tripple
Years ago

U18 Nationals -Predictions???

Whos everyone's prediction for the U18 nationals starting on Sat?

Topic #22723 | Report this topic

Gosford  
Years ago

The ladies is a contest between Vic Metro and Qld South.
I would say injuries and fatigue will play a part.
Both these teams will play the other side of the pool in the semi. I suspect Vic metro will be better placed for the semi e=ven if they play 1st in the other group.
SA country could miss out because of the hard pools.

SA metro have the soft pool, but they will need to play above themselves to get through.
Qld Noth and Nsw are the issues in this pool, with WA metro having a good group 2 years ago...they could be the smokey?

The team coming fifth will be better than forth this year, with such uneven groups.

Reply #273624 | Report this post

Jane  
Years ago

Tomorrow live stats

Girls
Sa metro vs Qld North
http://linky.com.au/nk3y6
Boys
SA Metro Vs Nsw Country
http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/8/01/85/51/16S0ORrvDo5E/

Reply #273774 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Good luck to all 4 SA Teams.

Would be great to see all the teams do exceptionally well.

Reply #273779 | Report this post

Jane  
Years ago

SAM girls up 87-48 over QLD Nth

SAC Boys down 86 -78 in OT! to Vic Country

SAC Girls on here http://linky.com.au/csj9e

Reply #273892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee Gosford,
What an interesting wrap. Nationals don't have soft pools. Vic are always strong and yes Qld south are good but as many past carnivals have shown, it's a title up for grabs.

I don't know how you could say that the S A Country girls might miss out (presumably medal) because it has a tough draw when it has half the Australian U17 team in it and a shite full of AIS and identified players in it. I agree not many would have predicted the forty point thrashing handed out to SA country today but it's about time these superstars produced the goods or a reassessed.

Reply #274070 | Report this post

Terrigal Trev  
Years ago

Going to be very hard for SA country girls to get through to finals mwdals,after huge loss today to Qld Sth.
They have to beat Vic Metro in the morning (who just beat NZ by 80)
Watched their game today and they just have not got enough weapons and get weaker at bottom end of bench.The starters did very well but wait of numbers got the better of them.
Final should be now Vic Metro V QLd Sth,I cant see anyone from other pook getting close to to either

Reply #274079 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Metro girls seem to be doing well tho.

I guess we will see after tomorrow's game if today's loss for the SA Country girls will be a major setback.

SA Country men have had loss number 2 which will stop any top four chances now I would think...

Metro men are sitting top at the moment tho...

Reply #274091 | Report this post

Gosford  
Years ago

re: U18 Nationals -Predictions???
Nationals do have soft pools and in this case pool b is an easier path. Terrigal Trev confirms this.

Country will come fifth if they can keep it all together after the disappointment of yesterday. They will be better than the team who comes 4th.

SAM girls having beaten NSW are sitting pretty atm.

Looks like VIC Country may be the other pool B team.

Trev
Do you still think pool A will have both finalists?

Reply #274101 | Report this post

Ariel 98  
Years ago

Not only do they need to beat Vic this morning, they need to cover a margin of 25 or so. So yeah, they're done for top 4 I'd say...

Metro girls still need to beat Vic Country to make top 4. Can also sneak in with a 1 point loss. Really would have preferred Vic C to beat NSW Met to eliminated them completely, and just play Vic C for top spot.

Country boys most likely looking 5-8 now... probably shouldn't slip any further. Disappointing loss after being up double digits vs Qld South.

Metro boys still yet to really hit their strides but if they can win the rest of their pool they'll still make top 4, and that should be doable if they start playing to their potential.

Reply #274102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gosford, when are you going to stop making excuses for your team.

Reply #274107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic metro over sa country women by 12. Was a winable game but they had no offensive structure in the fourth which led to bad shooting options.

Reply #274112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That might be the week gone for the SA Country ladies.

Reply #274126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apart from NSW Metro in the girls, the SA Metro girls will sleep walk into the top four. Some of the BSA club teams would win games in this pool.

Certainly lopsided, to suggest that it isnt shows very little knowledge about the states or teams competing.

