clarky
Years ago

Blaze sign Rick Rickert

The Gold Coast Blaze have announced that they have secured the services of elite big man Rick Rickert for the 2010/11 NBL season.

Rickert led the NBL in rebounds last season, and with the free agent big men available this is a good signing.

Rickert was born in the United States but will become a New Zealand citizen before the season starts, allowing the Blaze to still sign two Imports for the coming year.

This is the best part of this signing IMO, as it means they can look to target big time scorers as their imports to fit within the roster they have already assembled.

Read the full article HERE

Topic #22818 | Report this topic

Beantown  
Years ago

Geez, nice signing by the Blaze. They are looking pretty good thus far, with Gibson, Goulding, Harvey, Petrie. Add good imports at SF and C/PF and they will be loaded.

Reply #274992 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Blaze are looking really good!

Reply #274993 | Report this post

shano  
Years ago

They will have to be right up there, very good signing. Dont know how points fit with taht talent but anyway, very impressive.

Reply #274996 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Gibson - 8
Goulding - 6
Harvey - 8
Petrie - 8
Rickert - 10
Hoare - 8
Garlepp - 3

51 so far.

Reply #275000 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Someone should set up NBA Live rosters with NBL players that have ratings equal to the roster points and simulate some seasons.

Reply #275001 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

The Blaze are looking good indeed.

Reply #275005 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Goulding is a 1 not a 6

so we are 46 so far :)

Reply #275009 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Looking fantastic! Maxey any chance of returning Stat?

Reply #275011 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

It's amazing to think they can add 2 imports onto that team. It's really starting to look like a Perth Vs Gold Coast, then the other 7 teams league.

Considering our team is at basically the same position (we've got 3 players to go and 25, they've got 3 to go and 24), our team looks pretty sad and sorry.
Points wise:
Rickert Vs Ballinger (I think Ballinger is marginally better)
Gibson Vs Ng (easily Gibson)
Petrie Vs Holmes (easily Petrie)
Harvey Vs Herbert (Harvey's better)
Hoare Vs Johnson (Hoare at this stage)
Garlepp Vs Hill (Hill would be better here)
Goulding Vs Dowdell (easily Goulding)
Import Vs Import (you'd hope we'd have more salary left over to get 2 better quality imports)
Import Vs Import
4 Vs 5 (If we get Bruce, then we should be in front here)

Just goes to show what we missed out on by getting nothing out of Molitor compared to what they got from Goulding. If we had Johnson last season and this season, we would have him as a 1 still, we could then have not gotten Dowdell and have 34 points for the 2 imports and 2 positions on the roster. If Ratzch is a 9, we could have had Bruce, Ratzch, import PG and Schenscher. Salary wise, possibly not, but points wise we could have.

Ballinger Vs Rickert
Import PG Vs Import
Schenscher Vs Import
Ratzch Vs Petrie
Ng Vs Gibson
Holmes Hoare
Herbert Vs Harvey
Bruce Vs 4
Hill Vs Garlepp
Johnson Vs Goulding

Reply #275018 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I'd thought (wrongly) BA's first NBL year only one year contracts and players would become free agents.
Goulding only 1 - oh my goodness..
I think Bruce was signed for 2 seasons by the ole sixers in the old NBL.
Wonder whether there's old kings contracts

Reply #275025 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Great signing Blaze, WTF were the Breakers thinking letting him go? Gutted...........

Reply #275033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great signing. Allows Petrie to get out and face basket and more than makes up for Vukona loss.
Must have had a spat with Breakers management or a victim of player cap.
Played for peanuts last year and had one of his best seasons.

Reply #275035 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Lemanis consistently avoided playing Rickert at the end of games. Made me wonder if there were lapses in team play on defense that made him run smaller line-ups instead?

Reply #275039 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Did NZ not want Rickert as a non import? Smells a bit Fishy. Great pick up from Joey - makes them very legit.

Reply #275041 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Basically, if you look at it, the Breakers have traded Rickert to the Blaze for Vukona.
Vukona will be more effective in the Breakers uniform methinks. Now the Breakers can go out and headhunt a quality center.

I don't think they would have been under the points cap with Rickert, 2 imports, Penney, Bruton, Vukona, Boucher, Henare, Abercrombie.

Reply #275042 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Macdub, had a quick look at the player points as per the NBL site and assuming the two imports are 10s, the points would be 77 for the nine players listed. Even with Rickert or one import out, they still have only 3 points left for their 10th player.

Reply #275044 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hendo, don't give up yet. They can only put five on the floor at any one time. Don't forget which two teams were in the finals last season with Perth and GC. Strong teams (e.g., Breakers last year, Bullets one season, etc) are not instant contenders.

Reply #275045 | Report this post

Player23  
Years ago

I know there used to be concessions for picking up a first year player and keeping them on your roster for a long time. How much better off would we have been if we didn't let players like Holmes, Hill and Ng go? Does this mean that Bruce will be rated lower because we signed him as a rookie and he hasn't played elsewhere since?

Reply #275049 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Those loyalty concessions are mostly gone. I think they only ones left are probably (a) re-sign before free-agency to keep last season's rating (e.g., Goulding) and (b) slight deduction for long service somewhere (e.g., Ronaldson last year). I don't believe there is a cap for those who stay with their original club and I'm not sure how long Goulding (for example) can maintain that rating of one. Might only be one re-signing?

Reply #275117 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I notice U23 is now 24 and under - Sixers have 3 players now that qualify (Hill Johnson Dowdwell) and they seem to be tweaking away at points cap rules also

Reply #275140 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I imagine Goulding would be closer to a 10 than a 1,
on ability.
I hope NBL re-word points cap regulations,
so that I can understand them.

Reply #275190 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd have Goulding at around 7 or 8 on current ability. A touch above Ng, who I'd have as 6.5-7.

I think the rules are pretty clear and generally uniform across clubs.

Reply #275194 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:47 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754