BanksOpen
Years ago

HSH Semi Final Day Fun

Another day and two bite the dust. If you prefer the glass half full theory well were down to the final two instead.

And then there were two -
The Coasters who nobody gave a chance against the defensive minded Rays who havent been the locked down squad which you would expect on paper.

The two teams who bowed out today get their individual players ranked out of 10 (Oh the stir I can see this starting)

Make sure you read my previous posts because I don't give any charity concessions away before you start having a dip.

Rush
Coach - Sedale Threatt. 6 - The turnout can only get you so many scores, lacked any structure in the half court. The spooks sacked him in SEABL, would be interesting to have seen them play and what O they ran.
25 Michael Boone - 3 - Big Body but aint worth a nickel.
23 Lonnie Harrell - 3 - The number of jumpshots he made all tournament. Overrated and to put it in perspective imagine if Rose and Dillon shared half of his shots he took, they would of led the league in scoring.
9 Chris Brown - 1 - Barely played and got a few boards in the time he did.
22 Michael Rose - 6 - Showed with a team relying on him to score he just isnt consistent enough yet at his age, I would want him to show me in the next 12 months away from the NBL he wants it by putting numbers together at a good level and clip.
24 Brad Bridgewater - 6 - You saw today more of what he has been doing for the past 5 years in Australia. Every dog has their day and his was yesterday. Dont be thinking he can help any NBL program just because he had one decent game. Any big dog making a rim rattle impacts logical thought processes obviously.
10 Sedale Threatt Jr - 7 - Led the league in assists but isnt strong or smart enough to be the next Homocide so work on that jumper.
11 Yusuf Qaafow - 2 - Turnovers, turnovers and a truck load more of turnovers. Sorry he did make one corkscrew 3 ball.
12 Daniel Dillon - 9 - A genuine success story showing he has arrived.
14 Thalo Green - 5 - Got better as it went on but past his used by date.

Fleet
Coach Ken Cole - 8 - Did his part but team went away from the game plan when it mattered.
12 Troy Jackson - 7 - Sat alot in the semi because he was out of control and the start of the game put the writing on the wall by shooting 3 triples, not his game. Fearne should of waited a day or two because he scared him.
23 Willie Farley - 8 - Showed he is a pro by coming back looking in top shape and his game did the rest.
15 Brett Maher - 4 - Hit tough jumpers but was held in cotton wool during the preliminary games. Will the owner sack the coach for edition 2 of HSH?
21 Chris Goulding - 9 - Will continue to get better and better. His percentage was up and down though and missed some wide open ones today.
20 Riley Luettgerodt - 6 - Needs to work on his jumper in SA's ABL (Australia's weakest branch of ABA). The freedom and ability to demand the ball wont help his mindset though.
24 Luke Schenscher - 7 - Was great in patches but couldnt manage to score on D'Lan sorry Lancy Carter (remember we dropped the D) in the second half today which showed his NBL form of this year past.
7 Tom Daly - 1 - Keep developing if thats possible in that league over there.
25 Chris Molitor - 1 - The Tasmanian Tiger aka rarely sighted FORMER 36er
22 Oscar Forman - 4 - Went O/S with the Boomers on the most recent trip, they either handing those singlets out to anyone or he is on a downward spiral which NZ were smart enough to admit before most others would have.
32 Jeremiah Trueman - 4 - Lacked opportunities after a great showing day one.

So for the final its an easy one Shanahan will be schooled by his old mate Mac Daddy with his two a days playing a key role in giving the full time ballers tired legs. Bear sure as hell didnt sign up to train more than he has for the past 3 years of NBL combined in one week.

A shot at the fans - Kevin Ratzch is unproven and while he has been more consistent than Bridgewater their in the same bracket at present. Ratzch has the advantage of being younger, a new face out here and while he dominated in Ireland prior to arriving, after the BIGV season with Ringwood everyone can make an informed decision as he has Corletto, McMillan and some others to share the limelight with.

Not sure if he is one of the players Carfino eluded to today but the Tigers hierachy are looking at him especially with McPeake being a leprechaun.

Boti - We need an article with some flavor not the boring rubbish match report which you did today. It is the equivilent of John Rillie wearing a suit just aint your style.

JVG - Are you going to let me market this tournament for you next year? I know you read this because JR was on that mic today before Cal Bruton which would of pained you to do.

Lampley the bank is open for you again (within 3 feet) and dont forget Sunday I drop the bomb in my farewell speech.

If you require more of my humility (what does that mean) during the NBL season let me know I'm sure i can be of assistance when Adelaide stinking it up.

Topic #22739 | Report this topic

SRT070  
Years ago

on seperate note i think next year they should have a battle for third place on grand final day to keep the amount of games going. So if they did it this year rush and fleet could go at it for third place on sunday followed by the grand final of rays and coasters. I think that would be a good lead up. Plus the young guns out to prove themselves get more game time to do so

Reply #273849 | Report this post

Sign farley  
Years ago

Well Adelaide I think the time has come to announce a Farley contract. He will surely get picked up for this year as he showed true domination and played 4 hames in 4 days proving his body can handle (full 48 min games as ken cole didn't rest him) NBL is a mear 40 mins now.

