Isaac
Years ago

Tigers sign Nevill, Devendorf, Walker

From Daniel Eade (gaze.com.au writer) on Twitter:

The Melbourne Tigers will announce three new recruits/signings on Wednesday.
The Melbourne Tigers have signed an import point guard. It's not Corey Williams and it's not Tywain McKee.

Helliwell as one of the announcements?

Edit: Have updated the thread title to reflect the announced signings.

Topic #22948 | Report this topic

clarky  
Years ago

From Daniel Eade's (gaze.com.au writer) Twitter account:

The Melbourne Tigers have signed import Eric Devendorf, who is currently playing in the NZNBL.

The Tigers are also rumoured to have signed Luke Neville, Wade Helliwell and Lucas Walker.

Could these be the signings that are supposed to be announced tomorrow (i think)??

Reply #276906 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Planning on playing Tragardh as a SF.

More on Devendorf for those who don't know the deal:

The suspension is the result of a university judicial board hearing stemming from an incident involving Devendorf and a female student. Devendorf was accused of striking the female student in the face during an altercation in the early morning hours of November 1. The board found that Devendorf had violated three out of the five student codes he was accused of violating. Furthermore, Devendorf was already on disciplinary probation as the result of harming a student during the spring 2008 semester. The university judicial board recommended he be suspended for the remainder of the academic year, which his coach Jim Boeheim thought was too severe. Devendorf, as expected, appealed.
Walker is 203cm and 102kg, so likely a fairly solidly built SF?

Reply #276908 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Devendorf would be in the NBA if he had the right attitude and a decent head screwed on him.
No doubt about that IMO

Reply #276910 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Lucas Walker played small forward when at college in the state's...

With Luke Nevill potentially on board, along with the rumoured Helliwell, Burston, Tragardh, Greer and Lang, the Tigers have a massive front court! I just can't see how they play Nevill, Helliwell, Burston and co together...surely they have not been able to snare Nevill??? I would have though he would command a lot more money in Europe.

With a few NBL teams looking a lot bigger for next season, maybe the NBL is finally beginning to shed its "small ball" image?

Reply #276911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nevill and Helliwell signing set

Reply #276914 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

They are some big signings that is great for game if they all turn out ot be true!

Wouldnt mind seeing Neville playing in this league

but could demand some good money in europe

Reply #276917 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Just so everyone knows, Luke Nevill's surname does NOT have an "e" on the end...

Reply #276922 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

Im sorry

My mistake LC

Reply #276929 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I doubt it is true, but I will laugh if the Tigers have signed Nevill, Helliwell, Burston and Tragardh! Will be just like the GOAT team they put together in 09 - lots of talent but incapable of complementing each other on the court.

Nevill, Tragardh, Greer, Davendorf, import
Helliwell, Burston, Walker, Lewis, ????

Their last two shooters will need to be off this planet defensively and from the perimeter to give this team any chance of competing.

Reply #276937 | Report this post

SF  
Years ago

I would love to see Tragarhd play SF.

Cant shoot from range, doesn't pass, can dribble.

Machine catching and shooting in the block, but a black hole if he has to think more than a split second about what to do

Reply #276940 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

his left hand is painted on

Reply #276946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tragardh in the 3 spot is a joke. Please play him there tigers...please! Can't dribble or pass, can't shoot outside 17' and cannot guard the 4 spot latterally so how do you expect him to guard the 3 spot. Tigers will see a lot of zone this year, they will see teams beating them down the floor, and when it all goes to shit they will have a bunch of needy players trying to get there's. But it will be entertaining. Devendorff is not a point either. What happened to Kendal?

Reply #276953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't this Daniel Eade character the guy that said Ballinger was going to sign with the Tigers?

Reply #276963 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon re Eade, yes and that's obviously a fair point. Eade is enthusiastic but very prone to over-excited and premature reporting (witness Corletto-gate which has admittedly turned into an acknowledged joke of sorts). That said, I've heard Helliwell from a couple of sources and even him without Nevill would overload them with bigs. Burston is too good to play much off the bench (Hawks should've got him!). If they have really got Wade and Luke, you have to wonder about what Westover has planned!

Reply #276966 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Eade is now saying that Helliwell is not on the cards. If the three-signings thing is still happening, they could be Nevill, Devendorf and Walker.

Reply #276967 | Report this post

AO  
Years ago

its already on their site.

Reply #276968 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Helliwell was on the cards for Gold Coast apparently but then Rickert came up. He was then Melbourne's back up plan in case Nevill fell through. Poor guy just wants to come home but cant get a club!

Wonder if Sydney are interested?

Reply #276969 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Thanks AO. Have updated the title of this thread.

Reply #276971 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Tigers Link: http://linky.com.au/tv8aj

In a major coup the Melbourne Tigers have added 7'2" Australian Boomers squad member Luke Nevill and promising young American guard Eric Devendorf to their 2010/11 NBL roster. In a further boost, the club has also signed up and coming SEABL forward Lucas Walker for his first season in the NBL.

The Tigers will be huge this season.

Nevill (216cm) / Burston (211cm) / Tragardh (209cm) / Greer (200cm) / Walker (203cm)

That is a frontline that is massive.

