VicYES
Years ago

Adelaide may be enjoying the bottom

This applies to both NBL and WNBL, the squads are looking terrible and more so like a good SEABL team rather than anyhting else.

The 36ers have decided to sign players early and get their roster set my some silly decisions may see them end up on the bottom of the table for another season.

For the Lightning, losing Foley is a massive blow but with other teams like Canberra and Dandenong throwing around HUGE figures and Bulleen attracting players to the club due to the precence of Tom Maher it looks like it may just be a battle between these three teams and perhaps Sydney Uni.

Topic #22824 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

This has been done to death. The 6ers will be fine.....at least give them a chance to complete their roster and start working with the new coach before you relegate them to the wooden spoon.

Reply #275052 | Report this post

MJ23  
Years ago

The Bulleen Boomers will continue to improve and simply run all over any team that even tries to compete.

The Melbourne Tigers are building their roster very slowly although it seems they are considering some good talent and have plenty of $$ and points to throw around.

Reply #275053 | Report this post

Sixers2010  
Years ago

Definately too early to be making these calls. I'll admit, the sixers roster thus far doesn't exactly look spectacular but I think success in the NBL often comes down to chemistry, defense and good coaching more than talent. Look at Wollongong last year, on paper they were probably the weakest looking team talent wise but they were committed to defense and played for each other, and they ended up playing in the GF. New Zealand on the other hand probably had the best team on paper (other than Perth) last year but they failed to even make the finals, and in the second half of the year Melbourne had a very talented team but they struggled for consistant form. I think we should just wait and see what Clarke can get out of this team before we start condemning them to the wooden spoon.

Reply #275056 | Report this post

Your Mum  
Years ago

I wish everyone would stop bringing up this Wollongong shit. One year an average team makes the final and everyone thinks we can assemble a poor roster and call ourselves the second coming of the Hawks. For starters they had a proven experienced good coach, and just by getting lesser talented players does not mean you will get smaller egos.

The Hawks were successful because of a group of core veterans who have been together a while, put egos aside and had a good run of fortune. We are lacking experience in our playing squad and especially in our head coach, and with the big egos of youth I think we too are destined to finish bottom unless we sign some earth shattering imports.

Reply #275083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You guys shouldnt bother being supporters

Reply #275084 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

How many AFL supporters predicted back in December that Adelaide would be 0-4 and Fremantle 3-1 after the first four games? And in December the full squads were known, unlike the NBL where the 36ers still have 3 players to go including 2 imports.

Wait until a similar timeframe in the 2010 - 11 season and we will see if the recruiting or lack thereof decisions are correct or not. Love crystal ball gazers.

Reply #275086 | Report this post

Starks  
Years ago

We did finish bottom last year. We shouldn't expect to be world beaters the next season - especially as the team is looking very familiar. I would be happy if the team showed up every week and played for each other. The most important thing to me is that the team improves along the journey. Last season there was no improvement. We were (injuries aside) probably a worse team at the end of the season than we were at the beginning. This is unacceptable and it cost the coach his job. You cannot even begin to rate Clarke's performance and ability at this level until his second or third season. Looking forward to next season.

Reply #275087 | Report this post

Player23  
Years ago

The only way is up...baby

Reply #275088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm just sick of these retarded people that call themselves supporters writing off the 6ers right now, and I hope clarke sticks it to them where the sun don't shine! Unlike most seem to be on here, I don't expect to go straight from bottom to top in a season, these things take time; (Although I'm not denying that it would be nice to see happen) I just want to see improvement from the beginning of a season to the end of a season which is what we didn't get last season.

I welcome Clarke to the team with open arms; and am excited to see what he brings to our club!

Reply #275089 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

I too would like to think Clarke will bring far more to the table than Ninnis. Not Ninnis's fault, but he wasn't up to this league. Not as HC.

Signing's have been good without being spectacular, but team structure will be far different and structures will be something to look at have meaning.

Anything but bottom 2 will be an improvement for me.

Reply #275092 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

You've also got to understand that the players selected so far also WANT to be coached by Marty Clarke.

The Sixers did well in the early years because the majority of players liked being coached by Phil Smythe.

As long as there isn't a back-to-back wooden spoon job, then it's satisfactory. I wouldn't underestimate Clarke's ability to get more out of the players; especially he does what most of us want, and that's run plays for the underused guys, like Ng and Hill.

