Isaac
Years ago

Tyreke Evans wins NBA Rookie of the Year

Evans capped his fabulous rookie year for the Sacramento Kings by beating out Golden State's Stephen Curry and Milwaukee's Brandon Jennings for the coveted award.

Evans became the fourth rookie ever to average at least 20 points, five rebounds and five assists per game, joining Oscar Robertson, Michael Jordan and LeBron James in an exclusive club.

"This is one of the awards I had a goal of since I came into the NBA, being rookie of the year," Evans said. "I'm proud it came true. It was one of my dreams since I was little. I finally had a chance for my dream to come true."
Evans was the only rookie to appear on all 123 ballots from a media panel, getting 67 first-place votes and 491 total points. Curry was second with 43 first-place votes and 391 points, with Jennings getting 12 first-place votes and 204 points. Players were awarded five points for a first-place vote, three for a second and one for a third.
Full article on ESPN

Tough field for Jennings to come up against.

Topic #22873 | Report this topic

Junga  
Years ago

Tough field for Evans and Curry too. Why is it only tough for Jennings?

Reply #275899 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Thoroughly deserved...

Reply #275905 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

How did Jennings only come 3rd in voting?

Reply #275912 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just a tough year. Those numbers from Evans are pretty impressive, you have to admit.

Reply #275919 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

John Hollinger has an Insider article on this. He discusses how it is often easier to put up big numbers on a lesser team than the position Jennings is in.

Hollinger also discusses that although Curry and Evans were statistically better Jennings has learnt to "win".

Reply #275920 | Report this post

Junga  
Years ago

Some Jennings fans on this board or something?

Reply #275960 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

The only reason Jennings lost IMO is his woeful FG%. Tyreke deserved it, no doubt in my mind at all.

Reply #275962 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Running the point for a contender in your first year should get it. Jennings all the way.

Reply #275967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One thing needs to be re-read by anyone unsure whether Evans should've won ROY.

'He is only the 4th rookie in NBA history to average over 20 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists.'

Chuck in a couple steals a game and a couple game winnng shots I know who is the clear winner

Reply #275971 | Report this post

Bullsfan  
Years ago

Milwaukee is not a contender this year.

Reply #276015 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:42 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754