Reply #274132 | Report this post

Terrigal Trev  
Years ago

Qld sth are about 10-15 better than metro girls in my opinion.Faster guards and talls that will run out the WHOLE game.
Sth country girls were impressive against Vics and apparently the Vics were always concerned with this game as they see that they match up really well.
several people without bias were heard to say that it was one of the best games of 18 womens basketball you could ever see.It really did have everything and in the last quarter I believe the superior fitness and better rotation of players enabled the vics to break the game open.(Vics had 9 that could all start in any other team)
It was great to watch and even though the stats will not refelct it there was some awesome shooting by both teams in the first half.
The Vics seem to have gone up a notch and if the country girls had played that way against QLD they would have got away with that game ...TOO LITTLE TOO LATE
IMO Vic metro vs Sa Metro (vic by 25)
Qld Sth vs NSW metro (qld sth by 15)
Final =Vic Metro vs Qld sth (Vics by 18)

Reply #274135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terrigal stay off the turps! Vic country will take care of business and cruise to the finals to set up a grand final berth whereas if south aussie country had quality guards you might still be in town.

Reply #274148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huge game tomorrow with sa metro v Vic country, winner goes thru. Sa metro possibly carrying a few injuries, and a lackluster performance against tassie today, Vic country will be a tough ask. I'm not positive sa metro will make it

Reply #274149 | Report this post

Terrigal Trev  
Years ago

Vic Country MAIN scorer out injured

Reply #274163 | Report this post

Terrigal Trev  
Years ago

Just a question when you judge the country girls guards ,The vics 2 guards are quality and I thought they were as good as them

Reply #274169 | Report this post

Terrigal Trev  
Years ago

Just a question when you judge the country girls guards ,The vics 2 guards are quality and I thought they were as good as them

Reply #274171 | Report this post

Gosford  
Years ago

Today at 10.30 SA time SAM girls play Vic C

If We win we go top of pool B.
I have done the loss but can some one check this?
SA VS NSW SA +1
Nsw VS VIC NSW +3

In a 3 way tie NSW are +2

So ONLY if we lose then:

Loss by 1 to Vic then :
SA 0
Vic -2
We go 2nd.
Loss by 2 to VIC then:
SA -1
Vic-1
Tie with vic then vic goes in??????
Loss to vic by 3+ then SA comes third in the pool.

So this game http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/8/01/85/33/23To6kJxyGhpE/ is so important.

Reply #274183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From what I understand that is correct Gosford - the SAM girls can win and come top, lose by 1 and come 2nd or lose by 2 or more and come 3rd.

Interesting potential scenario - if you are down 1 with 15 secs left and they have possession, do you foul to send them to the line and go for the win and come top, but potentially lose by 2/3 and come 3rd, OR do you take the 1 pt loss and go through in 2nd??

Reply #274192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA metro up by 32 at half time

Reply #274193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By 36 at 3/4

Reply #274197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SAC girls lost their third match today to Tasmania, a soft pool team, according to Terrigal and Gosford which only highlights just how overrated the country team was. I say was, because I think the penny has dropped for most following another excuse filled debacle which will see them play off for 7th or 8th spot.

Qld south proved too strong for metro girls but by a margin of 6 points unlike the 33 point hiding Qld gave the country girls but then country lost to Tasmania, a team metro belted by 24 which says a lot.

Gosford said country would finish 5th if they kept it all together and they'd be better than the team that finished 4th because of soft pools. Seems like the soft pool girls new who was soft and it wasn't the pools.

Reply #274333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sac women
-time for new coaches - did they interact with players at all
- disastrous bench rotation
- shooting disgraceful especially from supposed two superstars
- these girls never play as a team what is going on been together a long time
- body language maybe says it all

Reply #274338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can you really blame the girls themselves here? The boys have a equally poor performance. After day 1 they have gotten worse and worse and are now playing off for 11/12th.

Looking at the processes they use, and the poor quality from the top down. We keep hearing how they are doing all this "great work" in the development process yet their best kids are metro kids from SASI and not really country.

But the person pulling the strings, appointing coaches and teams has no results at any level. A 9th placed finish himself and a heap of underachidevements in charge. He has alienated all te clubs and elite programs that develop their kids and does not seem to accept any accountability for poor results.

They continually let their kids eat poorly and do no recovery and have coaches who would rather be down at the pub than communicating to their kids. And these same people keep being given the job by someone who doesn't have a clus himslef.