If Hill can score 30+ away in NZ in a game off his own back; then I'm hoping to god that he can turn that into a constant. Hopefuly Ng becomes Maher Mk II under Clarke as well.

Reply #275095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clarke's a good coach. But I hope he knows that signing on for 3 years does not mean that he has that much time to build a team. We all know the Adelaide fans will want instance success.

Reply #275098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So your pretty much saying that if the 36ers dont win the championship, the fans aren't gonna be satisfied? So its the championship or boot out the coach and everyone in the side?

Reply #275100 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Personally, I'm sick of people who criticise people who criticise the team. Getting emotionally involved because you are worried about the look of your teams' squad doesn't make you a non-supporter, nor does it make you "retarded". Sure, I think the OP is overly-pessimistic (I agree with Ushiro that it's just too early to form any judgments), and fine to disagree with them, but they shouldn't be attacked just for having a rant. Being a "supporter" doesn't mean you have to check your opinions and brain in at the turnstile!

Reply #275101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If every club has this view we're gonna go through S#@! loads of coach's and players in this world

Reply #275102 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

^ Btw, I'm mainly referring to anonymous posters.

Reply #275103 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Well I don't like it when people criticise people who are criticising people for criticising their team.

It just does my head in.

Come on people, let's wait until the team is signed, and the season has started.

Reply #275104 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Starks, why shouldn't we expect to be world beaters after a bad season? Is there somewhere in the rule book that says you have to give it time? I especially agree with Your Mum regarding Wollongong. Why use it as a comparison when there are so many differences. The main one being what the new coach will bring. I also agree that its too early to make doom and gloom predictions but the signs are already there that we should be wary.

Reply #275106 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

i think wollongong will be the second coming of wollongong

Reply #275107 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

Fairpoint for the alarm bells to start going off with the squad thus far, however if they can obtain exciting imports (pg and 3/4) and a decent backup guard (i suggest cadee will get the gig and a great team mix who knows what can happen. I think marty is definately up for challenge so far, lets wait and see how he goes. Looking at the squad right now, its going to be tough for him.

Reply #275108 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

DB - Who are you to criticise? :p

Post all you want re: predictions, but you're basing assumpions on very few variables at this point. Last year's team was much better than last, and I dare say Marty will have them performing as a better overall unit.

Reply #275111 | Report this post

Starks  
Years ago

EC, I would love the Sixers to be instantly the best team going around, but in most sports (where there is a salary cap) teams go through cycles. AFL teams have windows etc. Why should our league be any different. To go from last to first is being optimistic at best & naive at worst. I know the Dragons did it, but in the end it cost them the whole franchise. I would rather have a steady climb to the top rather than an unsustainable rocket ride that ends in death.

Reply #275125 | Report this post

sam  
Years ago

Would everyone's opinion of the 36ers roster change if their next signing was Ebi Ere....does that then make the 36ers contenders?

The current line up is as solid as most, with maybe Perth and Gold Coast having the edge, already signing an import.

Patience people....If I was to pick 3 players I would keep from last season it would've been Ballinger, Herbert and Ng.....they are all signed.

I still think it'll be a very close season again, win at home and the 50/50's on the road and you'll make the playoffs.

Reply #275127 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Your Mum, that core group of veterans? Do you mean two players (Saville and Campbell)? McKee is young, I was almost surprised Martin was even re-signed, Jackson's never really done heaps, Behrendorff was let go from NZ, Gruber was an import with the Spirit who many wanted replaced, Delaney is laughably undersized, Davidson was almost avoided post-Slingers and Tragardh got ditched by Townsville and Brisbane.

'We could be the next Wollongong' isn't the ultimate issue here, it's just one reason not to jump to conclusions. If Adelaide had signed their roster almost backwards, and three signings from the end were in this position:

Braswell/Bruce
-
Ere/Herbert
Ballinger/Holmes
Johnson

And had 17 points to spare, would there be quite as many tears? And funnily enough, that roster is still possible.

EC, what stops teams jumping from last to first? A salary cap and a points cap. A limited pool of local players. A limit on restricted players. The bulk of the best local players in the right price bracket (e.g., not in NBA or Europe) re-signing with their clubs prior to free agency. (Wortho to Europe, Goulding/Gibson/Petrie/Harvey staying with Blaze, Redhage/Wagstaff/etc with Cats, Bruton/Penney/Abercrombie/etc with Breakers and so on.)

