Camel 31
Years ago

36ers look at buying the Dome

On Monday - Groves v Bank court case will decide ownership. Sixers have long term leases with Groves and happy with that arrangement if Groves retains ownership. But IF the bank wins ownership they would buy it.

Topic #22933 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

"But IF the bank wins ownership they would buy it"

Source?

Reply #276682 | Report this post

helium  
Years ago

Reply #276685 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

Actually, I believe Ben's quote says they'd "look" at buying it.... Big different between investigating if it's feasible, and flat out saying they'll take it.

Reply #276691 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The bank will have to successfully argue that they own it, first.
While Groves has stated - that it's owned by a member of his family and that repayments have not been late.

Reply #276695 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Wonder where the cash would come from, as much as i like the idea of them holding the facility i would hate to see them overstretch themselves financially. A stable club and separate facility owner is better than 1 entity juggling bills.

Reply #276702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Wonder where the cash would come from"

They could use the money they're not spending on the team?

Reply #276707 | Report this post

PodMan  
Years ago

Maybe Fuss could lend them the money?

Reply #276728 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Loan defaults and debt collections are always tricky.

Repossessions get down to whose name is on the title and whether and how the asset was a secured asset in the first place. Transfer of title occurs once payment has been received in full.

The things to look for are:

* Name on title: Individual, partnership, trust, or company?
* Loan contract: Who name was the loan in, does it match the title, was the loan part of a much larger loan, what was the asset that was used to secured the loan.

A title search would confirm the title name, but only the bank and client would know the contract details. Without knowing the details, the bank would have the asset listed as collateral on some document or else it would not be chasing.

Conveyancing documents from the purchase would show whose name the asset is in and whether the asset is used as collateral.

Sounds like it will be a nasty one and could drag

Reply #276731 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

From what I understand it isn't the standard mortgage in favour of the bank in exchange for purchase funds, rather a line of credit secured by the Dome. The disagreement is in relation to when the line of credit, which eddy drew down on to meet refinancing of his other debts, is due to be repaid.

Reply #276743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A simple title search (this information is on the public record and can be looked up by almost anyone familiar with the Land Titles Office) shows that the title is in the name of E Groves and that there is no listed mortgage on the property.

Reply #276751 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

If that is the case, it may make it difficult for the bank to seize that asset

Reply #276753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No listed mortgage, but as covered off in other threads, two caveats. One to C/wealth bank, to secure a line of credit Eddie took out, and one to Eddies bro in law, for payment of all of the "renovations" that were undertaken at the dome. The timing of the lodgments has the commonwealth caveat lodged first, however the work undertaken for the renovation caveat occurred first, and therefore takes precedence. At least, that's my understanding of one side of the story...

Reply #276755 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

The place will be sold. CBA have already stated that. Eddy signed guarantees with the bank so as long as he owes the CBA money they can take any assett they like from him particulary if it is freehold. The caveat is easy for CBA to get around. 6ers should start looking for a new home unles SOS can come up with the money. Believe a deal already done with our religous friends.

Reply #276756 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Groves will argue the bank has no claim and seeks costs and damages as the dispute has lowered its value and made it difficult to secure tennants.

The bank seeks $5million plus costs.
AND a COPY of the title for the property !!

Reply #276758 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

Anon 756... my word is the religous friends you speak of are not interested.

Plus, the existence of a lease means that the 6ers would be safe, regardless of the owner.

It'll come out tomorrow hopefully, barring any further courtroom delays.

Reply #276762 | Report this post

lukn4atitle  
Years ago

Case Time 2.15 pm

Reply #276769 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

While only yesterday, a stranger asked, 'How do you get to Brett Maher Court?' I replied, " Practice. "
But it made me wonder who owns it - whether any progression from court case, last Monday.

Reply #277430 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

All things must change .

Reply #370076 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:52 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754