If the country board doesn't wake up soon, they will contiune to have underperforming teams and players missing out on opportunities they are bound by their mission statement to provide

Reply #274344 | Report this post

juno93  
Years ago

Personally I think it is time for SAC to do a sweep out of coaches and start from scratch. Part of the problem is that there is no depth of coaches, so people who wouldn't even get near an AC job in Metro, end up as Head Coaches. JB needs to do a little bit of head hunting and find the right people for these jobs.

Reply #274346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Totally agree the girls try their guts out, but when your leadership is weak it will travel down through the coaches staff and eventually to the players. Even with the quality of players available and I don't just mean the starting five which has inexplicably changed throughout the week, why keep a 193cm capable player onthe bench is beyond me but I'm sure that's another story, can't get it together there hasto be some serious management problems, at least the team manager was great this year

Reply #274347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A clean out is definitely needed but start with JB SAC is a joke that's why they have such crap leading these kids - for heavens sake wake up and smell the coffee instead of the beer!!!

Reply #274349 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

It surprises me that other states do not at least try to imitate the level of attention to detail that the Vics seem to have.Not trying to have a go at other states but when you look at the cool downs ,eating ,hydration everything appears orchestrated compared to a haphazard style of some others.
Whilst I would argue about actual team selection ,you can not help to be impressed by the big blue machine that continues to roll on.As in business I think you should hunt down "best practice" and then attemp to mimick it.
Even in down times or days off the Vics appear as teams with tight control on what they wear and where they go.I think the best way of saying it would be the Vics come to win the tournament not to win a game

Reply #274353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think you will find SA metro do it as well, hence their good results compared to SA country. THey have even had Ice baths for recovery. While Sa country are down the road eating birgers, pizza, coke and coffees.

Reply #274377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am amazed at all the comments for the past two years everyone has seen the problem of the coaches, that is everyone except JB. Some of the coaches in the Albury teams could have done a better job than SP and TI last week. Yes you only had to look at the body language of the players and it said it all. Predicted top four and finished 7th if heads dont roll this year then SA country Basketball will take a huge dive and what are they doing about the players that choice to do netball, some of the better players were not even encouraged chased or talked too just to keep them in the program, coaches attidute was poor wants to get their heads out their ass and get off the piss and start realising it is about the kids not themselves.

Reply #274483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It has been interesting to watch all the attention was on the U/18 girls no one has payed any attention to the U/16 even at the trainings this stood out. The dream team and super coaches have fallen yet it will be interesting how well the U/16 girls go and im even more amazed they are going away with only one assistant coach that has never been away before at National level, why hasnt SACB has PS, MQ, DT to go only to help out all have shown good results at Albury then again guess they are not in the elite group. I wish Tev, Shaun and girls all the best as they are the trus dream team.

Reply #274485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good point about the coaches.

Reply #274490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes good point if SACB was serious about the nationals why have they not got another coach helping the U/16 girls this is the future U/18's.

Reply #274491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because the rot is coming from the top. This has been happening for years now. All trying to climb on hte coat tails to prove they can win. When really it is only draging the kids down. Funny that last year there was 3 assistant coaches on the U16 girls.

When someone with no clue is in charge, these issues continue to arise. And will continue until a change is made.

Reply #274498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can blame the country coaches, who many think should have taken only the 5 players they played, but who at different times have been described as great pre-tournament except essentially it comes down to the players who have collectively underperformed since U 12's yet been rewarded with easy passages at state level and have enjoyed the promotions only extended to S A country kids to the detriment of players all over Australia. Talent must include heart and soul. This group seem individually focussed and are beaten by less talented teams who play with desire and put team first.
Every year was going to be their year. Maybe now the long list of failures at these carnivals should be rewarded with fewer opportunities at higher level because like the hills road, it seems more than a little bent. When the previous AIS head coach was in office some country players, not all, seemed to be given more opportunities than they deserved from successive country teams who finished nationals in the lower half. Let's hope they begin to look at girls from all over the country and judge on wider criteria and disregard the input of S A selectors and coaches.

Reply #274531 | Report this post

amused  
Years ago

seems funny to me that all bar 1 0r 2 of these posts bagging the SAC coaches are anonymous posters!! too gutless to put your name to the posts!!

Whilst i agree that the SAC teams under performed, is it really always the coaches fault?? Thse coaches put a lot of their own unpaid time into this job, and for what? to continuously cop flack over the results.

