Isaac
Years ago

Could Goorjian coach NBA?

There's an article on the NBL site with quotes from Sydney Kings import Mark Sanford suggesting that Brian Goorjian was an NBA-calibre coach.

You could question Sanford's position to be making such statements, but could Goorjian do it?

I say yes, and further to that, I think it would be good for Australian basketball -- more profile internationally, PLUS we wouldn't have to put up with him in the NBL!

What's your take?

Topic #2288 | Report this topic

jezzalenko  
Years ago

1. How many coaches in the NBA were never at least drafted?

2. How many foriegn coaches have coached in the NBA

Stranger things have happened but you would think its unlikely.

Reply #25880 | Report this post

Im taking donations for his cab ride to the airport .. any takers?

Bon Voyage ... dont come back ...

On a serious note .. i think there would be 10 or so College coaches that would be in front of him to coach in NBA.

Coach K
Loud mouth Bobby ..
...the guy from Maryland etc etc..

Success in the NBL would not .. while basketball is a global game , translate into a succesful NBA stint. The systems are too different, and besides what player would respect him for coaching 'down' here? And his sh*t record as national coach!! Maybe Bogut could write him a note ... or Shane Heal could ring his 'mate' Sir Barkley and ask him to talk up the Goorj on P.T.I tv?

Reply #25888 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

He could start as an assisstant, Brett Brown style. Would be good for Aussie ball.

Reply #25896 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

It is very unlikely he would be able to go straight from coaching the Kings to coaching in the NBA. I see no reason why if he didn't take a college gig, or better yet an assistant position in the NBA, that he couldn't be an NBA head coach within 5-6 years.

As much as I don't like the man, he is an excellent coach. He still has a lot of years of coaching left in him, his style is well suited to the NBA game since he is defensive minded and is a micro-coach, as opposed to a macro-coach like Smyth. I think he is good enough and I hope the door doesn't hit him on the way out of the NBL.

The only thing that could be a problem would be his reputation wouldn't mean a damn thing to his players in the USA. Over here, his reputation is such that the players listen to him and a large number of the better Australian players seem to want to play for him. I'm sure his reputation would get him a job in the USA, but what he did in Australia for 20 years wouldn't mean jack to your average NCAA player of NBA player.

Reply #25908 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Yeah well said it took the nba a while to get used to 'import' euro players, i don't think they are ready for an overseas coach who hasn't played in their country yet

Reply #25910 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

If Chris Jent can coach NBA, I can't see why not.

Reply #25912 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

This is how an NBA coach profile is to read !

From NBA.com:
Magic Dismiss Davis; Name Jent Interim Head Coach

March 17, 2005 - Orlando Magic General Manager John Weisbrod announced today that Johnny Davis has been dismissed from his position as head coach. Magic assistant coach Chris Jent has been named interim head coach. In addition, the Magic have released assistant coach Ron Ekker.

Chris Jent, who was named assistant coach on August 12, 2004, becomes the seventh coach in franchise history. He spent the 2003-04 season with Philadelphia as assistant coach/player development.

Jent had 10 seasons of experience as a professional basketball player, including two seasons in the NBA. A member of the 1993-94 NBA Champion Houston Rockets, Jent also played for the New York Knicks during the 1996-97 campaign, as well as internationally in Australia, Italy, Spain and Greece.

"In a relatively short period of time as part of our organization, Chris has earned a great deal of respect," said Weisbrod. "He brings a great work ethic, excellent X's and O's knowledge, and has been a part of winning teams as a player."

A native of Sparta, N.J., Jent also played five seasons in the CBA. Prior to turning professional, he played four years at Ohio State University from 1988-92. Jent appeared in 123 games with the Buckeyes during his collegiate career, scoring 1,007 points. He connected on 38.2 percent of his three-point field goal attempts. Jent helped Ohio State to three consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances and back-to-back Big Ten championships.

What would Goorj bring to a team in the NBA ? .. "coached in Australia"... whoopee doo they would say !!

Jent may be the goods .. will he stay on as head coach? Any thoughts ...? i say "yes" .. the brass are talking about him being well respected within the club.

Not to be a hater .. but he's looking pretty old in the photo.. more stress to come!

http://www.nba.com/magic/news/Magic_Dismiss_Davis_Name_Jent-135646-800.html

Reply #25931 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

If Chris Jent has got a gig as a head coach I dont see why Goorj couldnt do the same. A couple of years as an assistant somewhere and he could do the job. Jent has only got just over 3 years experience so I feel its more about being right place at the right time to get an opportunity.
Skyhook you say that they would say Whoopee do at Goorj's credentials but in reality Jent hasnt done a great deal either - 10 years in professional Basketball with 2 seaosons in the NBA as a bench warmer - Hell Shane Heals done more than that!

Reply #25988 | Report this post

skyhook  
Years ago

Re Jent..He's still in the NBA system though isn't he ? Even as a bench warmer .. he knows the system from the inside as opposed to just being an American who coached basketeball somewhere (else)! Statman maybe you should start a Goorjie petition .. ill sign it if you promise he'll go .

Reply #26001 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I think you will find that Jent only played in the NBA for 2 seasons and has been an assistant for another 2 so his NBA experience isnt all that impressive. Im not saying he doesnt deserve his shot and good on him for getting it, rather I was just saying that IMO Goorj would be quite suited to a role in an NBA team. If he did his dues as an assistant like Brett Brown maybe he could have a chance. And as for any petitions to get rid of him...I think we'd all be in favour of that one!

Reply #26011 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Why do you want to get rid of him? hes good for aussie basketball...should we get rid of kerle,cj bruton and anybody else you don't like???

Its called having a bit of colour in this L.

The only negative thing you can say about brian is that his teams play ugly ball at times and his history of bankrupting clubs. nothing against the man himself

Reply #26117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee Kriss it seems you may have answered your own question there!

Reply #26121 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

I would still like BG in the L, its not his fault that attendances are down, thats what i meant

Reply #26151 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:30 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754