Quagmire
Years ago

Jazz Lakers preview

They have had similar playoff squads play twice before with LA winning both times.

So why would this be aby different?

I don't think this LA team is a real 'Phil Jackson' team.

Phil likes having a star (preferably the best player in the league) and surrounding them with long tall post defenders and shooting wing players.

Now LA still has Bynum (a little), Gasol and Lamar, but who are the shooters providing space for Kobe?

Artest and Fish are really cold right now. This may allow Utah to press Kobe much more than in the past two series.

Also a thing that has changed, Fish is older and will no longer be able to contain D-Will, a job he has done well in the past.

Utah lost Brewer mid season, but this means they have CJ and Wes on the wings, both capable of hitting deep shots. This means Kobe will not be able to roam in D, providing help to cut off D-Will's passing lanes to Boozer and Milsap. In the past Kobe roamed free as Brewer had no jumper.

On the subject of Kobe, Wes and CJ did a good job of making Carmelo work hard (after gm 1)and i think Kobe will find the going tough. The prob for Utah is that Kobe is a different kind of monster to Carmelo. They are both explosive scorers, but Melo is not the creator for teamates that Kobe is.

It will be interesting to see how Artest's role plays out in this series. He usually has a marquee player to tag through a series, but the jazz only have Wes, CJ and Korver. Will this lack of focus cause him to lose it altogether? Look for Phil to get Artest involved in the offence as he can surely bully the smaller Jazz wings down low.

All this adds up to what should be a great series.

Of course, Utah has no real answer for Gasol inside, coupled with home court, i think LA must still be favourites.

Topic #22887 | Report this topic

tsp  
Years ago

i beleive Kirilenko is due to return

Reply #276052 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

I don't know if he should play at all...

The injury would slow an already slow player, and he is not able o take minutes from Boozer or Milsap at the 4 so where does he fit?

Bench i guess. He can be a useful 'point forward' for the second unit.

Perhaps he is the answer to LA posting Artest?

Reply #276053 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

With the Jazz an amazing home team, they can definently win this series..Just win 3 games at home, and beat LA once in LA. I suppose its easier said than done.

I have tried to think of the matchups..Kobe will guard D-Will wouldn't he? I mean Fisher can't guard any Point Guard me thinks..Doesnt have the ability to contain.
That is one of the Lakers big weaknesses..Westbrook got what he wanted against LA when Fisher was guarding him, and players like Mo Williams or Rondo, and Nash will too

Reply #276055 | Report this post

kb24  
Years ago

the lakers have home court advantage and i guarantee they wont lose the first 2 to utah at home...so the first 4 games theyll send fisher at deron williams.
theyll send kobe after dwill only if the lakers are 2-2 after the first 4 games...as it is shannon brown and farmar can also handle dwilll to some extent...and really even with artest and odom quiet lately...the jazz have really got no key mismatches except for dwill...even if boozer plays better than gasol...the jazz havent got the lakers long bench...

Reply #276057 | Report this post

Junga  
Years ago

Look for Odom to lift his game, he always plays well against the Jazz.

Bynum is injured again.

Reply #276063 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

I picked the Nuggets to go all the way in the West. Burn.

Reply #276142 | Report this post

Wdog  
Years ago

Lakers in 5

Reply #276268 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:52 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754