If there are better coaches out there that could do a better job, who are they??

Reply #274549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

seems funny to me that someone named "amused" is bagging other people for being anonymous.

Reply #274555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The girls team were extremly overated, comprising of some good individuals, but unfortunetly they played this way to. They finished 6th two years ago & have lost several key support players from that group. The head coach won a medal for his group two years ago, & the assistant coach was a part of the silver medal group from last year. Perhaps they should have improved their rankings, but I hardly think that the coaching staff dropped the ball.
The tournament is finshed, end of story

Reply #274559 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Amused, you are replying like someone very close to the action. I would hazard a guess and say you are indeed one of the coaches? If not 'The' coach. Could be wrong, but if you are not, you certainly are close enough to the group, to be honest it is refreshing to see one of you reply. I certainly know you guys read this forum, and at times it is disappointing to see some of the comments at SA Country coaches, but at the end of the day, while coaches do this job unpaid, the parents pay a shitlaod for this.

The $ factor for what they have paid out for their child and then if they go and watch, this little exercise would cost near $10K(Nationals) and that is just going away, not the trainings and all the other stuff on top. But parents don't care about the money if the results are their. If they see all members of the team putting in (Coaches & Players) then often they will be happy, but if they see and hear about the extra activities going on...Hoops.com.au comes alive! They have expectations as coaches do.

Parents are not blind, hence the "smell the coffee instead of beer" comments. But more importantly they get the inside word from their children.

As for calling for change. Comes with the business, how often do we see people pay for poor performances? Ninnis? Smythe? Valk? And that is in SA, and only in basketball. What about football, even today’s paper calls for Neil Craig. Get realistic if you don’t think that people will be after a coach with a sub par performance.

Is there time for a change? I would say so, and I would think Jason would be thinking the same too. Results count. 7th isn’t the result when there are some talented ladies in the side, and more so when the team coaches went away with top 2 finish in their sights.

I would say Trudy would be looking to get into that group at the 1 spot and not the 2 spot, A guy from Millicent, another Forestville coach who wasn't coaching this year, perhaps the 16's nationals coach who had success last year with the group?...There is 4 that would be up to the job and all have the reputations to take over.

I know they have all been chucked around before, but this year one has put herself in the right spot to take over with a smooth transition.

BMF

Reply #274681 | Report this post

amused  
Years ago

Sorry BMF, but i am most definately not the coach!!! I just wonder if it is always the coach to blame. I argue this point in other sports as well (although in the crows case i think its time for Neil Craig to go!!). Especially in this SAC U18 Girls side, i mean these girls have consistantly under performed at every tournament right through the age groups. Therefore is it the fault of every coach that has coached them, or does some of the blame lie with the girls?? Also, the coach you are all referring to has won a bronze medal a couple of years ago, how quickly that is forgotten!

In regards to your point about coaches always being under scrutiny and its just part of the deal, yes it is, but the coaches you are talking about (Neil Craig,Vicki Valk etc) are all paid for their services, slightly different to people volunteering their time, and from my understanding (from the amount of training camps, sessions etc) it is a huge amount of their time given to this commitment. I thikn people should remember that these people are not getting paid for any of it and are doing their best and therefore do need the scrutiny and public backlash that 'paid' coaches get!

Good to hear that there are some other coaches that you think are good enough to take over if this coach does get the chop! Just hope you dont turn around and call for their heads if they have a bad performance next year!! otherwise this circus just continues!!

Reply #274691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it is more than just the coaches fault, but alos the processes from the top down. If the coaches aren't shown how to properly scout, how to properly plan, eat and recover properly, then it is in fact further up the line that blame should rest. And if that person has no results or plan themselves, and don't go looking for those processes, then hey should share the blame.

Reply #274693 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

So because the SA Coaches don't get paid (Which we know isn't entirely true), they should just stay there forever?

Coaches get moved on for the very reasons we are talking about..Lack of performances. 3 years ago was a bronze, last year was 9th, this year 7th...Do you just get the job then stick around for as long as need be? All because it is a volunteers job?

If you don't think there is anyone else in the SA Country program I think you are misguided by your loyalty.

Reply #274695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is funny, the coaches named above never got any decent result in nearly 10 years of walk up starts.
I am glad my kids are metro. This doesnt do country program much credit.

