Listener
Years ago

Sturt vs Eastern

What does everyone else think about the match-ups between Eastern and Sturt and the final outcome? I think Sturt by 10 with Wilkey having a break out game. He has been struglling for a while but he will come good this game!

Topic #230 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Well, it's an interesting match-up. Eastern won in Mt Barker when Sturt had Williams but not Bauer. Then Sturt won at Pasadena without Williams.

Against North, Oscar had 25, and then the next best had 11. Against Southern, Jacob had 38 and the next best had 13. Jacob is out in a field of his own, but it's going to come down to the support cast for each team, and for Oscar to exert himself for Sturt.

Eastern are very capable with their guards but Trebilcock could be considered unreliable in the middle (2 points in 30+ minutes against Southern).

For Eastern, I think the key will be Davis. For Sturt, I'd say Wilkey and Benson.

You have to fear the ability of Jacob to win any game in this league, but it could still go either way. My tip is Sturt: Bauer and Wilkey can't shoot worse than 3/23 in 50+ minutes between them again. I can't stand nail-biting games, but I predict (or hope!) Sturt by 5.

Reply #1637 | Report this post

basman  
Years ago

the scene is set this week for a classic match that will be remembered for years to come as the game that changed SA Basketball. It will be a 'can-you-top-this' showdown between jacob and oscar, both going for 40+ in double overtime. jacob will hit some ridiculous jumpers down the stretch to keep it close and oscar will respond with some unexpected perimeter shooting. in the end it will come down to the the last shot
in double OT with the Mavericks trailing by 2 and the ball in Goodenough's hands on the 3-point line. His mind flashes back to the preliminary final 2 years ago where he airballed the shot to tie the game against forestville in OT, but then gets back to the task at hand. he fades away on the baseline, falling out of bounds and gets the shot off just over the top of bauer's fingertips. the shot goes high, the huge crowd rises as one. it hits steel and bounces high into the air. the ball comes back down and hits nothing but the bottom of the net as time expires. eastern by 1. goodenough rids the ghost of christmas past.

Reply #1644 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

I doubt it! The winner of this one will lose the next one anyway, methinks.

Reply #1773 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

Libertine, you are a ray of sunshine today!!!!!

This battle will indeed come down to the supporting casts, but i doubt if Benson will be required to contribute more then his usual.

I think the Mavs are going to win this one, convincingly, but by < 10 and here's why...

1) The Mavs have Jacob and after the year he has had [where i would consider he has cruised to some degree] he is ready to turn up the heat right on the Sabres.

2) Trebilcock had a poor showing last week. He has a lot of pride and fight, he will not want another poor performance in this Easterns biggest game of the year.

3) Jacob would be the best matched player in the League to guard Sturts #1 man Oscar. He plays with/against him everyday in the NBL season, knows his game inside out, has the strength to win the rebounding and the speed to match.

NOW...

I did say < 10, here's why:

Sturt has so many back up weapons. Their gameis to share the ball and let each of Bauer, Wilkey, Gower, Forman et al have little spurts. A nightmare for opposition coaches.

Good Luck to both teams.

Reply #1780 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

I am, having been seeing the internet much lately (work/brother fixing his computer = zero time for me), but it seems I haven't missed anything big.

EXCEPT

THEY STOLE MY BLOODY IDEA ABOUT THE YOUTH SQUAD

heh, all for the best I reckon though :D

Reply #1782 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:20 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754