SRT070
Years ago

Chris Fuss court case article

"MONEY taken from an Adelaide university in an alleged multimillion-dollar crime was used to bail out the 36ers basketball club and buy a star player, a court has heard.

It is alleged that $50,000 from the alleged $27 million theft by former Flinders University employee Christopher Fuss, a former member of a corporate supporters' group that rescued the financially ailing 36ers, was used to prop up the club and that a further $160,000 was used to help sucure the services of a high-profile player.

The player's name has not been revealed in court.

MORE TO COME"

Topic #22852 | Report this topic

SRT070  
Years ago

also this is from Adelaide now, its currently breaking news. im guessing this cant be good. im assuming the star player they mean could be balls or maybe gilchrist. hopefully this doesnt mean bad news for us now. its the last thing we need.

Reply #275574 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I don't think this news is anything the 36ers (and police) didn't already know, it's just news because it has been spoken about in court.

I understood that the Sixers had repaid any monies within the club that had been sourced from Fuss, and that the club would not be affected by any court proceedings.

Reply #275575 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The star-player thing is Hodge and pre-dates SOS. Was under Hemmerling's reign. Hemmerling would've had no idea at the time of the origins of those funds. The Groves fountain had dried up and Mal didn't really have the funds to replace whichever import Hodge came in for on that occasion. Fuss put up the money so it could happen.

Fuss was one member of SOS and the club would have been saved with or without him (e.g., $50k is mentioned above - split that amongst SOS and it's not a monstrous amount). As soon as the other SOS members found out about his Flinders Uni thing, they quarantined the funds he contributed and contacted and cooperated with police in every way possible.

Effectively, this is old news and just very unfortunate that the 36ers are getting tarnished by Fuss' actions and that the headline from Adelaide Now is so (no surprise though) dramatic.

I've changed the topic title here so fans don't panic and think this is some fresh issue.

Reply #275579 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

No worries about the title change. glad to hear that sixers were not dependant on the funds so essentially they are in the clear. it does suck how fuss has brought this upon the sixers though. the bloody news always exaggerate the stories.

Reply #275582 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

they have to...no one knows who fuss is..but bball ppl...

Reply #275583 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It'd be nice if they clarified in their "breaking news" that the "star player" thing happened in a previous year under previous ownership, that Fuss is no longer involved and that the 36ers are alive and well.

Not sure what's breaking about the news. The SOS link was already known and reported on, and the star-player thing was mentioned on here a few times years back.

Reply #275584 | Report this post

$talks  
Years ago

So long as the other $160k was not a Melbourne Storm style player payment.

Reply #275586 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Technically under a different NBL, so I don't think it will matter.

Found this from an old article. Lucky this never eventuated!

In Adelaide, whispers have been rampant for months 36ers owner Mal Hemmerling is ready to offload his club to a consortium which includes local businessman Chris Fuss and Venue-Tix.

Clearly the latter would pick up the Distinctive Homes Dome from its owner and Hemmerling's consortium partner Eddy Groves, while the former's interest would be the Sixers team.

Reply #275587 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

It's just "breaking" news because the court case has been in session today (I assume), and their chosen headline is good click-bait because it sounds sensational. Nothing to see here, move along...

Reply #275590 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The matter in relation to the $20M was before the court this morning according to the cause list of the Magistrates court. No-one should comment specifically on the case, nor offer an opinion as such.

COURT 18 at 9:30a.m. - Before CHIEF MAGISTRATE BOLTON; (Part heard)
POLICE
151 AMC-10-615 FUSS, Christopher Wayne (C) Dishonestly Take Property Without Owner's Consent (5)

Now, in relation to the "star player". When Julius came back to Adelaide, Mal Hemmerling did state publicly that he appreciated the efforts of Chris in negotiating his return. Any other comments are pure speculation at this time and should be avoided

Reply #275595 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

And yes, that was pre-SOS, so it is wrong to drag them into any speculation

Reply #275596 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Isaac, it appears that AdelaideNow has updated to story to confirm the $160k went to Julius, despite his name not being mentioned in Court. I wonder whether you and HoopsSA was the source of that scoop?

Reply #275598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hodge wasnt paid no 160K! dont you guys remember he left because he wasnt paid??

Reply #275604 | Report this post

Demios  
Years ago

Yeah but to get a FIBA release he had to actually pay back money because they had overpaid him. But thanks for the dis-information (ulius)

Reply #275611 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Gotta feeling that was Jules and Luke playing for the 36ers, - a quick flash on ch10.
I imagine it will be on all the TV news services tonite

Reply #275628 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

XY, they do have a basketball writer on their payroll, remember! The Fuss-Hodge thing was reasonably well known back at the time (I think I mentioned it on here a couple of times) and Boti is always aware of a lot more than makes it to his stories.

Reply #275646 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It is the first story on all tv news
'claims stolen millions bought a basketball star'

Reply #275650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder who we bought then?
I know he paid so much for Hodge, but where's the star!!!

Reply #275653 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I seem to recall our court announcer told us that Julius Hodge had been signed by the New Jersey Nets and I noticed Mark Tyndale applauded.
(That might've been at the first game of the season against Sydney Spirit)
Later - Hodge was cut and replaced Tyndale, here.

After all the publicity today, it will be interesting to read Boti tomorrow.
Is any publicity good publicity ?
Guess Who is never far away from it.

