bretts the man
Years ago

Sixers signings: What's the hold up?

With a lot of clubs getting there line ups close to completed and some stronger than previous just wondering where Sixers are at in completing their roster. Guess no real hurry in imports if you are recruiting straight out of USA but thought with budget restraints might of at least got 1 here for HSH comp. or ex NBL and need to grab before some-one lse does. Is he still trying to get Bruce to return

Topic #22870 | Report this topic

Tornado  
Years ago

As far as I know they are still in negotiations with Bruce. Other than that they only have 2 import spots left to fill which I believe they are currently scouting a number of players but arent in any rush to put pen to paper with any just yet as they want to make sure they get the right imports.

The sixers squad is in a pretty advanced or comparable position to most.....Sydney for example havent officially signed anyone yet.

Reply #275858 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Same ol' Same 'ol...........every year. More interested in getting ticket sales out with incorrect or missing information. The fact that 2 of the 3 vacant positions happen to be imports for key positions doesn't appear to have ever phased any Sixers administration!!

Reply #275859 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I hope for your sake that you're joking Spinner!

Getting ticket info out early gives people time to plan, budget, etc.

Getting the imports last is also pretty sensible since there's a broader range to pick from and also due to the timings involved. Only imports signed around the league so far are Lisch, Gruber (naturalising), Davison (HSH budget guy) and have I forgotten any others?

Reply #275860 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

What is the rush? Season doesn't start until mid-October this year.

It would be nice to have all of the signings complete by mid-August so that you can get the squad together nice and early, but we are only in April here.

With 7 of 10 players already signed, with only a backup PG and imports to come, that is pretty proactive recruiting (I reserve judgment on the quality of the recruiting until the team has played some games together).

Imports are the most disposible players on the team, with the largest pool of players available to choose from. Most imports won't be looking to put pen to paper for a season starting in Australia in mid-October yet. Unless a superstar falls in your lap right now, at the right price, or you really want to sign up a recycled import currently in Australia playing for another NBL club, the sensible thing to hold off.

Reply #275862 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Is it mid or early October?

Reply #275864 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Sorry Isaac......having a bad day at work and felt like an arguement - What better way to start one!!

Reply #275867 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

If still talking to Bruce thats good and can we sign him plus 2 imports with points avail.
My other point is am I guessing that anybody that has played in Aust. as import is not on Sixers radar as assume some of those that are required might be signed over next month or so.
Whats their alternative if Bruce doesnt sign as want to look at it as surely Kings have to start signing players soon.
Is there any chance of Sixers bringing any Aust. players back from OS.

Reply #275870 | Report this post

Big_Marty  
Years ago

Sixers have always had a good habit of searching for new imports. Apart from the C.Groves issue last season and Balls coming in from the Hawks, the club has been pretty good with bringing in fresh imports.

Glad Bruce is still a priority. The man has game; can always work in the off-season and play NBL. It can be done.

Still wish Gilly was an option. Stupid playing injuries.

Reply #275873 | Report this post

A Real Fan  
Years ago

Lets be honest, we have already seen most of this team play, and we have seen them give the best of them a run for their money, remember "that" Perth game?
I think we are seeing the start of a new culture, I think we have our first "real" coach in years.
Adelaide have "bought" some pretty good teams in the past, I shudder to think what we paid for some of those teams, just look at the $ being thrown around for Hodge from the Fuss reports.
We now have a management group who will ensure the financial security of the Club, and we have a "real" coach.
The building blocks are sound, the future looks good.
Yeah, Marty may take a little time to gel to the NBL, but he will. I am positive that the work ethic, culture, dedication and team effort will be light years above anything we have seen for a long time.
I can't wait, maybe not a premiership this season, but we as fans have a lot to look forward to.

Reply #275874 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

I like your positive post "real fan" but upon what real basis do you have this forecast of having a lot to look forward to?

Reply #275877 | Report this post

A Real Fan  
Years ago

Spinner,
I can only suggest from your reply that you think our last two head coaches were good, if thats the case I cannot justify anything to you.
Adelaide has had a reputation amongst the players for years that this is a great place to play, you get paid good money and dont have to do a lot.
I think we have only enjoyed success when we have bought the team and gone way over the salary cap.
SOS have come in and held player payments to the cap.
This has exposed the shallow depth of the basketball program. Marty will turn that around.
Thats my basis!
Yes, It is possible I am a ex player!

Reply #275879 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Spinner, when they were 'on' last season, the team were pretty good. There were good signs, but for the most part it was all over the place and not consistent enough to get off the bottom of the ladder in a competitive season. Changing the key things that caused that makes me think we're in for an interesting season. Like Real Fan, I'm reasonably optimistic about it.

Reply #275881 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

I agree with what you say about previous coaches perhaps not being development focused. I do wonder though, that a club playing the highest level of the sport in their country, where they have only 10 key players, should be focused on development programs? This isn't junior district looking to develop players for Div 1, Classics and Nationals!!!

