Baller
Years ago

Lightning set for the wooden spoon this season!

I have one question? What exactly is Steve Breheny doing?

Who have we signed?
More importantly who have we lost?

Foley is gone which should never have been allowed to happen! I'd put money on Duke following her out of SA.
It'll be surprising if Woosnam pulls back on the shoes.
The real kick in the guts is Tess Madgen signing with Bendigo.. A pure talent machine who I know would have loved to be in her home state has been left too late. should never have happened! The same thing better not happen with Newley or i think we'll be battling with Perth for the spoon.

Topic #22959 | Report this topic

anon  
Years ago

so who have we got on the roster ?can anybody give us the list ?
i keen to see what the pool is like -
Madgen absolutely gun ripping it up locally and under very own eyes she is gone ?
when will we learn to look after own backYard remember ingles newly forman foley SA great well maybe

Reply #277064 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

I am pretty certain Foley is actually from Country Victoria... Not sure how that makes her from our backyard anon???

Reply #277078 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

country Vic is actually in our backyard i reckon

Reply #277081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Relax, I'm pretty sure Angela is signed so all is well.

Reply #277083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Angela being signed is the problem

Reply #277085 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Now I am in no way close to the inner sanctum of basketball for quite a few years and thus know little of the "problems" with Angela Marino in regards to the Lightning. However, if her father had not purchased the license to the Team, would there still be a Lightning Team playing in the WNBL?

Reply #277089 | Report this post

hanging round  
Years ago

Great point Ushiro.
There have been many worse players than Angela come and go.
How she has put up with all this small-minded crap I don't know.
Perhaps she has a "Crap-Filter" if she ever checks this site.
Don't forget, we had a NBL coach make threats if HIS name was ever mentioned on here, but Vince lets this go without comment
Get over it

Reply #277091 | Report this post

expresso  
Years ago

adelaide are absoloutely rooted this season and probably the next 2-3 years.

all roads for upward mobiles are in canberra nd bulleen.

the power balance is nowhere near adelaide now jans gone.

unless vince opens the cheque book and buys 3 exceptional players we are bottom 3 for SURE.

i think "rebuilding" may be the term.

and attracting local players - sounds all good and may get a couple of ABl desperates excited but where are all our local home growns ? _ OVERSEAS OR INTERSTATE. The home grown speel is nothin but a way of saying we are going for the cheapest option.

good luck lightning keep on fooling yourselves you will be competitive after losing all that talent.

erin will be in canberra - she wants the opals gig.

Reply #277095 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From Boti's article today:

LIGHTNING appear to have locked away WNBL deals with Sam Woosnam, Angela Marino, Mia Newley and Nikita-Lee Martin, but my (e)mail information is the club is casting the net wide and overseas, but not in the direction of the US. Stay tuned and expect some Adelaide-based perestroika.
For those unaware, perestroika is a Russian term for 'restructuring'.

Reply #277131 | Report this post

baller  
Years ago

in other words - we're screwed.

Reply #277136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From someone that is close, Angela is the problem. If Vince hadn't have purchased the team when he did, the Lightning would be run under BSA and still have one of the best programs in Australia, not the worst!!!! It is a real shame!!!

Reply #277139 | Report this post

Triton 46  
Years ago

BSA canoot run a program that loses that much money. That is why BASA went broke, it was running programs that lost so much money it wasn't funny.

Reply #277140 | Report this post

baller  
Years ago

In total agreenence with Annonymous. Honestly, The Marino factor drives people away from the club. How the heck we let Madgen slip past us i'll never understand.. perhaps Vince was worried it would cut Angelas minutes back?

Reply #277156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone with honour and CHOICE will not participate in an organization that has been set up to indulge one player. It seems some here have not yet understood this.

Reply #277186 | Report this post

Anyone know Summerton's whereabouts?

I think the Perestroika gag could be to do with players in Russia...

Reply #277194 | Report this post

usa connection  
Years ago

we will need at least 3 top level, fit players to be competitive.

summerton, screen would be a start - but i would like one or two more at that level to feel confident.

look at what we are up against !

we also need the chemistry - look at what happened when that woman from usa came over - blonde haired one not the good dark haired one - never really clicked - yet she was a wnba regular.

Reply #277204 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

pickle - don't think she's in Russia. I thought Italy or nearer there?

Reply #277228 | Report this post

Astor  
Years ago

Rumor has it that Breheny is in talks with Tegan Cunningham, who has recently returned from the states. Could be a good pickup, considering she was probably unlucky to miss out on being drafted in the WNBA.

Reply #277587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its official. Francis and Camino to Logan, they also announced the signing of Emma Randall.

Reply #277750 | Report this post

Cath  
Years ago

Really sad news. Adelaide have always fielded one of the strongest teams in the league. Looks like they can't get out fast enough. Any news on Erin? Is she a chance for this season now she has been cut from the WNBA?

Reply #277761 | Report this post

Titan 20  
Years ago

If you treat people badly they do not want to stay. Angela has a private line to a certain Journalist and she uses this to get her own way. Anyone that might take the spot light off her. It doesn't matter if the stories are true or not as long as she gets her way.

The trouble is presently no one wants to play for the lightning.

Sydney are going through the same problems. The word on the WNBL street is don't go to Sydney. Dalton can not treat players properly, lies to them, the program Sydney runs is unprofessional, rules for some and not for others and if you do not come with a ready made sponsor to pour money into the program, then you are not wanted. Look at last years team and the many players that have just walked away. Batkavic-Brown, Manou, Herrick. They loss player after player, season after season, some so 'P' off they just give up.

Don't forget these young athletes do not get paid enough to have to put up with it. 90% of players in the league would be lucky to cover their costs to play. I suppose my point is, if you get a reputation in the league, no one is going to be banging down your door to play. The WNBL community is a very small one, everyone knows everyone and they talk, they see and hear what is happening to their mates.

Reply #277775 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Perhaps a group of people sincerely interested in the future of the Adelaide WNBL Team could form a Save Our Unloved Lightning group.

Not sure if there are enough people around with the $$$ but it may restore the SOUL to the Team.

Yeah I know it is a bit corny, but after last year nearly losing the Sixers, the girls could be next!!!

Reply #277777 | Report this post

Think the rot started when Chris Lucas got his gold watch.

Reply #277890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know where Duke is playing this season?

Reply #286962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She has an injury, needs to sit out to rehabilitate.

Reply #286970 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:55 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754