KingJames
Years ago

Sixers sign ex-Tiger Daniel Johnson

An interesting signing. I don't think many of us were thinking we were after him.

The Hood Sweeney Adelaide 36ers have secured the services of one of the most sought after free agents in the market in 6'11 Daniel Johnson.

Johnson comes to the 36ers for two years after spending time with the Melbourne Tigers. Johnson was able to demonstrate his capabilities in the absence of the injured Chris Anstey and showed enough skill and promise to be courted by several clubs.
Article on 36ers site

Topic #22670 | Report this topic

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Who is Daniel Johnson?

Reply #272945 | Report this post

Kevin Malone  
Years ago

Who did he play for last season?

Reply #272946 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Was with the Tigers. Scored well against Adelaide each time they played us I think.

Reply #272947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a young big from melbourne

Reply #272948 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

I think I heckled this guy in a thread waaay back when. Better change my stripes.

Reply #272949 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Averaged 11 and 4 in 18 minutes last season. Best thing is that he's 22 years old so the 36ers could have locked in their young Australian player in the form of a quality prospect.

He had 66 points in a SEABL game the other year.

His NBL stats are here.

Reply #272951 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Ah, that seems logical. That's more production than we got from David Cooper (though I don't know how good this Johnson is defensively).

Reply #272952 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Defense is where he needs to improve. He's still very young and all about scoring at this point. Viewed as one of the best centre prospects in the league, I'd say.

In 3/4 games against the 36ers last season, he came in and scored a really efficient barrage of points. Had 11 twice and 17 once against us in about 20ish minutes each time. Was 79% from the line and gets there fairly often.

Depending who they sign around him in the paint, I think he's a good pick-up.

Reply #272953 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Good signing IMO i woulda guessed he was going to perth, (only because he was from there and i saw articles about perth chasing him) looks like Clarke has started off well bringing in young talent as we woulda expected from his AIS background, and this is a massive upgrade on Molitor for the U23 now U24 position, good move NBL making it U24, as he is only 22.

Did we bring him in to start? or split the minutes with say Ben Allen or Luke Schenscher?

Im hoping we end up with something like

C Schesncher/Allen
PF Ballinger/Johnson

but probably more realisticly have Schesncher or Allen with Johnson as Allen seems to have a decent reputation and probably would want more minutes than being behind Schenscher, Ballinger and Johnson would give you, unless Ballinger does leave and Clarke is happy to start say Johnson at PF along side a Schenscher with someone like Holmes or Forman as the back up PF,

What do people think of say

C Schenscher/Allen
PF Johnson/Holmes

or

C Johnson/Allen or Schenscher
PF Ballinger/Holmes

Anyways good siging will be interesting to how the roster shapes up!

Reply #272955 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

DJ is a very promising talent and performed well given an opportunity with the Tigers. His minutes fell drastically when Anstey returned.

He is a great pickup and a centre who can score. He had a 70 point game a season or so back in Big V from memory too when he played for Melbourne aganst Warrnambool I think.

Reply #272957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

great signing... GUN

Reply #272958 | Report this post

Bettyleadfoot  
Years ago

Good signing. We should get more from him as an under 23 than we did Molitor. Would see him as replacing Cooper with a better scoring upside and potential to develop.

Reply #272963 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think he might be starting. Plan could be to look at what he can do with a bigger share of the offence. Bit like Tragardh getting his break with the Hawks (which turned out pretty well for them).

Reply #272966 | Report this post

Tripod  
Years ago

Surely get him coming off the bench and go hard after Schenscher now! Love the fact this guy is just 22 and has some touch.

Reply #272971 | Report this post

shano  
Years ago

Great signing! He reminds me of a young Bradtke, not to put much pressure on! Where does this leave Burston, I got the feeling in the CLarke interview when he signed that he mentioned potential in Hill Ng and Holmes and talked up Schencsh but didnt mention Burston. Im happy we got Johnson. Go Sixers.

Reply #272973 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I like this signing too. If Burston is not sticking around, I'd still like to get Luke back as well though. Johnson and Schenscher would be a good one-two punch at centre and hopefully we can retain Ballinger, though it sounds like the Tigers might nick him at this stage.

Reply #272974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd hope Schenscher is still in the plans. If we lose Ballinger I wouldn't be too thrilled with DJ starting. Decent up and coming young player but is way too soft, poor rebounder and not much defensively. Never met a shot he hasn't liked either.

