Liam Flynn
Years ago

Former N Melb Import Chris Jent an NBA Head Coach

Check out the front page of NBA.com for the news of Chris Jent, former shooting guard for the North Melbourne Giants, becoming the Head Coach of the Orlando Magic.

Topic #2287 | Report this topic

billo  
Years ago

That's good news indeed, I always liked Jent for some reason. I read Hakeem's autobiography about 5 years ago and he actually spoke about Jent in it, when they played together in Houston. It went something along the lines of "there was one guy at training who always put in a good showing and was a quiality player who I thought deserved more court time. His name was Chris Jent".

He's obviously pretty well respected in NBA circles, so Chris, if you check this forum, good luck to you!!

Reply #25872 | Report this post

Liam Flynn  
Years ago

FYI

Speaking of ex NBL imports as coaches, Andre Le Fleur is an assistant at UCONN.

Reply #25891 | Report this post

Pioneer  
Years ago

Direct from CBS Sportsline

Jent, who spent two seasons in the NBA and was a member of the 1994 champion Houston Rockets, became a Magic assistant this season. Though he has no head coaching experience at the pro level, Jent was promoted over assistant Paul Westhead, who coached the Los Angeles Lakers to the 1980 title and later coached the Denver Nuggets.

"Certainly we looked at all our options," Weisbrod said. "I thought that Chris was a stronger departure, stylistically, from what Johnny was. I think Paul would have been closer to the same."

Weisbrod said any search for a permanent replacement will wait until the end of the season, but added that the 35-year-old Jent is the "crown jewel of our staff."

"I think the timeline is obviously accelerated and the circumstances are extremely difficult -- and that part will be a hardship -- but I think he's an extremely bright guy and he knows the players," Weisbrod added

Reply #25926 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:01 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754