mystro
Years ago

Vukona back to being a Breaker

Mika Vukona has signed the dotted line and is a Breaker again on a long term contract subject to approval from Basketball Australia.
Great signing for the team, now as long as Rickerts residency goes through and he fills the last local spot the Breakers should be looking strong for this season as long as Penney doesn't get an NBA gig.

I think signed players are:

Bruton
Henare
Pledger
Webster
Abercrombie
Vukona
Penney
Boucher

Be interesting to see what positions the Imports fill and who they select. I was impressed with how Braswell fitted in and contributed in the PG spot freeing up CJ at SG, you would have to think with the Bear and Forman gone and Vukona/Boucher/Penney able to play Small Forward that Breakers Coaching would be looking at the Centre and Power forward positions and especially given that Rickert spends a lot of time in foul trouble and Pledgers relative inexperience playing big minutes in the NBL.

Topic #22757 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

The good thing is if Penney gets an NBA gig there will be a spare import spot and good money available.

Reply #274036 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I'd take Penney over any import bar Shaq lol.

Reply #274051 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Is Abercrombie not an option at SF as well? I thought the Breakers might consider starting Abercrombie alongside Penney and CJ next season?

You have listed 8 players there and if you add Rickert thats 9, so isn't there only room for one import in that case? Or will Webster or Pledger find themselves bumped from the game night roster?

Any ideas what big men NZ should chase? Tough to get quality big man imports, maybe go after Schenscher, Burston, Allen or Nevill instead?

Reply #274052 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Schenscher is only rated in Adelaide. He is soft and slow.
You are right about Abercrombie playing at SF, I over looked him. Webster may find himself bumped as we are deep in his position and Penney may go back to SG and Cj @ PG and Abercrombie/Vukona @ SF Rickert @ PF and and Import @ C with Pledger as backup off the bench.
In saying that we'll prob get another import guard who can sit outside with everyone else and chuck up 3's

Reply #274055 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bruton/Henare
Penney/Webster
Abercrombie/import
Vukona/Boucher
Rickert/Pledger

They could just go with something like that. Or split the SF minutes with Tom and Mika (and some Boucher) and get a PF import.

Reply #274058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rickert i think is close to having a nz passport

Reply #274061 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I think if Rickert gets his residency sorted he will be signed asap. Can't be to far away I hope.

Reply #274105 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Fantastic signing.
With Boucher, Mika will give us one of the most effective benches in the league. Toughen up the D and hit the boards. He must cost a bit though? Can we afford imports?

Reply #274108 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Would Mika go back there to come off the bench? I wondered if he might get the start over Boucher, depending on what they do with the import spots?

Reply #274110 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Yeah I'd say Mika will get the start over Boucher. Be interesting to see which way they go on the Import

Reply #274116 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

A Sean Lampley type would be a good fit I think. I like the idea of moving CJ back to PG and Abercrombie starting.

Reply #274134 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

CJ and Penney are franchise players and must command import size contracts. Mika must have high non import value.
Henare,Webster and maybe Abercrombie must be on peanuts. Boucher,Pledger midrange value.
Rickert regardless of residency will surely get more than last year.
How much could we pay an import or maybe even two?

Reply #274143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cj, kirk and rick are all worth 10 points so getting an import would be another 10-8 points, mika is 8 points,boucher would be around 7-6 and abercrombie around 7-6,they might go for mark dickel aswell to strenghten there backcourt. Thats a fair pit of points and money.They might not go for import, dont blame them as cj and kirk are just as good as most imports well kirks carving up in the d-league, and even if rick does get naturalised and sign him hes as good as most imports. Still think they need someone to start at the 4 spot as which was left by bear and forman, like demarshay johnson,erron maxey,michael harrison,Antoine Tisby.

Reply #274150 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Cj/Henare
Penney/Webster
Abercrombie/Boucher
Vukona/Import
Rickert/Pledger

I would guess it's gonna go something like that?
Breakers need to get Rickert signed asap.

Reply #274175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vukona is better coming off the bench. Webster, cmon they need more help then webster maybe throw in a lindsay tait aswell.

Reply #274204 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Lindsay Tait is not what the Breakers need. Webster has been putting up good numbers in the NZBL and as I have stated in previous threads, no point having a development program if you aren't ever gonna give them a shot to step up.

Reply #274275 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Webster has huge potential, would be silly to get rid of him now. This kid could be a star.

Reply #274294 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I agree Paul. Just read in NZ Herald that talks with Rick Rickert have stalled since the signing of Vukona.

From NZ HERALD online today

Rick Rickert's time at the Breakers could be over.

Contract talks between Rickert and the Australian NBL club have broken down, following the Breakers decision to give a local spot on the roster to Mika Vukona.

Rickert is working on becoming a New Zealand resident and had hoped to be considered a local. He says it is disappointing, but he is now looking elsewhere.

"You never want to close the door on anything, but I don't get the sense that they're looking for me to be an import next year."

Rickert says he will be looking at all his options but is positive he will be staying in the ANBL.

- NEWSTALK ZB

They can't rely on Pledger to do all the work in the paint. They have already let Trueman talk to other clubs, I will be gutted if they do the same with Rickert. He has played his guts out for the Breakers and always contributes well on the court.

Reply #274300 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Very risky. While Rickert isnt a star he is very solid and a new import big will be a gamble given how tough this league can be on big guys.

Will be a great pick up as a local or soon to be local for someone though. Townsville, Sydney, Perth, Gold Coast and Wollongong would all benefit from his presence.

Reply #274309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has alkready agreed to terms with another club - announceent is imminent!

Reply #274321 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:15 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754