Reply #274707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All the 18 girl's coaches need to go - end of story. Just for their selection blunders alone but to play essentially only five or six players and allow the team to be in competition with each other rather than focus on the nationals was absurd.

Reply #274710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm an outsider who looks on with some interest at the goings on here. I have a daughter in this age group who played against both SA teams during the week.

Without being privy to any of the machinations of the team I'd say there was something amiss with the country girls. Some odd coaching decisions in the game against us and some inconsistent performances from players over the week.

Again, as an outsider, I'd say that the group has plenty of talent, but for (probably) a variety of reasons it doesn't always show (their game against the Vic M girls received rave reviews and I heard from a Vic M parent that they were only really worried about SA Country coming into the tournament).

As a coach myself I'm loathe to bag other coaches but I think its a reality that it will be the coaches who are shown the door long before any of the key players in the age group (not suggesting that is the answer at all) are discarded. Vic Metro coaches have a much larger margin for error than most, because their talent is so deep - from selection mistakes to preparation mistakes to game-coaching mistakes, that talent level can cover up a lot of mis-steps.

Almost every other team relies on a 'perfect storm' of player talent, coaching preparation and execution and then a few matters like landing on the 'good' side of the draw (seems the Metro readers don't like the idea of one pool being tougher than another ;)). Ultimately it must be the coaches responsibility to deliver this 'perfect storm'.

Reply #274721 | Report this post

amused  
Years ago

BMF - im happy for the coaches to be replaced if there are better coaches out there to take over (and i say 'if' not because i dont think there is anyone, but because i do not know if there is as i am not involved. I think you misenterpreted what i was saying earlier). What i do have a problem with is the public backlash and people getting stuck into these coaches who give up their own time (mainly weekends) to do the best that they can with little incentive, and then get strips torn of of them when the result is not as expected. It is not necessary to get personal and attacking, as if this is what is going to happen after every competition that the result is not excellent, then who in their right mind would want to take up these jobs without getting paid!!!

So what happens when you sack this coach, a new one comes in and they get another bad performance at nationals, so you sack that coach and another one comes in and so on. It does not provide any stability or confidence for players, parents, coaches etc. Sometimes its best to persavere and try to improve rather than knee jerk react!

But on another note, im not sure you can say that the coach has had no results/poor results, when they did get a bronze only a few years ago, last year they got 9th but didnt really have a team that was going to get any better - the talent was pretty low. And this year they got 7th which was dissapointing, however this group of girls have failed to live up to their 'dream team' status throughout all age groups. therefore what i am saying is that is it all the coaches fault? Basically they played one bad game that let them down (against tasmania), but remember they did only lose to Vic Metro (who won the championshp) by 12 or so, so had that one bad game gone differently then the result would have been much better.

I wonder why after every loss or bad streak (im talking all sports now, AFL, WNBL, State level etc) that there is so much finger pointing and head hunting. I think that sometimes you play a bad game, or lose an important game etc, and the onnly way to get better is to accept it and move on, and try to get better. All of this finger pointing doesnt do anyone any good especially when it comes from people who stay at home, dont get invlolved dont put their finger up to volunteer etc and generally just like to whinge when things dont go their way. And when you rely on people to volunteer their time, i say who would want to when this is the reaction they get!! I certainly wouldnt!

Reply #274723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Funny how the same country failures have been successful once they have moved to U20's with a metro coach!!

Reply #274724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Funny how Vic Metro and NSW metro didnt have their strongest teams like they did in Ballarat. U20 is a totally different kettle of fish. Its a non event really.

Reply #274726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe coaches do have a lot to answer for, the girls couldve achieved a far better result if he played the whole team, he didn't from the games I saw, I don't think the dynamics of the girls on court worked, too many individuals proving themselves for u17 selection to the detriment of the team, was always going to be a problem, and that is the responsibilty of the coaches and staff to control. Just my opinion. I realist that sac is run a great deal on volunteers but that is their choice, they don't have to and whilst volunteers are necessary it doesn't mean they shouldn't be accountable for the results, parents pay good money in the hope their child will do well and gain something positive from national because it may be the highest level many of them will play.

Reply #274735 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Amused,

You need to see who else they lost to. QLD Sth was the first loss, and not only just. Mind you there is a couple of talented young girls in that side.
Have a look and you will see who and by how much.

