clarky
Years ago

Cadee signs with the Blaze

The Gold Coast Blaze have secured the services of highly sought-after teenager Jason Cadee.

The 19-year-old, who has been part of the Australian Institute Of Sports' basketball excellence program for two years, will make his anticipated NBL debut at the Blaze in season 2010/11.

Cadee says in the article:
"Being a part of Joey Wright's team is something that drew me to the Gold Coast. I’ve always wanted to play at the National Level and I am excited to develop myself as a player under him."

With one more import spot to fill, the Blaze have put together a solid team on paper.

Topic #22868 | Report this topic

The Banker  
Years ago

Gold Coast have certainly been the biggest improver in the off season

and again they have picked up a very good player for the future

Reply #275776 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Great get by blaze

Gibson and Cadee will be the best guard front in the NBL

Reply #275777 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Be interesting to see how NBL ready his is now with his light frame. Regardless, a great signing for the future, if they can hang on to him and Gibson that will be a great backcourt in 2-3 years time.

Reply #275780 | Report this post

Jacob  
Years ago

Thoughts on import now ? How many points they got ?

Reply #275787 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

More than they need.

Reply #275790 | Report this post

Jacob  
Years ago

Which is ? Haha

Reply #275793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We all saw what Gibson produced down the strech when the heat was on in game two of playoffs last season. To say they will have the best combo in the league is a bit of a stretch

Reply #275797 | Report this post

Wam Soosnam  
Years ago

I saw both Cadee and Daly at the 20's in Adelaide.

I think that Daly is underrated and is all the goods as is cadee.

Cant separate them, Daly could be better IMHO.

Reply #275802 | Report this post

Yep!!!!  
Years ago

cadee should have gone to college

Reply #275803 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Is Daly good enough to back up an import PG?

Reply #275806 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

so WHY should Cadee have gone to College hey YEP? I can think of 5 reasons why not, would like to see the Why's first....

Reply #275810 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

exposure to the US market probably number one
a chance to learn more about the game and play against a larger range of talent
begin an education for life after basketball
opportunity to travel
get some "girls gone wild"

Reply #275813 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

oh another one that would be high on my list would be the free education should he be able to get a schloarship

Reply #275814 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

oh another one that would be high on my list would be the free education should he be able to get a schloarship

Reply #275815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ever thought one of the reasons he DIDN'T want to go was because he didn't want to study?

Do people understand that its a vital part of going there to play? It's not just ESPN exposure, fawning crowds, cheerleaders and campus adulation. You actually have to go to class and do well otherwise you're on the next flight back.

And for some kids, once they're done high school here they don't want to go to University. So we need our system to cater for them to.

Good luck to Jason.

Reply #275818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Caddee and daly were by far the best at the nationals, sixers should grab daly and hold onto him could be the next Brett maher

Reply #275822 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

pwned - the education argument does not stack up, the Colleges press you into an easy credit course which counts for virtually nothing when you get back here. If you want to study something seriously, then the college is probably less likely to recruit you... heaven help any aussie kid that is serious about medicine, engineering, accountancy or law going to a US college.... more likely to end up with a nameless degree in "communications".

Reply #275824 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

you dont need to finish a degree over there. but US courses credit points count towards degrees over here. i dont think you should completely dismiss the education element, its not like any australian would be playing for a harvard or a yale.

atleast a degree in communications would be something over nothing for life after basketball. if you have a communications degree your half way to becoming a teacher, just units in arts or science and a dip ed.

anyway, enough of that, wat are your why not reasons?

Reply #275825 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

He didnt have the grades to go to college, he wasnt eligble from what I heard.

Reply #275826 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

And they can't force you to do easy courses in college, if your being recruited by multiple colleges you can pretty much tell them what you want and they'll bend over backwards to get you to there school. If you want to do medicine do you think the school is going to tell you no if it means you ink the letter of intent?

Its just guys whose main concern is having a professional career who generally do the easy courses, guys who dont plan to ever finish there degree's, oh and the dummies of course, the guys who can barely pass the exams.

Reply #275827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ho, there is already an Aussie getting a 'real' degree at college due to his basketball. Ben Dowdell is studying Engineering at Santa Clara.

Reply #275829 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

anon, thats great to hear. Do you know what the quals gap is when he gets home? Any idea how much extra university he'll have to do here after his four years there (if he does four)?

Reply #275833 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Anyone know what Cadee would be getting paid?

Reply #275838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ho, you still haven't given us any of your reasons why not? just arguing ONE of the previous points

Reply #275846 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Walks straight into a paid position on a decent team and can start his professional career immediately. Can stay much closer to friends and family. College is a good once-only opportunity with lots of advantages, but a number of players have carved out reasonable careers without taking that road (Maher, Newley, Ingles, Holmes, Forman - just to name some from SA).

Reply #275847 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

HO - not all degrees aren't recognised here. For example, the free trade agreement with the US also included the free movement of human resources, and a key part of that was the recognition of qualifications.

Engineering, for example, is a fairly universal qualification as is economics, architecture etc. Law is less so, but there are bridging qualifications that have been made easier (or will be in the near future) to obtain since the free trade agreement was reached.

I'd say a free education far outweighs any minor bridging qualifications you would have to obtain.

That said, university education isn't for everyone and nor should it be. It still has to fit in with what an individual wants. From a purely basketball point of view, if he could get into a quality program you would have to think that would be the best option?

Reply #275848 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

All i am going to say with Jason Cadee playing for the gold Coast i am loving the team they have signed

definetly the favourite team after the Sixers!

Reply #275851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think an emerging option will be to sign to an NBL program and go to University here on a University Scholarship.

The basketball development wouldnt be as good from one point of view but if only D2 schools or not very good D1 schools were looking at you then staying in Australia, getting paid, playing against MEN, and still getting a free education isnt a bad option either. Many Australians get p*ssed off with the w*nk factor of Americanism which encourages laziness and hype before hardwork and results.

Reply #275868 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If he wants to, Jason could pay for a number of degrees with the money he will make in the 4 years he would have been playing for nothing!

Plus, as Anstey, Newley, Nielsen, Andersen, Ingles and Jawai (1 year of college) have shown, international success is just as possible if not more likely from the NBL than college.

And as Maher, Heal, Mackinnon, Bradtke (I think?), Gibson and Goulding show, you can make a very good NBL career without going to college.

Cadee now gets to play at a higher standard and get used to professional basketball quicker, as well as staying close to home and learning from players and coaches with vast experience around the world, nit just experience in the college system.

Reply #275872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HO im not sure what that gap is or if he will have to do any extra study when he gets home, but he will be starting his Senior year in the upcoming season so it looks like he is getting through it so far.

Reply #275878 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:57 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754