The non-36er free agent signings off the top of my head, have been: Crawford, Knight, Vukona, Allen, Hoare, Garlepp, Rickert, Tragardh, Burston. Some good options, but given how many would expect to start, how many would Adelaide have wanted instead of say Ballinger or Johnson? (I wouldn't have rushed to sign any of them except Burston.)

Reply #275130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If we get tyler smith from o/s our offence will be stronger

Reply #275155 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Beginning to think there's a Tyler Smith robot out there that automatically finds opportunities to mention him in topics.

Reply #275159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, the Wollongong argument is a bit of a fig leaf given how often cheap & nasty teams struggle. Look at the Hawks prior to last season, the Razorbacks/Spirit or even the 36ers last season. I'm sure we'll be hearing much more about the Hawks achievements last season as the season approaches.

Reply #275172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As usual, starts off as a discussion around NBL and WNBL and turns into just NBL.

My issues are around the way players have been treated since the Lightning's end of season.

The Captain and others have been bad mouthed in the press and we should be surprised that she has signed with Dandenong. One player has the ear of a journalist and thinks anything goes. I don't think any player would want to play in Adelaide and why would they.

The Marino's should stop and look at what is happening. Why would they want to keep putting money into a team that will no longer be competitive. Why would players want to play if they see the way Coaches and players are treated every year. Ask yourselves, what is the criteria to play for the Lightning. Is it to get and keep good players? Is it to develop and nurture SA players? Is money involved? As there is no money at WNBL for 99% of players, these athletes play because they love the game. None of these players can make ends meet by just playing basketball in the WNBL. Why then would they put up with being bad mouthed and their reputations tarnished, why oh why would they stay in Adelaide. These girls train and give up just as much time and effort as the players in the NBL, yet they all have to hold down jobs, families etc., etc.,

The WNBL is a very small community and most players know each other. They are in constant contact and they talk about what is happening and can see for themselves what is happening to their friends interstate.

Look at Sydney Flames - most in the League know that Dalton will not give anyone other than named players a go or players that are prepared to find a sponsor with the $$$$ signs. Yet the culture is so bad that not even then will the stay. Brown to Canberra and Manou to Dandenong thus far for the 2011 season. The Flames reputation is that know one wants to play there unless it is for money.

Remember the Culture of a club and team starts at the top. It is very easy to gain a bad reputation but so very, very hard to shake it. So I ask again, WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO PLAY FOR THE LIGHTNING.

Reply #275186 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Great post anon. I don't follow the Lightning as closely as the 36ers, but it's a bit worrying to see good players move on. But, I did wonder if Breheny's remark about players "wanting" to play here (rather than just coming for money, I assume) had some basis in truth?

Regardless, you can't always fill a full roster with people who are there because they're dying to suit for Adelaide specifically. As long as the chemistry works, you do probably need a mix of those and mercenaries showing up for a starting spot or the salary increase.

(Good anon posts pain me - if you are worried about being identified, you can pick a random alias, not enter an email address, and no one will have any more of an idea as to who you are. I provide a randomised alias generator in the posting form for those that are stumped for a name - otherwise, pick a city name, planet, moon, animal, suburb and run with it.)

Reply #275192 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

I don't think by writing off your team means you don't support your team...

A few years back when Lakers were terrible, I wrote them off (btw I been a Lakers since I was 2) because sometimes it's good to be realistic. I was just hoping to win a few games here and there really, and some Kobe spectaculars.

PS: I'm not saying Adelaide is going to be terrible (don't really follow them very closely)

Reply #275200 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Good that the Sixers went totally wild to such a large TV audience and Carla Barrago would do Lightning a lotta good, this summer.

Reply #275208 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

for all the nostradumbass's predicting the sixers wooden spooning already i think we should make this thread a sticky and leave it at the top until the end of next season. Then we can reflect back on the performance of the team with these stupid posts to show how wrong they were

Reply #275352 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

All I ask is we win the majority of home games and get the odd win on the road. Do that, and I am one happy camper. I think the topic discussion is something that no one wants however someone or some team has to be bottom and yeah, its us.

Reply #275843 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:24 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754