Anon
Years ago

SA players at U17/19 camps?

Any SA Boys/Girls at the current camp. Think its this week??

Topic #22895 | Report this topic

:P  
Years ago

yer u

Reply #276194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will find it was over the weekend just gone. 17's anyway.

Reply #276221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

19 camp this weekend

Reply #276245 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Does anyone know if the participants in the u17 camps are exclusively chosen from the previous year's u18 nationals participants or do state coaches make the national coaches aware of a pool of potential players?

I'm thinking that if a state coach decides to go with a small team doesn't that disadvantage a potential tall player who never got the opportunity to come under the eye of the national coach at the Australian Championships.

I guess its obvious that I have a tall 16 year old that got cut from the u18 state team and now misses out on an additional opportunity.

Or maybe they already know about everyone worth having a look at through NITP. Or maybe my kid just needs to train harder.

Reply #276258 | Report this post

Just Looking  
Years ago

Think you will find that most state coach's are satelite coaches that assist with national squad selection.So you are correct that umless you are in favor with them or come from their rep club you have absolutely no hope.If anyone watched recent 18 nationals you would shake your head at selected team

Reply #276263 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I really wish you hadn't mentioned that rep club part because there certainly seemed to be a bias in the team I'm thinking of. "If you can't lick 'em, join 'em", we should aswitched clubs.

Reply #276287 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

258 - if I may venture an opinion from somebody down the road with a tall girl too. Yes the State ITC coaches will put forward any kid who they see has the potential to be an 'international' player at Open level (the current emphasis I believe - and a shift from the previous regime of 'win now' for all National Junior Teams). The basketball network is very thorough and if there is a good kid (particularly a tall one!) then the selectors will know about her and she will be on the radar.

Many of these players have been identified prior to National Championships through State-based talent ID etc. The earlier the better because as with most groups, its harder to get in than get out.

Having said that, unless there is a real issue with the non-selection then its unlikely that a player who doesn't appear at Nationals will get an invite to a National Camp and that's simply a function of numbers. 20 players at a final selection camp this time around doesn't allow much room for a 'project' player.

I would also say that this is a remarkable age group in terms of talented and capable 'talls' as opposed to any age group I have seen come through before. At Nationals this year there were at least 10 'talls' (6'1 or bigger) of good quality who could play (3-4 Vic Metro, 2 Qld Sth, 1-2 NSWC, 1 Tas, 3 SAC, 2 ACT, 1 WA, 1 NQ) off the top of my head.

9 of those girls were in the National Squad so that's a tough group to break into. Two of them are 'generational' talents and a number of the rest would have been the dominant tall in the age group in any of a number of recent years.

While that may seem all doom and gloom its not. I'm a firm believer in talent and effort winning out and over time those things show themselves. That's not to say that the process isn't without some heartache - my daughter missed out on a team as a bottom-aged U16 and it broke her heart - but she kept working and she has surpassed everybody that was picked in that team - mind you, there are still plenty ahead of her.

The most important thing for any player, in my humble opinion, is to still want to play the game by the time you are able to fully realise your talent. Early-ripe, early-rotten may be an old cliche but is as appropriate as ever when it comes to players career paths - help them maintain a passion to improve and never mind where they start, they'll finish ahead of most.

Many a player struggled to make junior state teams but went on to have successful and fulfilling basketball careers while their precocious peers peaked and stalled, ever to rest on the laurels of their U16 State team selection.

Reply #276288 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

You know Ankles, I enjoy reading your posts.

Next time Albury comes round i think i will try and have a chat...if thats ok....

Reply #276303 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

BMF - always up for a chat - unfortunately, not on the Albury radar any more - moved states!

Reply #276304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BMF, thanks for that informative and sensitive response.

Reply #276308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

er ... I mean ankles ... but thanks also BMF

Reply #276309 | Report this post

Ballerz 42  
Years ago

can ne1 try out 4 the 19's team?

I missed out on state, but am 6"4' n stil growin!!!!
Mum said she'd drive me to trials as well, where is it?

Reply #276314 | Report this post

fine legs  
Years ago

The camp starts with a spelling test - I'm afraid there's a massive fail heading your way.

Reply #276325 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

State coaches do put forward........but unfortunately in SA NG has the last word. If he hasnt earmarked you himself, you wont budge him!

Reply #276331 | Report this post

Nix 48  
Years ago

And considering you go to these camps like NG I assume you understand exactly what is expected, needed and who they are competeing against!

Reply #276339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also considering NG's record with this age group over recent years.Silver -Bronze -Bronze medals at Nationals, you are right he obviously has no idea what it takes to spot talent.

