Jonno
Years ago

Josh Pace, a SF option for the 36ers?

I just saw that Pace is playing in the NZ NBL, and remember him being the first choice of Smyth when they eventually signed Hodge, would he be worth another look? given we are wanting a import SF and he is playing NZ NBL and doing quite well he may be a good priced and high quality option. Im pretty sure he is similar to Hodge in that he can play 1-3 is quite athletic and has a good all round game.
What do people think? anyone seen him play and think he will be a good fit??

Topic #22917 | Report this topic

billo  
Years ago

Rumours of Josh Pace to the 36ers are like herpies, they keep coming back.

Reply #276567 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hopefully at least one of the NZ forum people can give us some info on how he's been going over there in their NBL?

I have never seen him play, but always got the impression that he was less athletic/wiry than Hodge, and more nuggety. Like an undersized SF (even undersized SG) with some strength to soak up bumps inside?

I think Adelaide would have higher hopes for their import spot(s)?

Reply #276571 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Unfortunately due to the lack of a TV deal over here, the NZNBL is not televised at all anymore. Thus you rarely get to see other teams play. Judging by the stats, he has played very well, but hasn't played big big mins and hasn't taken alot of shots. In tonights game he was 8/15 FG, 2/2 FT for 18 points, 5 rebounds and 2 steals in 28 minutes.
He has just come into the team with Jamil Terill been sent home, so he is probably just settling in and adjusting to the offenses etc. He is familar with the NZNBL as he tore the league up a few seasons ago with the Nelson Giants (and got MVP of the league from memory).
Could easily be a 30ppg kind of player once he has settled in. Doesn't rebound that well however--quiet one dimensional--he'll score the basketball, good slasher can get to rim. But won't do to much else i.e. Rebound, create for his teammates etc.
The Bay Hawks (Pace's team) are playing in New Plymouth Sunday, so I will go observe him then and get back to you on what I think.

For me, there are alot of quality players in the NZNBL that haven't been picked up by ANBL clubs. Chris Daniel, who played for the Singapore Slingers a few seasons ago could easily be with an ANBL club. 6"8 shooter. He played with Darren Ng and Blago Janev at Singapore. He was also a development player with Breakers prior to going to the Slingers

Reply #276661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Josh Pace is one of the best imports to play in NZ. He has a bit of everything, handles ball well, good 3 pt shooter,penetrates better than most, quick for his size, a strong rebounder and can play D which a lot of imports shy away from. He would add a lot to any team he payed for.

Reply #276676 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Went to watch him scored 24 points today. Played an efficient offensive game
Has the ugliest shot ever. Techinally horrible

Reply #276749 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:47 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754