The Banker
Years ago

Best Possible Boomers Lineup

What is peoples opinion if we didnt have any injuries to any of the aussie players who would be in the best 12?

Heres what i think

C - Bogut/Anderson/Maric
PF - Jawai/Nielsen
SF - Ingles/Worthington/Barlow
SG - Newley/Delladova
PG - Mills/Cadee

Topic #22865 | Report this topic

SVD  
Years ago

1994 Andrew Gaze has to be in there

Reply #275770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut/Andersen
Nielson/Jawai
Barlow/Ingles/Wortho
Newley/Goulding
CJ Bruton/Mills/Dellavadova

Reply #275771 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I like that but I'd have Gibson and Petrie instead of Dellavedova and Goulding.

Reply #275782 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

To The Banker: the only guy in your 12 I'd really disagree with is Cadee. He might be a bright young talent, but he is only 18 and at the AIS still. Unless you think he could outplay Dellavedova for that last spot, at this stage I'd leave him to develop a bit more. Would probably take CJ as a safe pair of hands to complement Mills/ Dellavedova at the moment.

Bogut, Andersen, Maric and Nielsen have all earned spots with their play in the NBA and Europe, but Jawai I am not sure about. I am in two minds about him. He started late, so he has a steeper learning curve than most big men and he is very slow and can't jump, making him a liability defensively. But he also has unusual size and that could be a very useful offensive weapon at the Worlds against some teams.

I also still have hopes that Ogilvy will sort himself out. I think he is more likely to be a better two way player than Jawai in the long term, but he has stagnated at Vandy and needs to answer questions about toughness and rebounding as he approaches his first season as a pro later this year (either NBA or Europe).

So I think I'd probably be expecting Jawai and Ogilvy to compete for that last big man spot, along with a smokey like Ballinger, whose shooting could provide a nice game breaker in some scenarios and could go to the Worlds if neither of the two young bigs impresses enough.

Other than that, I'd probably rearrange a couple of your positions:

1)I'd use Ingles to backup Newley and Wortho and Barlow can share time at SF, with the possibility that Ingles would see time there for certain matchups.

2) I'd split time between Nielsen and Andersen at the PF spot and Bogut and Maric at C, with Jawai/ Ogilvy/ Ballinger the fifth big who would generally only play in certain scenarios. Would consider starting Andersen too, in order to spread the floor to open the middle for Bogut or Newley.

Regarding Anon's comment, Goulding is definitely one to start seriously considering. Not only has the kid got a lot of ability, he has that go get em attitude which I wish a few more Boomers had! (Dare I say it, a modern Shane Heal? Yikes!)

Reply #275784 | Report this post

Jacob  
Years ago

To original post - cadre for me is a big call and I would consider wothtington not being there either .

Other players who were close ? Ogilvy , Antoly Bose, Luke Neville , schncher , baynes , redhage , weigh , Martin , ballinger, Petrie goulding (future ) , GIBSON , Bruton , .. I'm sure we can think of more ...

Reply #275792 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

Beantown, Thanks for your very good feedback

i can tell you that CJ Bruton was the very next guy on my list, I love watching CJ but i went with Cadee because he is young and in a faew years will have a good combo at the point with Mills and Cadee

Other guys who i was considering were the likes of
Bruton, Ogilvy, Neville, Gibson, Harvey

Having Delladova in the team gives us 3rd option at the point,
Barlow and Ingles can switch between Shooting guard and Small Forward
Jawai, Anderson, Maric can all play Centre and Power forward
Matt Nielsen can also play both Foward positions

This gives us a very versatile team even if you bring in Bruton and Ogilvy for Cadee and Jawai

You would be able to play about 10 different combinations and still be just as strong on court

Reply #275850 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Banker, if you see Mills and Cadee as our future PGs, where do you see Dellavedova fitting in down the track?

What do people who have seen both players a bit think? Does Cadee have greater potential? Better athlete?

From what I saw of Delly playing for the Boomers last year, he looked like a really level-headed, smart player who was solid on D, handled the ball well and took good shots on offence. He has good size as well at 6'4, but his limitations seem to be his lack of foot speed and athleticism.

I see him as a bit of a combo guard and that versatility is part of the reason I reckon he would be a good option as the 5th guard for the Boomers later this year.

I think he'd be very useful under a number of circumstances: if CJ got hurt or was struggling defensively, if the opposition's PG is too tall for Mills and CJ, if we needed an extra ball-handler to break full court pressure, or if guys like Ingles and Newley are shooting poorly, Delly would be a good surprise factor who would burn teams that left him open.

Reply #275871 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I'm in total agreeance with Beantown. Cadee is too small, a slightly built frame and too inexperienced to be considered for the Boomers just yet.

Reply #275885 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

Beantown

Dellavedova is a very good player and a guy will be in the boomers team for many a years and in my last post i did mention the following

"Having Delladova in the team gives us 3rd option at the point,"

and as you just said as well he will give us another option at the point and a good option and the shooting guard

repeating from my last post again the current side we could have gives us a lot of flexibility with our line up. Allows to play 3 bigs if we need or 3 guards depending on the opposition and the game!

Reply #275893 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:03 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754