mars
Years ago

future of championship grade over Easter @ Norwood

looking at the nominations for u14 / u12g championship - the next generation of melbournians aren't coming - staying home for gaze / timms invtational.

our kids are in "a" grade and we are really happy with the standard and teams that are here (thanks to NZ and Alice )- talking to the vics they are all metro 2-3 level.

we are really happy with the organization and our plaudits to norwood for running a good tourney.

we would have been happy paying an extra $20 team nomination for programmes though.

Q - for the norwood heriachy - if they run it as a $ spinner - it will not matter as div 2-3-4 teams get a good tournament. But it used to be a good start / gauge to the classics - no knox, melbourne, bulleen, dandy, eltham, frankston.

looks like timms and gaze have stolen this one.

Topic #22655 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

That sounds great except that the Gaze Timms Tournament was postponed. Not enough interest.

There will be high years and low years. It always varies grade to grade depending on the particular coach.

Reply #272692 | Report this post

VicTOR  
Years ago

Knox only sends teams at coach discretin.Not strongly supported by our club due to costs after the eltham/dandy tourny and then classic.Some teams have been hears to say it costs a lot of money and time to go to SA just to play against Vic teams

Reply #272698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U14 Boys Championship has a great turnout of Vic teams. About 8 although missing the top 4 teams with Melbourne, Geelong, Diamond Valley and Knox not present. Pity as they are really the benchmark teams. But with only Sturt offering any local competition, one has to agree with VicTOR re "why bother".

Reply #272724 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Will that increase next year with Michael Rogers taking over and looking to invite more teams?

I think there will be a major push next Easter for more interstate teams to come...even ? some from across the Tasman....

Reply #272727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure Rogers is employed as a Development Officer not to run this event. Why would they demote staff that have tournament experience for someone like Rogers? Do they have to give Rogers a role at Easter to help pay his wage?

Reply #272728 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

I think you may want to get more info..

I'm not starting rumors, I have read some of the emails regarding this.

Reply #272731 | Report this post

pobos21  
Years ago

BMF you really make some unusual comments sometimes. Why would more teams turn up just because Rojo has anything to do with the running of the tournament? As if Melbourne Tigers are going to turn up just because he asks them nicely. I think they'd be more likely to say "who is this guy anyway??"

Reply #272732 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Nah i wasnt getting at that...Part of his role is to chase teams...relying on the usual suspects has it's limits..

as for unusual...thats me! :-)

Reply #272734 | Report this post

Triton 18  
Years ago

The only way more team would turn up is if Norwood and Sturt got together like Eltham and Dadenong and ran a joint carnival.

Reply #272735 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Yeah, I can see that happening..lol

To be honest I think there is enough carnivals for the Vic teams to go in to not worry about SA's stuff...

Reply #272737 | Report this post

pobos21  
Years ago

Fair enough BMF, I see your point.

As for a Norwood-Sturt joint venture - can you imagine!!

Reply #272740 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Who is this Rogers guy??

Reply #272802 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

A bit off topic, but I wanted to thank the organisers for another great Easter Carnival. Everything went off for my team without a hitch and the kids enjoyed the weekend.

Thanks again!

Reply #272959 | Report this post

KG Fan  
Years ago

From an U16 point of view I think there were two notable problems with the Norwood Classic this year.
1. Potentially the 5 best U16 Melbourne teams stayed home this year. DV, KX, WB, NW, M
2. And the SA teams were below par with the exception of Sturt.

As a result the level of play was not strong even in the finals.
Some minor notables
- no programs
- no shot clock...wtf?
- Referees were bordering on disgusting in some pool games...putting refs on championship games when they are not ready does not help them.

Overall, the tournament was a sucess and we will be back next year with the hope that the standard of teams improves somewhat.

P.S. Absolutely loved the Webcasting of the final. Hopefully this becomes a permanent fixture.

Reply #273241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My problem is related to the number of teams and getting fairly close games. In our group we had three blow out wins, one blow out loss and one close game. Basically only one game helped our team. This is more of a problem for the A grade comp.

Reply #273344 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:38 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754