"With the majority of the Tigers big men signed, the focus will now shift to the guard positions, where the Tigers are looking to fill the final import slot along with an Australian guard. Tigers veteran Daryl Corletto is on the short list of candidates along with 2009/10 squad member Mike Rose. The make up of the guard combination will depend on the starting point guard position, a position the Tigers feel is crucial to the structure of the overall squad."

They desperately need a point guard, and preferably a PG that can shoot the three-ball to spread the floor and help their big men. Without a number of perimeter threats, the Tigers will struggle with a frontline of that size. Co0rletto should be a #1 priority as he can easily slot in and play behind Devendorf. Mike Rose would be a perfect fit also.

Reply #276972 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

Starting to look like a decent tigers team

Reply #276974 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Something I read suggests that Devendorf won't be the full-time PG so I guess there's either an import PG still to come, or they'll have Crosswell in that spot. Or maybe they'll start Devendorf at PG and he'll shift across for the majority of his minutes?

Only two spots left to fill now, in the guard ranks you'd expect?

Reply #276976 | Report this post

Player23  
Years ago

So what happened to Daniel Dillon?

Reply #276977 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Haven't heard anything. Maybe they could rotate him, Crosswell and Devendorf. Anyone bored enough to work out what points they have left?

Reply #276980 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Dillon has not yet signed anywhere to my knowledge.

Tigers must sign guards to their final roster spots. I believe Mike Rose will be one as I think the bridges may have been burnt between Corletto and the Tigers. I would expect Corletto to sign with the Kings infact at this point in time.

The Tigers desperately need a PG that can shoot the three-ball. Crosswell does not fit that bill.

Reply #276982 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

Issac, yes i am bored enough to work it out!

Luke Nevill 9
Lucas Walker 2
Eric Devendorf 10
Cameron Tragardh 9
Matt Burston 8
Tom Greer 6
Bennie Lewis 1

Total of 45 with 3 spots left

Reply #276984 | Report this post

yo yo  
Years ago

Devendorf could well be the bad boy that the NBL needs read this about him being in NZ http://linky.com.au/x2a150

Reply #276985 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

he punched a girl in the face. how is that wat the nbl needs?

Reply #276987 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Let's be honestm Devendorf will fit right in at the Tigers under Westover. He essentially takes the place of Julius Hodge...

Reply #277008 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

Maybe they should look to resign hodge as well to compliment Devondorf!

Would be fun to read about all the stories about these 2 guys in the paper!

Reply #277010 | Report this post

shano  
Years ago

Tigers looking good, Perth looking good and Gold Coast looking real good..its gonna be an interesting season, I dont think we will be up their with them in terms of talent, but hustle, teamwork and attitude hopefully will make up for it. Looking at these teams, we need to good imports to compete, in my opinion. Hope our backup is Carter, he would add some defence which apart from Herbert does not look a strength.

Reply #277073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers have 25 points left. So they can sign 2 ten point players and a 5 point player. Maybe Rose,dickel and crosswell.

Nevill/Burston
Tragardh/Walker
Greer/Lewis
Devendorf/Rose
Dickel/Crosswell

Reply #277075 | Report this post

Suga  
Years ago

ANON/ISAAC, I actually said the "Tigers Want Ballinger" which they did. I know others said the deal was done, not I.

Reply #277093 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DE, you're right - on that one it was almost entirely crazed Adelaide fans in a panic. But you might want to ignore those "Ballinger a done deal" sources a bit in the future.

Reply #277105 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Very unfortunate for Burston, been the backup 5 man to a guy who was actually a legit NBA prospect (Nevill).
Honestly, how much game time will he get? Can't see him getting much, which is a shame because he is good enough to be an NBL starter.
They went out and got Devendorf, so its highly unlikely that they would go out and get another import at the 2 spot..Theres no way Devendorf and Rose would share mins at the 2 spot.
If they went and got Rose could they move him into the 3 spot:

Nevill
Tragardh
Rose
Devendorf
Dickel

Sure they would be small at the 3 spot with Rose, but the presence of Nevill inside could compensate for that?

Having watched the NZNBL, the Tigers definently need a pure PG..i.e. Don't rely on Devendorf to burden some of the PG duties. He was essentially cut from the Dean Vickerman (assistant breakers coach) coached Waikato Pistons because he wasn't a true point guard that they wanted.

Reply #277172 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Melbourne Tigers have confirmed the signing of another centre in the 212cm Wade Helliwell!!!!

Link: http://linky.com.au/60ipf

C Nevill / Helliwell
PF Burston / Greer
SF Tragardh / Walker
SG Devendorff / Lewis
PG ??? / ???

"There are two positions left on the Tigers roster, one being the final import slot which the Tigers are planning to use for a point guard. Tigers veteran Daryl Corletto is on the short list of 7-8 candidates along with 2009/10 squad member Mike Rose."

And the team I listed is no mistake, Al Westover has publicly said he plans to use Cam Tragardh as a small forward!!!

This team is so big we should rename them the Melbourne Giants! Westover will either be proven a genius or a moron with this team.

Reply #278168 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:56 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754