Anonymous
Years ago

Will Hodge get a NBL contract

Will the tigers resign Hodge, or could he go to Sydney???

Topic #22858 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Sydney are aiming for a more modest squad with local flavour. I don't think Hodge fits that.

Reply #275685 | Report this post

Tripod  
Years ago

Sydney are aiming to be out of the league again within 2 dull years, at the rate they are going!

Reply #275691 | Report this post

Tripod  
Years ago

Oh and I hope someone picks Hodge up, he does create a talking point and highlights galore...Ch 10 will eat him up. And still wonder how he'd go if he got a team into the playoffs!

Reply #275692 | Report this post

enonymous  
Years ago

Sixers will be hoping he does, will see at least 2 sell out games at the dome - but then again the amount of security required for the night might negate any extra profit made

Reply #275693 | Report this post

Jacob  
Years ago

Don't be hating on hodge in the first couple of years at adelaide he was putting up crazy good numbers and if I remember properly that was when the 36ers were last competative , but he is an absolute tool and appears a loser in change rooms . I don't think anyone will be gunning put to get him but he'll end up somewhere . Wollongong ? Cairns ? Also has anyone heard anything about mike helms or rashard tucker ?

Reply #275705 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

If hodge doesnt get a spot in the league it will be very disappointing despite what people think about him and the things he has done outside of actually playing basketall

He is probably one the most talented players to ever play in the NBL

As peolpe have already said he is very marketable for the new NBL to promote him as the bad guy employed for everyone to hate!

Williams is in the same boat as well he is a very talented basketball and we need people like that in this comp

I know people will disagree but thats my opinion

Reply #275707 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Neither Wollongong or Cairns could afford Hodge or really want him (not Wollongong's style). Tucker is not really in favour after his Cairns stint and I'm just not sure about Helms - hasn't changed too much since that Singapore stint and no one rushed to recruit him after that.

Not sure if Cairns have re-signed Phill Jones - surely he's good enough to go around again?

Reply #275708 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Did Hodge start this thread Isaac?

Reply #275714 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Don't think so, unless he's working an office job in Adelaide at the moment.

Reply #275717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hawks would have enough $$ to buy hodge and why not get him he can play ball better then anyone in the league.

Reply #275732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because he's a wanker?

Reply #275748 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Only raising it in this thread because some other import names mentioned here, but who are the Sixers looking at? They have gone quiet.

Reply #275755 | Report this post

MAZE  
Years ago

hodge may infact be one of the most talented players the NBL has ever seen. but during his stints in adelaide, the team did no better with him in the team. its been mentioned previously in other threads about the subject

Reply #275757 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

They did worst without him tho

Adelaide finished last in 2010 without Hodge

I dont remember Adelaide finishing last with Julius Hodge?

Did Adelaide ever get a full season out of him?
Im pretty certain he missed the start of both seasons

Reply #275760 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

fact is wherever the hero has played his teams have had no playoff success, he may have some good 1 on 1 skills but who cares, he brings zero success and he ruins team chemistry. Doubt he will be signed no one likes him and he is a money hungry clown

Reply #275766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, Hodge has never played a full season in the NBL with the 36ers or the Tigers. The Sixers signed him during the 07-08 season as a replacement for Mike Chappell. He wasn't re-signed for the 08-09 season due to his supposed NBA aspirations and his asking price going up but was then signed during that season as a replacement for Mark Tyndale. But didn't complete that season with the team due to the pay blow up.

The Tigers had orginally planned to go with an all-aussie team last season but were struggling so signed Hodge during the season which didn't exactly help them much finishing second to bottom.

Julius Hodge is still yet to play in an NBL playoff game.

Reply #275772 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

but they were last when Julius Hodge joined the team
so that is an improvement

Adelaide has had its worst finsh in the nbl ever and thats without Julius so with Julius in the side that would be a start to getting better and off the bottom of the ladder

Reply #275779 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Hodge played for a lot less than you would think last year at Melbourne, albeit from November to Feb. If he really wants to come back - and he much prefers the NBL style to the slower more disciplined Euro game - I doubt he would break a team's budget. Whether they would want his type of character is another question.

His talent would fit very well at the Gold Coast though.

Rickert, Petrie, Hodge, Harvey, Gibson
Garlepp, Davison, Hoare, Goulding, Cadee

Yikes!

Reply #275781 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

At this rate, someone will probably take out a contract on him ;-D

Reply #275785 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

High maintenance - the last thing new coaches want is a difficult import on the roster.
But I gather he can start PG or SF in NBL - could be pretty handy - if coachable.

Seems 36ers are looking for a starting PG ?.
starting SF (Ere) and Back up PG (Bruce).

Reply #275798 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

Hope the Tigers will pick him up. And then hope we play Melb at home twice.

Reply #275812 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The Banker

As peolpe have already said he is very marketable for the new NBL to promote him as the bad guy employed for everyone to hate!

I'm not sure the NBL wants to promote this type of image for the league.

Considering Hodge has not made a huge impact on either of the teams he has played for and he is not a team player, it would be pointless occupying an import spot with him. After his behaviour in Australia, both Adelaide and Melbourne, I doubt teams want to deal him.

Reply #275828 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

From memory - we looked a little better when he replaced Chappell.
The second time replacing Tyndale - he did ok, being here for only 6 weeks and looked a little better than Grizzard , who replaced him.

Reply #275840 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

EC

"I'm not sure the NBL wants to promote this type of image for the league"

Well if Julius' behaviour is not what the NBL wants to promote then why did the NBL not punish Julius for his actions
They found that he did not breach the NBL code of conduct, His actions may be juvenile but he did nothing wrong in the eyes of the NBL

There is just as much juvenile behaviour in the NBA, those guys keep getting another contract

and dont think im trying to defend Julius after his disrepect to the Legend Brett Maher,

Reply #275849 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Banker, being in breach of official NBL rules and behaving in an immature, disrespectful manner are two different things.

The fact that the NBL didn't punish Hodge doesn't mean they condoned or supported the behaviour.

Reply #275856 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

I never said they supported the actions of julius hodge but by doing nothing about it then they are saying that juvenile behaviour during games is allowed as long you dont breach the code of conduct

Reply #275869 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

The Banker

I don't understand - how can the NBL do anything else? How can you impose a fine if there is no breach of conduct, just because you don't like the way someone acted?

Reply #275875 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

I'm not saying they needed to fine him or do anything

What I am saying is people shouldn’t be saying things like he won’t get another contract in the NBL because of his behaviour when by the NBL ruling there was no breach in the code of conduct, that’s saying there no was nothing wrong in his actions.

He should get a contract because he is a very talented basketball and he wants to play in Australia

If you liken his story to the career of Kobe, with the right coach and the players around him he will do well in this league and be successful.

At 1 point in time no thought Kobe could win by himself at he Lakers because he wasn’t a team player and now he is on the edge of winning a 2nd championship.

If Julius can get a coach that can actually apply some discipline then Julius will work together better with his team mates

Reply #275963 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:45 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754