Reply #276350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

results dont count...bagging ppl count

Reply #276356 | Report this post

basketball taxi  
Years ago

The U/17 Mens final camp is being held in a couple of weeks. They are down to the final 15. I think Daniel Carlin is the only SA player left.

Reply #276374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

According to eagles website Corrigan and Minear at gems camp

Reply #276417 | Report this post

rocket  
Years ago

I like "ankles's" thinking, sensible, thoughtful, less biased than most.
The NG thing is of interest. Is it that locked in/locked out these days?

Reply #276446 | Report this post

goemus  
Years ago

There are 2 SA boys at the camp, Nathan Spehr and John Marriott, both from Sturt.

A team to tour China in early June will be chosen from the 19 in the group.

Camp is only a short one, Thursday 6-5 to Sunday 9-5.

Reply #276499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nathan Spehr is actually from West. He has been at sturt for almost 1 yr.

Reply #276510 | Report this post

Lol  
Years ago

But would ne have made the necessary improvement if he had not moved?

Reply #276519 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Still cannot fatham why 2 talls (Corr & Marr) are at the camp? Heard both at nationals were very average..............Seems again, if you've got height your in with a chance of being taught how to catch a ball property......if your small, is a promise....... (and no I dont have a kid playing) Footy for me.

Reply #276573 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Why didnt J OT get a call back?

Reply #276575 | Report this post

Oberon 78  
Years ago

Anon,

If you are tall you are competeing against the other talls.

If you are small you are competeing against the other smalls.

How hard is that to work out!

Reply #276585 | Report this post

Triton 15  
Years ago

In S.A if your a tall you are competing against the smalls, thats why lots of talls play football or netball.
Just the style of ball played here.

Reply #276662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any news on girls camp

Reply #276698 | Report this post

goemus  
Years ago

Both the SA boys made the team for China.

Will post the rest of the details when I know more.

Reply #276780 | Report this post

pallas95  
Years ago

Emus team selected for China tournament 10.05.10

Eight members of the Australian U19 Men's team that won the Albert Schweitzer Tournament in March have been named in the Emus side to contest a tournament in China next month. The Emus will take on China, the United States and Slovenia in the tournament from June 4-14. Jackson Hussey (pictured, right) has returned to the team after missing the AST through injury while Sam Rowley, John Marriott and Mitchell McCarron are the other new faces in the lineup.

The Australian U19 Men’s team will use the tournament as preparation for the world championship qualification tournament, the 2010 FIBA Oceania U19 Championships to be held in September 17 - 19.

The 12-strong team was named following a four day training camp at the Australian Institute of Sport last week.

http://www.basketball.net.au/

Australian U19 Men’s team for China Tournament:
Jackson ALDRIDGE / Norths, NSW / AIS
Jordan BARRY / Illawarra, NSW
Mitchell CREEK / Horsham, VIC / AIS
Anthony DRMIC / Dandenong, VIC / AIS
Igor HADZIOMEROVIC / Melbourne, VIC / AIS
Jackson HUSSEY / Cockburn, WA / AIS
John MARRIOTT / Sturt, SA
Mitchell McCARRON / Brisbane, QLD / AIS
Sam ROWLEY / Norths, NSW
Nathan SPEHR / Sturt, SA
Lewis THOMAS / Stirling, WA / AIS
Corban WROE / Brisbane, QLD / AIS

Reply #276795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

258. May be too late for this post but i have just stumbled onto this site. I agree with "ankles" and also concur with others that his response was well considered and worth reading. A good mate also has a tall daughter and talking to him just recently he confirmed one of "ankles" key points, if you are good enough "they will find you". Granted, playing in the Nationals makes it easier to be found! however it is not a pre-requisite. His 15 year old daughter has just been selected to attend the Under 19 Aus development camp and did not play at the recent 18 Nationals. Whilst she was selected in the final squad of 20 she did not make the final cut for the Vic Country team. (although to be fair she was suffering from Glandular fever and missed all training sessions and played very limited minutes (3-5 mins) in Albury). However the point still remains that selectors clearly have other means other than the Nationals for making their selection. I would also support ankles idea of different development and late bloomers. I must admit that my expertise is more in the AFL football arena however, if i use my mates daughter as an example, she was in the 16s state team and when she competed in the nationals (at Ulverstone) she had literally only been playing for 3 months. In fact she only went to the trials to keep a girlfriend company and at the time had played only 2 games in her life. I watched my mate teach her to do a lay up the night before so that she would not be so embarassed. Obviously this girl is the exception to the rule, however, this post is my long winded way of saying to you and your daughter that it may not have happened this year but it doesn't it wont happen in the future.

Reply #279008 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:46 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754