Isaac
Years ago

New NBL rules for 2010/11 season

NBL press release:

NEW RULES FOR NBL IN 2010/11

The National Basketball League will introduce a number of adjustments to their rules for the 2010/11 NBL season, Basketball Australia has announced.

Four major changes are being introduced for the new NBL season, which will start in mid-October this year:

- The shape of the keyway will adopt the new standard FIBA rectangular shape;
- The distance from the three-point line to the basket will be increased from 6.25 metres to 6.75 metres;
- A "no-charge" zone marked by a semi-circle will be instituted directly under the basket , in which defensive players cannot take a charge;
- An adjustment to what used to be known as the Young Australian Player rule will see all teams required to have one Australian or New Zealand player under the age of 24 as one of their 10 contracted players (for the 2010/11 season they must have been born after 1 April 1987).

NBL General Manager Chuck Harmison said the adjustments to the keyway, the three-point line and the introduction of the no-charge zone will ensure the NBL stayed aligned with the rules of the international governing body of basketball, FIBA, which was making those changes following the 2010 FIBA World Championships.

“Basketball Australia previously made the decision following the unification of the sport in this country to bring the NBL under the standard FIBA international playing rules and this is the continuation of that initiative,” said Harmison. “There are obvious benefits to that, especially for the development of our international players, and we have been happy with the initial changes instituted last season.

“It's going to be interesting to see how teams adjust to the new rules, particularly to the longer three-point line. That, and the no charge area under the basket, were pioneered by the NBA in the US and have assisted in opening up play somewhat so we think the fans will see the benefit.”

Harmison said the increase in the age limit of the NBL’s rule which requires teams to have a young Australian or New Zealand player on their roster from 23 to 24 had been greeted enthusiastically by clubs.

“The original idea behind teams being required to have a young player amongst their 10 contracted players was to ensure that we addressed the need for offering legitimate playing opportunities for our emerging young talent,” said Harmison.

“After a review of how the rule was operating we determined that an increase in the age limit would provide an opportunity to more young players who may have gone to the US for a college experience and are looking to start their NBL careers.”

The new rules will be in place when the NBL holds its official pre-season tournament.

Topic #22847 | Report this topic

Skud  
Years ago

"A "no-charge" zone marked by a semi-circle will be instituted directly under the basket , in which defensive players cannot take a charge "

GAAAAHHH I HATE this rule in the NBA, used to goto College games to watch a real games with real defense.

Reply #275477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully BSA bring this in also, might see the end of Sturt's "split line" defence.

Reply #275478 | Report this post

Junga  
Years ago

Skud, shoudn't the no-charge zone exist anyway just now there will be a line on the floor? I didn't think a player could draw a charge under the basket before this rule, now there is just a line on the floor to make it clearer. Or am I wrong?

Reply #275479 | Report this post

Secret Sabre  
Years ago

anon #275478,

What exactly are you complaining about? That Sturt takes the time to teach split line help? What is your clubs doing? Probably playing zone and losing.

People complain about our full court defence and now our half court defence rules of pressure and help.

Well if it continues to help us win I'm gald, and I only wish some other clubs would try and do the same to make it competitive.

But that might be too hard and take too much effort so I doubt we will see other clubs trying to improve their juniors. Rather they will bring in ABA imports and spend their money on short term senior wins.

Reply #275481 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Skud, real defense died in the early 90's. The likes of Charles Barkley, Kevin McHale, David Robinson and Patrick Ewing have all said that numerous times.

Nowadays anyone of any size can post up and there's nothing players can do without being called on a hack attempt. If "Post Bangin'" hadn't died off, guys like Kobe and Dwayne Wade wouldn't set foot in the low post otherwise they'd be laid out on a defensive play every time.

Rules have changed to suit the size of the players. Do like the "no charge" circle. I've been begging for that to come to the NBL for years now.

Reply #275482 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If you watch good reffing at international level almost no charges are called under the basket. Hopefully this will bring Aussie refs into line and also get rid of the ridiculous push after releasing the shot call that seems to be native to Australia.

Now if we could only get rid of the automatic 'spin move = travel' interpretation that is also unique to this continent!

Reply #275485 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

The 'spin-move travel' interpretation was just about the dumbest thing to happen to this league.

Reply #275491 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

I think for the sake of entertaining basketball, rules related to intentional fouls towards the end of the game should be brought in.

Intentional fouls and slowing of the game is a blight.

Reply #275492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one in the NBL really use "fouls to give" tactics that much if you ask me.

Reply #275496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Secret Sabre... you mean juniors like Marcus and Darren Ng? They did spend a huge portion of their junior career at Sturt I guess... anymore I am missing? Pretty certain Sturt only started to really develop juniors into the senior program over the past 3-4 years since Liam was involved, otherwise Sturt would still be trying to run Jason Williams and Paul Bauer for the ally every play still

Reply #275497 | Report this post

Secret Sabre  
Years ago

Hardly see how the 2 are comparable. Local kids verses interstate or overseas. And that would be far less than any other club I would guess.

Reply #275499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

because the 2 are your main players for the past few years, and both are NBL quality compared to interstate and overseas players that have been out here for other clubs... maybe think before you speak?

Reply #275501 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Agree with the Spin Move, Travel call. I noticed that any non-imports were nailed with the call regularly.

