MACDUB
Years ago

LeBron goes back to back MVP

"AKRON (AP) -- LeBron James won his second straight NBA MVP award Sunday, dominating the voting just as he dominated on court all season.

The Cleveland Cavaliers star received 116 of a possible 123 first-place votes to win in a landslide over Oklahoma City forward Kevin Durant. Durant was picked first on four ballots and Orlando center Dwight Howard, who finished fourth, received the other three first-place votes.

Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant had no first-place votes and finished third.

Voting was done by a nationwide panel of sports writers and broadcasters, and this year one ballot was cast by fans in an online vote. Players were awarded 10 points for first, seven points for second, five for third, three for fourth and one for fifth.

James finished with 1,205 points, nearly doubling Durant (609). His margin of victory is the second largest in history, topped by only teammate Shaquille O'Neal, who by 799 points in 2000.

James is the 10th player to win the award in consecutive seasons, joining Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Moses Malone, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, Tim Duncan and Steve Nash. Russell, Chamberlain and Bird won it three times in a row.

"I never imagined I would be on a list with names like that," James said. "Those are players I always looked up to when I was a kid."

For the second straight year, James accepted the Maurice Podoloff Trophy in his hometown of Akron."

James won pretty decisively, 2nd largest win in history.
I actually thought Durant had a really good chance, considering his play has been influential in the Thunder having such a great season (They had a 28 win improvement or something like that). Didn't shoot a high enough clip and obviously wasn't as influential on the rebounding and assist front.
LBJ was definently deserving of the award..Does this award create even more pressure for Lebron to get the title this year?

Topic #22890 | Report this topic

Junga  
Years ago

Pretty obvious that he would win it. I'm not suprised he won in a landslide but I am a bit suprised that Durant finished with more votes than Kobe.

Its kind of hard to see the award going to anyone else the next 1-2 seaons. LeBron could have a few of these by the time he's done.

Reply #276086 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

If LeBron wins a 3rd straight MVP next year - is it a better accomplishment than Bird winning his 3 in a row? I say no, when Bird won his 3 he was playing in a tough time with so many HOFers.

I wonder if he will be a bit like Jordan in that even though he deserves the MVP they give it to the other person that is "due" - Charles Barkley in 93 and Karl Malone in 97 when MJ was clearly the deserving winner.

Reply #276087 | Report this post

Junga  
Years ago

Bizzy, totally agree that Barkley got the MVP in 1992-93 because was "due." Which I guess is fine, because Barkley was a great player and was damn good in 1993.

The same could happen to LeBron next season, but I just think of anyone who is "due" for the MVP. Can you or anyone else? All the players I can think of who should have won the award already have.

Reply #276096 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Durant and Howard were a bit unlucky this season and worthy of a mention.

Reply #276097 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Who were the two that only had him at third???
Even the 5 who had him second need to take a look at themselves.

Reply #276102 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Pfft, I would have put Melo and Wade above Kobe this year.

Melo had a breakout year and Wade does what Lebron does; he just plays on a crap team.

Shame too that Steve Nash didn't rate higher either.

Reply #276105 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

LeBron was the standout pick for MVP and this was never in doubt IMO. Durant a worthy runner up.

Reply #276111 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Interseting to note that one media clown considered former Sydney King Stephen Jackson the 5th best player in the league this season.

Reply #276112 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Well done Lebron, now unless you can lead Cleveland to a title this year, that MVP is going to mean....f*** all.

Reply #276114 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

I can't see anybody else winning MVP for the next however many years LeBron plays for

Reply #276119 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

What about Kevin Durant, Jules? Especially if the Thunder become a perennial playoff team, and LeBrons' teams don't win any titles? NBA scoring champion in his third season isn't a bad trajectory.

Reply #276127 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

I was going to start a new thread about this, but it deserves to be buried in this one.

There's no way an NBA MVP (past or present) should be doing stuff like this: Linky to Kobe rocking some atrocious white clothes after arriving for photo shoot in a helicopter.

My initial questions: who's ever heard of a hooded scarf? Who wears one? Why do they cost US$695?

Reply #276128 | Report this post

Junga  
Years ago

I think it deserves to be buried deeper in this thread, but what is done is done.

Reply #276129 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Watch out for Derrick Rose within 4 years. If he had a shooter on the team he would be 20 and 10 already.

Reply #276132 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Nup...not even Durant, I just can't see it. Well, if anyone, Durant, but only if the Thunder top the West and he averages 34-40ppg (by the way I don't think he's that far off the latter)...Lebron will be a 30+ 7+ 7+ for the next 6 years, and I don't see him not being in the best team in whatever conference (plus you mentioned the possiblity of not winning a ring...well, its a regular season award given before the 2nd round even starts). He is just one of a kind, no one comes close to being that dominant, and in the way that only he is dominant...totally unreliant on jump shots.

Besides, even in a year where Durant made close to the best possible case for MVP, leading scorer, shooting high percentages, taking a team who no one expected to be any kind of good this early to a 50 win season, he only got 4 first place votes to LBJ's 116...and in TOTAL votes doubled him (1205 to 609).

Reply #276137 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It is given before the second round, but a few MVP years without a corresponding championship would start to stick in voters' minds IMO.

Bo, he looks ridiculous. Must be the make-up? looks like a different person - I would've guessed it was a lookalike at best.

Reply #276139 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Yeh you're probably right...although I don't think he'll be without a championship too long...

Reply #276140 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Jules, I think the 'nobody else is ever going to win another MVP award while [X] is around' is probably very common. The same could be said for Kobe a few years ago, Shak before that, and MJ for as long as he wanted to play (sympathy votes to other good players aside).

James will lose a step or two as he ages, and will need to rely on his jumper more. Plus as he gets a better supporting cast around him and his stats inevitably peak or start to decline the votes will go elsewhere.

The NBA always need a new star to put their marketing behind, and keep the interest in the league.

Reply #276148 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Nah, it's differnet for LeBron than it is with Kobe and those guys...he's on another level.

Reply #276149 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

I'm sorry, did you just say LeBron is on a whole other level to Jordan? You better mean lower!

Reply #276163 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

I wouldn't mind seeing a critique from Mr Blackwell regarding Kobe's fashion statements. Whatever happened to him?

Reply #276165 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Bo, that sure looks like Kobe doing a "Blue Steel".

Reply #276215 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Maybe he calls it 'White Steel'?

For dedicated Kobe-watchers like me, this stuff is grist for our mill. Why do this? He's baffling and addictive all at once.

Reply #276228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done Lebron, many more to come. No finals series for you though. Magic and Suns Finals.

Reply #276280 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Lol, just read this quote from the Tribune..

Sure, Howard was the reason the Magic finished with the NBA's second-best record (behind James' Cavs).

But to me, anybody who is 24 and has nine cars and a mansion and enough cash to buy an island ... and still cares enough to actually repeat as the Defensive Player of the Year ... that guy warrants the runner-up distinction, if not knighthood.

http://linky.com.au/uwuxj

I wish I could buy an island..

Reply #276328 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd buy an island and then dig a moat.

Reply #276329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ha Ha Suns in the final? Are you serious? They have 2 chances of getting past the spurs.... let alone the lakers. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Reply #276492 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:35 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754