Whoever wrote the top article did a good honest job and told it as it is. I know I am chopping and changing but why is Bridgewater nit an Aussie now ( maybe he wasn't organised enough to apply for visa) but if he was it is worth throwing him on the end of a bench.

Although D Dillon has improved I am not convinced his game is quite fit for the Nbl. On another note how damn old is Sedale Jnr, because I thought he was young but my eyes may be tricking me as he looked 30's on court.

Unfortunately for big Forman his days may be numbered in the NBL as I don't think he could fill one of the last 4 spots the sixers have of else Marty would gave recycled a team that was unsuccessful and where would the new blood or youth be that he has "ties" to. Remembering that Holmes is probly close to signing as well. That would leave one spot for an Aussie and 2 import spots. I think signing Hill, Ng, and Herbert was a big mistake as none of them have shown they are an up and coming force. Maybe Marty has already sold out to the politics of ownership. I would say take 1 or 2 of those three at the most, but to take three spots up with guys that will not put up consistent numbers is a waste of damn time and money and it will be frustrating. Has anyone noticed that there have been no new signings yet from a team that wooden spooned last season. The ownership bull&£&t needs to stop and a non political team needs to be made. Let's hope they add Farley a big and another awesome import to retain some chance of winning.

I know I blabbed on a bit but seriously am I the only one that noticed this S@&t. I guess I better apologise before the fans of the sixers attack me for speaking truthfully.

Out

Reply #273865 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Sign Farley, I know what you're saying about the Sixers roster. Though I haven't said anything yet, I am a bit concerned that the personnel from a wooden spooner is largely remaining intact so far.

To be fair though, Dan Johnson is a new signing with a lot of potential. Also, it would be a tough call to cut Balls loose. So can't really criticise those two signings in my book.

So I guess what we're really talking about here is Ng, Hill and Herbert. All three have their limitations and honestly I feel like only Hill really has the physical tools to be a starter on a top notch team. Problem there is he is still making a lot of poor decisions at this stage.

In an ideal world, the Sixers would have found a gun Aussie SF or SG scorer first and filled in around him, but I understand its not that simple - if they are a gun Aussie scorer, they're probably already locked up (see Goulding). So in the absence of that top tier talent, I can see why familiar faces have been locked up early. It just means that once again the Sixers will be highly dependent on the quality of their imports.

So I hope the remaining signings are all new faces really. Perhaps Holmes can be an exception - I have always liked his effort and rebounding - but its hard to see how he fits on this team because I see him as a PF and there just aren't enough minutes for him behind Balls.

As far (lol) as Farley goes, loved his play and attitude this week. He could work out as a one year guy if other, younger options fall through. I still worry that he could shoot the Sixers out of as many games as he wins for them though, particularly because I'm not sure he can consistently get to the rim anymore to keep that shooting percentage up!

Also, as I said above, the Sixers imports will be critical, so its a big risk relying on a guy in his late 30s staying healthy all season. I don't want a repeat of a couple of years ago when Maher and Davidson were constantly in and out of the lineup with niggling injuries.

Reply #273872 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

sign farley there is some truth to your post. With regards to ng hill and herbert but i would definately have signed herbert and ng without question. Herbert is a must. But before getting into the whole 'we are picking the same team we wooden spooned with' lets remember the first half of the season. We were equal first with perth and wollongong....now that we remember the victories lets remember the close games that could have been ours but werent due to the pressure and poor coaching...so in my opinion our team wasnt that bad it was that we lacked direction. And remembering this we also virtually only had one good import and the other a dud. Our team didnt have strong leadership which would have wwon alot of those games.

Give marty the benefit of the doubt and i think he wioll make this outfit work. Leadership like farley or jackson would be the spice we need

Reply #273873 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think people forget that the Sixers were only 7 games off top spot last year, and most of those 7 games occurred after Gilchrist was injured and with the other import a non-factor, and with a coach who installed a very passive defence and a poor offence.

Bring in two decent imports, including a real point guard as opposed to Gilchrist, and teach the team how to play defence and that team is competitive with anyone.

Wholesale changes arent needed, just more toughness defensively and more intelligence offensively, and that can be addressed by a change in coach and imports alone.

The one change in structure needed is an Aussie back up point so the second import can bring some athleticism to the frontcourt.

Reply #273890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which is why the Sixers should sign Brad Davidson again.

Reply #273906 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

i do agree that brad davidson would be a pretty good addition to the team. He doesnt crack under pressure like last years team. I cant believe he isnt in the nbl. He is so much better than alot of the clowns out there

Reply #273911 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

With Johnson the U24 player for the next two years, Davidson would certainly make sense, and would allow for more of a scoring combo guard in the import spot.

Reply #273912 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

In terms of an Aussie backup PG I would be tempted to look at someone like BJ Carter.
He plays a controlled game and knows how to run a team like a true PG. Should be a reasonably low Points Rating as well.

Reply #273928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whats with the hating on the SA ABL??

Reply #273931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how do you know jackson is going to cairns? did i miss something?

Reply #273933 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:01 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754