Remember Homicide doing about 10-11 spin moves through the course of the last Crocs-Sixers game and only got pinged on 1 of them. Calling a travel on a move like that takes the flair out of the modern game. Might as well remove dunking.

Agree with Paul about the reffing too. If only the quality level was present in the NBL. I've never seen such inconsistant reffing.

Reply #275504 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Reffing is a genuine concern when it comes to entertainment value / enjoying a game - and it goes beyond the usual ref bashing bit.

The NBL really needs to look at its development programs / rates of pay etc - the standard is horrendous and the inconsistancy utterly frustrating.

Reply #275506 | Report this post

Secret Sabre  
Years ago

So because 2 quality senior players who cost nothing move to a club, it changes their junior development ability? When other clubs are spending money to bring import in? All recent sturt teams have had a large number of sturt juniors. Again with more sturt juniors then other clubs from what I can see.

And considering they weren't actually recruited but asked to move makes it very different. Especially when the clubs put more time into their own kids. With tournaments like Easter and Dandenong, plus their focus on getting better skills which people like you winge about.

Reply #275507 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"An adjustment to what used to be known as the Young Australian Player rule will see all teams required to have one Australian or New Zealand player under the age of 24 as one of their 10 contracted players (for the 2010/11 season they must have been born after 1 April 1987"

Look out for the likes of Pledger, Webster and Abercrombie to be looked at by a number of NBL clubs

Reply #275512 | Report this post

Your Mum  
Years ago

is the new longer 3 point line going to come into our local district and social comps?

Reply #275514 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Secret Sabre,
The best thing about Sturt posters is that you don't need much meat on the hook to reel in 200 lb bite.

I wouldn't worry too much about comments....

Reply #275520 | Report this post

Clem Scott  
Years ago

Anonymous 275497, you say since Liam appeared things got better. I would not take a thing away from what PM has done at sturt with his development of juniors. Yes other clubs are a bit jealous, of Mescke though not Liam.

Reply #275538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

clem, i was talking about guys, as for the girls, Mescke has done a lot obviously, as much as I hate to say it (and believe me I do)

Secret Sabre, asking people to move clubs isn't recruiting then? that would be a first to me... i am simply pointing out that you can't bash other clubs so much, when your best players are not even juniors of Sturt... oh and i am not winging, as i was a Sturt junior... and the politics at Sturt are ridiculous for juniors, and yes Liam did improve on juniors making it into the ABL squad more than other coaches... it's just too bad it took so many years for someone to actually coach players for the rest of their life, and not just for one year under a certain coach!

Reply #275554 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Sturt have been recruiting junior players from other clubs for over 40 years. How many people know that David and Phil Smyth first played juniors for South Adelaide before transferring to Sturt in their second year of under 14s?

Reply #275556 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

How can such a simple thread on a completely different topic turn into yet another Sturt bash?

Reply #275557 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

1. Snipe
2. Taking of bait

Reply #275558 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

There will have to be a lot of extra training for 3 point shooters to adjust to the extra half metre. I hope it doesn't affect the number of shots taken and made because the 3 point shots also add to the excitement of the game. I don't know why FIBA needed to change that because as it is, there is not an automatic ability to make the 3 point shot so why make it even more difficult and affecting the excitement of the game?

Reply #275561 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Spreads the defence a bit more and opens up the paint for drives, dunks, post moves, etc.

Reply #275562 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think youll find a lot of three point shots are taken from more than 50cm outside the line anyway. The people it will affect are the Russ Hinder's of this world. Alex Loughton struggled from the perimeter in Spain with the extended line.

Reply #275563 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

So it would make sense to have a "no defensive push" zone in the same area as the "no charge zone". That way, the defenders and the attackers would have an even playing field (hmm - almost literally) chance and we might see defensive skill and footwork beat size and weight. Unbalanced rules like this make it hard to convince casual basketball watchers to become regulars at games. Just try to convince someone who hasn't played the game that what is a foul in one place on the court is not a foul 50cm to the left if one player does it, but is a foul in both places if his opponent does. Totally nuts.

Reply #275565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

these rules will be in next summer in BSA im pretty sure

Reply #275581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will all the courts be able to handle the larger 3 point line in ABA. With my feet I would be standing outside the court in places like pt adelaide.

Reply #275601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BTW secret sabre - I would think North have as many home grown juniors in their ABA team if not all of them!!

Reply #275602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your mum, if you have played at morphett vale since the renos, then u would have already played with the new lines. I believe that the new lines will be phased in over the next few years.

i think that in places like marion pt adelaide and hillcrest the 3pt line will stay the same in the corners however have a longer arc at the top, otherwise like you said, you wouldnt be able to get yuor feet in the court in the corners.

Reply #275607 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Just responding to Peter's point about the no-charge circle giving offensive players the advantage. If the rule is the same as the NBA, the no charge rule does not apply if both players are competing directly under the basket for a put back.

This modification ensures the circle only does what it is intended to do: stop players skying for dunks getting under cut and thereby encouraging athletic plays around the basket.

I think the rule works well in the NBA and so long as our refs are able to call it properly, it should open up things up for athletic slashers, which can only be good for on court action.

I believe it would be even better if they also adopted the NBA's limited zone rule as well, which allows a player to guard an area unless they are inside the key, where they can only stand for 3 secs unless they are guarding someone. This allows for an element of zone and defensive help, without clogging the keyway too much and making it really hard to score on the drive.

Reply #275612 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:25 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754