Now your happy that they can get a bronze, then have a shit team and get 9th...that's OK, but low and behold get a decent team this year and 7th is ok too?

They may all do it for free, but someone is paying...Parents. Your only thinking of the coaching panel. Parents have paid dearly for a sub standard result and yes at the end of the day change is needed.

The girls haven't failed to live up to the status, they had silver last year..16's remember? That is if your OK with a bronze then you must be OK with silver.

If you think 5 years and then looking to get a new coach is knee jerk, with only 1 medal..

I guess I'm not OK with poor results, but that's me as a person. I would like to think that SA Country aren't either. After all, that is what Albury and Pt Mac are about, developing to get a nationals team that goes away and have success. I understand rebuilding, but in programs like this, there isn't a rebuilding because it is just build and go, so no rebuild.

That's the nature of this state basketball beast.
I guess we will find out in 3 or 4 months time when coaches are selected again.

Reply #274758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps SAC needs to have some KPI's and then the coaches will know whats expected of them, this would then stop all the excuses from Amused (the coach), of course he's happy with 9th whats he got to answer for.

But yes you have to blame the players its their fault SAC gave them two under performing coaches, their fault they did not play as a team, their fault that they under performed and their fault they lost the games. The head coach showed leaderships skills (poor decisions), demonstrated passion (did not care), had good communication (from the pub)and the assistant was put their because she knew all the kids (big mistake JB).

Reply #274865 | Report this post

amused  
Years ago

once again i am not the coach, in fact i have no direct link to state basketball whatsoever!

Think what you like but you are very WRONG!!

I will only say this one more time - i dont have an issue with the coach being replaced if there is someone better to take over. I am just sick of all the finger pointing, name bashing, personal attacks that happen to people who volunteer their time. Same goes for umpires etc. The more you continue to do this the harder it will be in the future to get people to do these types of jobs!

I just think that the coach is an easy target for blame, and maybe he is not the only one to blame, you also have players, parents, assistants and higher up! Pity its always the coach that has to answer to it. Which in my opinion will never resolve the issues!

oh well seems i am the only one to think this, so keep on going with your blind sighted ways and you will keep getting the same reults over and over, a lot of you people will never be happy and will always find something to whinge about. Good luck to the next coach that takes over if this one gets shown the door, hope they dont cop as much flack as this, altough im gathering if they dont make the grand final they will most likely cop the same shit as it seems that is the only way to avoid it!!

Reply #274896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Amused - you do seem to be taking it rather personally. The coach of the Qld Sth team (2nd) has been slammed this week as well - got lucky, had a good group of players. I was told last week Vic Metro coaches get one instruction - win! It's a job lot - you want the job, you wear the numpties having their say.

Reply #274897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On behalf of all the other parents, having children in SAC teams like myself, I would like the next 12 months to move quickly so this group of never ending bitching parents that seem to be associated with this team / age group finish and leave the program never to be seen or heard of again. Six years of it is just too long, to take for all of us.

Reply #274906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your up to date on the program for someone with no direct link.

Reply #274907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Funny how this group of kids have had great results at National Championships at club level, winning multiple classics Gold Medals and medalling at U14 clubs with metro coaches. And I am sure that once they make U20's, they will return to the medals, but while they stay in the coutnry enviroment, they struggle.

I too do not rest the whole blame on the coach/es. But rather a lack of direction and personal empire building from the top down. Maybe if they looked to involve themselves as coaches and program with BSA and its elite level programs, took advice, rather than create battles and tried to build their own little empire they might have success.

It as not just the girls who performed badly, the boys team played of for 11th and 12th which is not acceptable.

Reply #274922 | Report this post

footy fan  
Years ago

you can blame over protective parents, coaches and young players but basketball needs to look at development and education for all and sundry the game at district level is unbalanced with many poor games 50+ point wins and a good game every 3 weeks and players are burnt out by not having a mid season break. I am not saying footy is perfect but it is better with parent coach relationships and player coach relationships. And SASI is what i see how can i be better than my own team mate rather than how to make the team better. A good player scores the most points but a great player make their team better.