People are paying good money to see a team perform on the floor, not applaud their long term development plans!! Here again, we are being asked to part with our money before we know who the key players are. We will get our tickets, because we want to continue supporting the club, just making a point!

Reply #275884 | Report this post

A Real Fan  
Years ago

Spinner,
Nothing to do with development focus, although this is important, it should not be the basis of the team.

If I can make a suggestion, if you ever went down to watch a training last season, go down and have a look when pre season starts.

You will find out what I am talking about.

Then you will be as excited as me.

It is simple, if we had Marty last season, we would have been in the finals. Absolutely no question about that!

As Isaac pointed out, change one key factor, you change the whole dynamics.

I am not saying we will win the GF, I am saying that as a fan you will now watch a team that will fight its ass off, be structured and play as a team. Put that into last years team, your in finals.

I am just trying to point out to everyone that thinks last years team should be changed, the most important change has already been done.

Reply #275886 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

-'If I can make a suggestion, if you ever went down to watch a training last season, go down and have a look when pre season starts.'

A Real Fun, what the hell are you on about? and it sounds like alot of sour grapes from you.

Reply #275888 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Sounds like your faith is justified!! I really hope you are right. From what you are saying the imports will enhance the team - not make it!! Thanks, I feel a little better!!!

Reply #275889 | Report this post

A Real Fan  
Years ago

Spinner,
Now you get it!!

A.....sorry Phil

Reply #275891 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not so much developing young players (that's only part of it), but developing the team dynamic. Getting them to buy-in to the strategy and run the plays perfectly. Last season it seemed that there was no real control for much of the time out there with Ninnis and the two imports.

If you don't want to buy your season tickets before the full team has been announced, then obviously you don't have to. The club offer the early bird incentive but your seats remain reserved for a while yet.

The way I look at it though is that there are two starting spots left and they can be two imports. If they're new faces, you won't really know a whole heap more down the track than you do now. A guy could come in from a solid career in Europe and be a dud, or could be an absolute college unknown and be a surprise packet.

Look at Storey and McKee last year and think about which one had the greater expectations from his career to date. Storey had played for three NBA teams. McKee was an unknown.

I don't like him much, but if we ended up with Tucker at SF, I'd still go and watch. Know what I mean?

Reply #275892 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Can't argue with any of that logic - guess I was
wrwrwrrrrrrong!!!!

Reply #275895 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Spinner....try supporting the team as a whole, not individual players or imports. If you want the team to be successful get your season tickets and support the owners, the fans, the players....the TEAM!

Isaac, I hope we dont end up with Tucker! Never the less, I will still go and watch but he is past his best and would feel like we are revisiting the Groves situation all over again....

Reply #275898 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeah, just trying to give a bit of a worst-case - could bring back an older, less-than-loveable guy who's dropped out of a few clubs, and most season ticket holders would still go along to support the overall team.

Could have Hodge and Tucker as the imports and I'd still go along, interested to see what might happen!

Reply #275901 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

Lets get both of em!

Reply #275907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a long time seasom ticket holder, I like to see stability in a team and a large proportion of home grown talent. As long as you have 2 good imports, most teams can do well. Anyone can buy a premiership by changing teams around every year and getting players from all over the country, but if you want to keep loyal fans watching and keeping their season tickets you need to keep local talent you can relate to. I am not interested in having a team of players from around the league I know nothing about.

Reply #275911 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The season starts mid October. It's part of the C10/One telecast agreement.

Reply #275917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it's got more to do with the World Championships.

Reply #275947 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Reply #275959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even better, I suggest Brad Davidson.

Reply #275982 | Report this post

Roger Murdock  
Years ago

Would be extemely happy with Brad Davidson. I know he's getting on but is an impact player who can hit the big shot plays smart. Only question is can he stay fit for a season. Younger player would be better but only if good enough. I think you need a quality back up PG.

Reply #275985 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

At least we know that they had a good go at getting Bruce back as a back up PG and that he wants to start and would want good dollars - due to his circumstances

Davo was in good form in HSH - could be handy to have
Seems he would've been handy last season, backing up Gilchrist-Groves.

Reply #275987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Davo was heard to have said at High Stakes that he doesn't think his body could take a whole season of NBL.

Reply #275994 | Report this post

Sixers2010  
Years ago

I think Clarke is doing the right thing by not rushing out and signing both our imports just to complete the roster. When you look at our team on paper it is solid, without a huge amount of raw talent, so our two import spots will be crucial to our success this season. A Team like the Gold Coast do not have to worry about recruting two scoring imports because they have scoring threats in Rickert, Gibson, Harvey and Goulding already, so their imports can be role players. We unfortunately don't have that luxury. I think Clarke will continue to take his time until he finds an import he believes can confidently run a team from the point and another who can score consistantly.

Reply #276007 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:45 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754