Reply #275654 | Report this post

Sixersfan  
Years ago

Hi Isaac, great reading some of your articles and scoops, just wondering are you involved with the Sixers in anyway?

Reply #275659 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

Sixersfan - he manages the 36ers website, so would get all the press releases etc.

Reply #275667 | Report this post

Sixersfan  
Years ago

Thanks Gazza

Reply #275669 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Bear Grylls drinks his own urine out of a snakeskin in the desert, but Isaac Forman, while giving the impression of a sharply dressed, quiet and unassuming IT nerd, is in fact The Man with his finger on the pulse. Bear is no match.

Reply #275670 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Beginning to wonder if you eavesdrop on office conversations here - I tuned in for that Grylls episode just as he encountered the bees and thought his face (after he was stung) was hilarious. Didn't shut up about it during lunch the next day.

Reply #275683 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Much more respectable reporting from the ABC on the proceedings. And this is why, besides Boti's columns, I stopped reading News Ltd papers and sites 6-9 months ago.

Reply #275687 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

Article on the front page of the Advertiser this morning showed better balance. It focused on the lack of security protecting the accounts and how easy it was to be breached. Then went on to outline items the money was spent on by the accused. Sixers got a mention but it was favourable and Boti followed up this story in his usual column.

Reply #275694 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

He'd posted on here re interest in buying sixers and dome, plans, discussions with McPeake and the like.

Reply #275733 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Link to Boti's column, for those without a 'Tiser handy:

A lot of Fuss - but Sixers not to blame.

Reply #275737 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I don't understand Fuss' involvement with the 36ers to hand over $160K while he didn't have any ownership of the team and yet later down the track a mere $50K bought him a share of the ownership. How would he have explained the $160K contibution without raising any suspicion?

Reply #275830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The same way he would've explained all the properties he was buying?

Reply #275831 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It was from proceeds of some sort of investment that was supposedly raking in cash and enough of it that contributing $160k to a team he supported didn't seem ridiculous.

Mal, with crowds calling for a replacement import but little money to achieve that with, would've been receptive enough to the offer.

Reply #275841 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

They were considering replacing Tyndale - then Hodge cut cut by the Nets.

From memory Hodge played here for 6 weeks - gotta Nov payment up front, gotta Dec payment- eventually- then was gone.

Reply #275845 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

From the sounds of the stuff in court, it would appear he got more than just his November and December payments....

Reply #275854 | Report this post

titan72  
Years ago

A bit suspicious how an employee on not such a grand salary can possibly explain away how he came to have funds to invest and buy the Glenelg property that by all accounts and the news his wife must actually reside in....as that was the address he applied to be home detained with his wife as guarantor...also it would be interesting to know if his wife knew anything!

Reply #275977 | Report this post

Dazza  
Years ago

Im wondering too about titans comment. The wife must know something cos it would be a bit funny how you are making 58 grand a year then buying property and a 1.7 million home...come on she knew and was in on it. Wondering whats going to happen to her....interesting to see what the outcome is and as for the 36er's how could you do that to a team that he presumably loved Mmmmmmm

Reply #276656 | Report this post

Dazza  
Years ago

BMF
Its not only basketball people that know 'THEM'.

Reply #276670 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

Kris - Old story, let it rest, nothing new here. No-one knew what was happening, and like you said, it was pretty unbelievable when the story broke.

Nothing to see here - until he goes before the courts again!

Reply #285894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gazza....who ever you are, I have the right to express my thoughts like yourself and everyone else, and at least I don't hide behind a nickname

Reply #285900 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

We live in a free speech society.

However, in matters before the court, one needs to be very careful in what they discuss in forums like this. Nothing is proven and the assumption in our legal system is people are innocent until proven guilty. By discussing details or scenarios on a forum like this it is quite possible that a mis-trial could occur if it went to trial.

In addition, we also have libel laws which apply in forums like this.

If you desperately want to slag him (or her) out, just hold those fingers away from the keyboard until the matter before the court is settled and it is proven.

Reply #285901 | Report this post

Be careful  
Years ago

Kris,
agree with Jack 100%
You must also be very careful with comments like

if you are only guessing that, a stupid thing to say.

(Mod: Removed reference to Kris post about other owners.)

Reply #285903 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

Gazza....who ever you are, I have the right to express my thoughts like yourself and everyone else, and at least I don't hide behind a nickname

Hide behind a nickname - that's one of the funniest things I've seen from an anonymous poster for quite some time.

Reply #285910 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Any posts accusing other owners of involvement without evidence will be removed.

Reply #285925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sky News reports that Chris Fuss has had 58 charges laid against him. Yes, 58.

Reply #286779 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

He's back in the news...

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/law-order/christopher-wayne-fuss-who-fleeced-27m-from-flinders-university-working-as-informal-financial-advisor-to-largs-bay-rsl/news-story/b88f2cb873756e3742229489c05093a3

Reply #740661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't access it, please copy it

Reply #740670 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Christopher Wayne Fuss, who fleeced $27m from Flinders University ...
The Advertiser-4 hours ago
A convicted fraudster who stole $27 million from Flinders University using two passwords and an EFTPOS machine...

Adelaide and EFTPOS continue to be a great combo for our personal amusement.

Reply #740673 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:49 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754