Reply #274941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

941: Exactly! Your point about good players and points opposed to great players and team. SASI does not share that ideal and promotes selfishness as its God probably because Gliddon is more comfortable identifying scorers than team players with potential.
Take a look at the state of South Australian sport in general and you will see teams of all persuasions under-performing because of the same head sets.
It seems that talent and ability can't be spotted unless it comes in predetermined body shapes and sizes just ask Cossie.

Reply #274945 | Report this post

footy fan  
Years ago

I looked at sporting pulse and again noticed some of the boys and girls under 18s and looked at the SASI kids foul counts limited fouls I suppose you foul out you can't score. And the shooting percentages for both teams were appaulling. The boys were definetely better in spreading minutes than the girls. Thank goodness the lad went from sac to metro as he takes alot of bad percentage shots as well.

Reply #274948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

footy fan,

So how is it that Metro finshed 3rd and 4th, while country finished 7th and 11th?

Reply #274958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give it a rest people, Nationals are over, it was very disappointing for SAC both boys and girls, there are serious problems there that need to be addressed but this forum is not the place to do it, it won't change anything here and it just makes the bitterness all the worse. I'm a SAC parent and yes I'm disappointed but if we want to change what is happening then we need to put it in writing to JB and the executive committee but I don't think anyone will do that for fear of reprisal. Maybe the top age parents could do something now that they are moving on, but do they care about the kids coming up through the system, I don't know.

Reply #274962 | Report this post

footy fan  
Years ago

(Mod: No discussing specific kids!)

Reply #274968 | Report this post

footy fan  
Years ago

not having a go at Metro but anybody wants to read sa footy forum all about issues and interest not a issue from parents is a pleasant change. I have a genuine interest in basketball but things need to change and decision makers in basketball need to be changed. I was impressed some years ago with Jenny herbert from millicent i think she would bench individual for not doing team based things. And SAC were ordinary with an individual breaching code of conduct on numerous occassions in Albury then that person attended Nationals. So make changes and hook onto sa footy forum cherio

Reply #274970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fall out's always hurt! With any fall out comes a consequence...Let's see if there is a consequence from 7th?

Reply #274975 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Think its about time SAC people stop bitching. I was there last week supporting Metro at the nationals and I thought your SAC boys did ok considering how small they where compared to all other teams. They lost 3 games by 8 that I saw and could have won any of those with some luck. They had a harder draw than our Metro lads and with any luck the places could have been reversed. One thing I did notice and agree with is that they do not seem to play as a team like they used to in the local comp. 3 of the better players seem to be competing against each other to be the highest scorer. They don't pass the ball and their shot selection was abysmal at times. Their team mates looked to be frustrated to put it kindly. The D was a little non existent at times to. Maybe size was the factor. The game is not about just scoring. The rest of the year will be interesting for them

Reply #274984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

984, is that a bitch?

Reply #275006 | Report this post

team  
Years ago

For 6 years I have watched sac teams go away and play and all they do is play as individuals. If you watch vic and nsw teams, they always play as teams which is why they win the close games and we cant. Teamwork should be thrust down from JB at the top to his coaches as he oversees the programme. Coaches need to be there for the kids not themselves.

Reply #275014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: You're an idiot. Go away.)

Reply #275079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NG has nothing to do with SAC, in fact I am not sure that he even disucsses coaches or playes with the person running SAC.

NG runs the metro program that finished 3rd and 4th. Vastly different to 7th and 11th.

How can you hold 1 person accountable for poor results in a program they had nothing to do with, when the program they are in charge of did well?

Reply #275090 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

#275090, saved me from saying it. Anon before that, please don't post on here again.

Reply #275124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Neil has had lots to do with SAC kids,several of the U18 group have attended sasi because they are borders or were able to. The recent metro team has finished ahead of the country team in 2008 and again in 2010 when the players have been constant but irrespective of where SAC finish they remain the great white hopes of S A basketball.Neil will openly tell you metro's silver in 2008 was unexpected and dismissed as a fluke and their bronze despite beating teams SAC were thrashed by was also a fluke.
These metro kids could have won gold and not been respected because they just make up the numbers.
The terrible thing about this is that they know it too.
Find out who get the individuals at sasi and then try and argue that sasi isn't a two tier organization.

Reply #275128 | Report this post

performance  
Years ago

Can I cut and paste that into my childs HP review form!!

SPOT ON!

Reply #275131 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:47 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754