Reply #272977 | Report this post

No need for Schenscher - DJ is a good signing !

Reply #272992 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Is there a connection between Clarke and Johnson?

Not that I care, but I really want to see how much of an influence Marty is going to have with regard to this...

Hoping alot to be honest...

Reply #272993 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

I like it. He could end up being elite.

Reply #272995 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Johnson:

Returns to Australia to join the Tigers as their 'Young Australian Player' following a short USA College stint with Pepperdine University (NCAA Div1) ... averaged 9.4 points and 3.4 rebounds with Pepperdine in 2007/08 ... scored a career-high 19 points against the Pacific Tigers ... represented Australia at the 2007 Under 19 World Championship in Serbia where the team finished fifth overall with an 8-1 record ... was the second highest scorer at the 2007 Under 20 Nationals behind Patrick Mills ... 2007 Championships Johnson averaged 24.3 points, 12.8 rebounds and was named in the Tournament All-Star Five team ... attended the AIS... Part of 2008 Melbourne Tigers Big V team.
Clarke probably coached him at AIS. Thinks very highly of Johnson so this wasn't a selection just by SOS or anything.

Reply #272996 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Very happy with that signing.

Reply #272998 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Ng and Johnson are good signings, the only negative is that they are possibly the worst two defenders in the NBL.

Reply #273004 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

This is a great signing. Johnson killed us in the Hodge-stomp game.

Reply #273008 | Report this post

Shotclock  
Years ago

Interesting signing.Good value and levered from Melbourne.Why the move to a bottom team with a (lets say) a green new coach? .The only other signing is a SOS relative(who i like )!

Frankly i will be left stunned at who can be signed in any fashion .

Reply #273011 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Hmmm, i can see a very young side on the court this year...

he has shown his cards early enuff to suggest the same..

still like it...

Reply #273025 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

-'Best thing is that he's 22 years old so the 36ers could have locked in their young Australian player in the form of a quality prospect.'

Isaac, isn't Schenscher only 26?, I strongly believe this signing rules out Schenscher for a roster spot.

Reply #273032 | Report this post

Tripod  
Years ago

A, Schenscher is 28, and proving with court time, is a very valueable piece of the puzzle for any team. Ala the Schenscher that played minutes for the 6ers, well after Ninnis got a clue, and started him! I really hope the 6ers go after Luke, ill be a happy season ticket holder if they do!

Reply #273033 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Yeah, only thing there is his 10 point rating...

Reply #273035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From attempting to decypher every clue from those who might have some sort of partial idea *cough* isaac */cough*

I think there's a (strong) likelihood Ballinger won't be returning alternative options are being sort if Balls rejects the 36ers and that Schenscher is possibly unlikely to be a 36er (reasoning could be because of the ridiculous 10 points he takes up?).

which means..

Maybe an import SG and PF? A small forward to replace Holmes (possibly Rush if he doesn't go to the Kings)

What's Markovic doing these days? Has he maintained the kind of talent he had on leaving the NBL?

Reply #273045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Decipher*

Reply #273047 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Ballinger will be a Sixer, if that helps.

Reply #273056 | Report this post

Annex2  
Years ago

Excellent signing. As Isaac said, needs to improve defensively, but has quick feet, runs the floor well, gets on the glass at both ends and shows signs of developing a quality post game.

I'd like to see him bulk up a bit - he tended to get shoved around on the occasions I saw him - but there's no doubt he's one of the rising stars of the game in this country. Provided the Sixers surround him with some decent frontline talent I'd say he'll wind up being a valuable acquisition.

Reply #273070 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

A Vukona type player would be good to line up alongside DJ if we start him. Someone who will scrap and rebound hard. Herbert should be a must keep for perimeter defense as well.

Reply #273086 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Who is he? He was a talented WA junior who had a serious attitude problem. Seems to have improved that since joining the Tigers.

Reply #273087 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Good signing but if Ballinger joins Johnson and Ng we better start picking some defensive players which I am sure they are aware of.
Herbert surely must be one we grab ASAP
Why are Holmes and Herbert looking for options elsewhere.

Reply #273088 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

I've noticed a few people from this post have avoided commenting on this thread.

Reply #273125 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Like me? All I can say is that it's a good signing.

Reply #273186 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

he'll be much better player than Burston IMO. So a great pick up for you guys.

personally I see him as a dominant big for Adelaide; and NBL. This kid can play!

Reply #273191 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:50 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754