DB5
Years ago

MJ changing Bobcats name?

Possible NBA team name change on the cards.

With the Bobcats' season over, one way Jordan is thinking of putting his own personal stamp on the team is the rumor that he is actually considering changing their team name away from the "Bobcat" moniker, given to the team by original owner Bob Johnson.

Full article:
http://linky.com.au/17lpf

Thoughts people?

I think it is not a bad idea, will increase revenue, and maybe bring back fans that Shinn originally alienated by giving the community a say in the matter.

I personally think they should change from Charlotte to Carolina and then add the nickname.

Flight was a suggestion, sounds pretty cool, but also more about Jordan than the team, so probably no. Cardinals sounds good as well, but I think there is a NFL team with that already.

Topic #22916 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

I hated the name "Bobcats" and always loved the old Charlotte Hornets moniker but that is just not feasible anymore...

Not sure what they should change it to though if they do...

Reply #276501 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Yeah, Hornets was good, never should have moved from Charlotte either. They were my second favourite team in the day with LJ, Gill, Curry, Zo and Earl Boykins lite.

Reply #276508 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yo Grand ma ma! Right wit ya!

Reply #276509 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

DB5 you are right the Cardinals is both an NFL team (Arizona) and a MLB team (St Louis), so something more original would probably work better.

I like the idea of putting out to the fans. Although thats how they came up with Timberwolves....

Reply #276511 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Absoultely should, bobcats name sucks balls, so do the colours.

Reply #276512 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Maybe they could change to North Carolina Colours

Reply #276513 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Thought so, cheers Uwe Blab.

It shouldn't be just Charlotte anymore as I said before, call them Carolina, and get Sth Carolina fans on board as well as Charlotte/Nth Carolina.

Any ideas guys?

Carolina Cougars (old ABA team)

Carolina Churches

Carolina KKK's...sorry.

Reply #276514 | Report this post

Chucker  
Years ago

If Jordan thinks the name is more important than having a team that can get closer to a championship then he should try and buy the Jazz name and trade it to Norleans for the Hornets name.

Or he could ask David Stern to relocate all 3 franchises. Sounds like he's more "Money" than sense.

Reply #276516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

new team: Air Charlotte

Reply #276521 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

I reckon "Carolina Flight" has a nice ring to it.
Sure the name has a lot to do with Jordan, but the branding of the team could be done in a way that makes it different to the existing Jordan related Flight.

Reply #276530 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Damn you DB........ I shed a tear reading those names.....

Jordan should broker a deal to get the Hornets name back in Charlotte, ship the Jazz name back to New Orleans, and Utah can have a brand new name like the Utah Mountain Lions, Utah Mormons or Utah Stars (there old ABA franchise).

It's crap, the Hornets name was given to Charlotte due to North Carolina's history during the Revolutionary War. New Orleans Jazz in the old days, made sense, Utah Jazz, hell Salt Lake City is too boring for Jazz.

Unless Jordan can get the Hornets name back, just stick with the Bobcats.

Reply #276536 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

how about "MJ's F@$King team"...I mean, why not!

Reply #276546 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

He could always go back to College and buyout the naming rights to the "Tar Heels". Uni is full of egg-heads so they can brainstorm a new name for the team.

Carolina Tar-Heels.

Could always steal one of the HSH names, like the Hurricanes or something.

Reply #276551 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Yeh they might steal "hurricanes" from high stakes hoops Big Marty.

But in all seriousness, I reckon they should be called the north carolina bluedevils.

Reply #276652 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:49 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754