Anonymous
Years ago

Pioneers' Jenkins gone as well

Another Pioneers player has decided to leave the team making him the fourth player to leave the team this season. Josh Jenkins from Townsville has gone and will severely weaken the team who now will rely on 6 or 7 players.

Why are players leaving so frequently here, from an outsiders perspective, something is wrong there

Topic #23035 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Something is definitely wrong...I can smell it from here.

Reply #278125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jenkins got offered $650 a game to play footy in Victoria, thats why he left. End of story. They havent had 4 players leave either so your info is wrong.

Reply #278126 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Import Kevin Smith was first to be told to pack his bags just after landing in the country, then Delaney departed, and now Jenkins have shipped out...

Reply #278133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and dont forget mason!

Reply #278134 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Thanks! That confirms 4 then...

Reply #278140 | Report this post

scorpio  
Years ago

Bring back Sonya I think would be a good idea.

Reply #278143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and if they dont want her bring back the other local lad that applied! He might not want to after being treated like he was!

Reply #278147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what a joke and a mess of a club, is someone going to clean all this up? what is happening inside this club, obviously its happening from the inside out, i dont care what anyone says, this coach has been nothing but a problem since he arrived

Reply #278154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does Sommerville escape unscathed through all this

Reply #278157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he must have the right people fooled, coiled around his fingers, its really a discrace when things like this are happening and nothing gets done..... can someone grow some balls and get something done, pioneers association are a joke right now

Reply #278161 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

i dont get you people! 1 player is released and 3 players quit because they cant accept their roles on the team because they think they are better than they really are and you all want to blame the coach. lets start to worry when a good player quits the team.

Reply #278163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1 was a returning US import
2 were current NBL development players
1 was a long time role player

who has to quit for this to matter?

Reply #278185 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

From Big V magazine "Overtime" (May Edition) on Kevin Smith, now playing for Mildura in the Big V Division 3 - and starring:

"...his career in tatters after being sacked from the Pioneers on the eve of the 2010 season."

"Smith still struggles to explain why he was sacked from Mount Gambier. He says reasons given to him ranged from immigration, coaching decisions, and the
withdrawal of a sponsor."

"None of it's been cleared up and I still feel the same way (betrayed)," he says.

“I just wish the club could’ve been a bit more honest and clear about the situation instead of putting not
only myself, but my family in that kind of position, or predicament.”

Big V Link: http://linky.com.au/5z3ov

Reply #278189 | Report this post

wizzel08  
Years ago

Smith was hard done by, no person should have been treated as he was, Pioneers loss Mildura's gain.

Reply #278209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely do not believe everything you read about Smiths departure. The Pioneers were not all to blame for his sacking.

Reply #278215 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

i agree , too many people shoot their mouths off without knowing the whole story.

Reply #278216 | Report this post

Pioneer  
Years ago

How the hell can anyone say Pioneers were not to blame for Smith sacking
The Pioneers board went to his house and sacked him
with their list of pathetic reasons,
The most obvious reason is the Summerville factor
anonymous you seem to be under the Summerville spell but it does wear off i promise

Reply #278217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players are leaving and they are winning without them.

Reply #278219 | Report this post

Noah  
Years ago

i don't really think people understand. From what i've seen of these guys play (i live in the mount), they are quite shit. Delany couldn't seem to shoot, was pretty selfish, and couldn't hit that floater that he seemed to love to take (just so he wouldn't get smashed).

Jenkins also had very little impact while on the floor too. We aint missing out on much here (bar smith).

Reply #278226 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

who has to quit for this to matter?
Sutton or Burdon?

What was the Pioneers' W-L record last year?

Reply #278231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You cant compare to last year. There was heavy recruiting this year with a much better team on the court to work with.

Reply #278247 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'll try again:

What was the Pioneers' W-L record last year?

Reply #278250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what if someone goes down hurt now? why did summerville never have a rotation in the first place? he drills playesr for 40 minutes and wonders why the pioneers were losing close games at the start of the season, there shouldnt be a big deal made about the games we are winning right now, they are games we are ment to win, i just cant see the pioneers getting it done now with absoluetly no depth in the roster

Reply #278263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They were meant to win two games in tassie were they?

Reply #278265 | Report this post

wizzel08  
Years ago

Please tell me if its not the Pioneers fault for sacking Smith then whos is it. Maybe he was the wrong colour for Summerville.

Reply #278266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have won their last 4 in a row, and everyone bitches about the coach.
Amazing

Reply #278273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good wins to the guys in tassie, but the last two and this one on the w.e they are ment to win, hobart at home? dandenong at home? the poor performance in albury when the pioneers also should have won? summerville is not a good head coach, he carries on like a clown, can get a good rotation going with his team, at the start of the season this roster was looking very good, instead the pioneers are a laughing stock with everything that has happened this year, we are a joke to the leauge again

Reply #278291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cant* get a good rotation going with the team**

Reply #278292 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't know the coach, haven't seen the games, I just wanted to argue with the haters. Whoever the coach is, he's managed to coax Burdon and Sutton across and they're two hard working players to work around.

Maybe he was the wrong colour for Summerville.
Real classy comment to make. Let's make what was probably just a change in direction into a racial debate?!

Reply #278301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

burdon is streaky and sutton has a good game one in every five,both not very consistent, hard workers maybe? , work or build a team around them? definately not

Reply #278303 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not quite a queue of exceptional talent lining up to move to Mt Gambier though, right? In terms of options for the Pioneers, they're pretty decent.

Reply #278308 | Report this post

player99  
Years ago

Isaac, you make good points and both Burden & Sutton have been good recruits, though I think the point some are making is that the Coach has played these two guards for up towards 40 minutes per game.

This meant that Delaney who was recruited from Hawks in the Nbl & Mason who has been with the Pioneers for many years and has been a more than solid bench contributor were left to average between 2 and 5 minutes per game court time.

Now these players have quit the club and the team is left with a lack of depth.

Reply #278321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think they will miss Jenkins more than stats show. He played 3 positions and defended very well on Greer, Polk and Walker. He was also a good rebounder in limited mins. I think letting highly paid Rice go is smart and bringing in 2 or 3 good solid players for similar money

Reply #278342 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Delaney played the last 50-60 minutes (over x games) for one whole point. Shot 26% FG and 40% FT across the season. May have been brought in with greater expectations and wasn't as good as they thought? He didn't average 2-5 MPG.

Can't find stats for Mason at all.

I don't want to look like an apologist for the coach because where there's smoke there's fire, but on the other hand, any change is going to piss off some subset of a community - here there's a change in coach and a few players.

Burdon has played more than 35 MPG a grand total of twice. Sutton has done it in 7/13 games - who else do they have as a reliable point guard?

Reply #278348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Delaney's opportunities were too limited and rare. 1 minute at the end of a quarter, then Sutton comes back in, 2 minutes in an already decided game. I never seen him receive ample opportunity that I'm very sure he would've been promised.

Mason was never going to impact games greatly but he was a fan favourite and a long time player. I think he needed to be in the games for 3 or 4 minutes early on then see what happens. Get everyone in to keep their interest levels high, it's natural for young guys to be uninterested after 4, 5, 6 DNP's or near enough.

Josh Jenkins was a contributor on the team, he started one game and started well but was then sat for a long time, I have no doubt he was uninterested in the last few games due to Summerville's antics which caught many sponsors and onlookers off guard.

Losing a local role player, the main 'reserve' poin guard and the sixth man (usually) will hurt them down the stretch

Reply #278391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So basicaly we dont expect them to get anymore w's

Reply #278397 | Report this post

Vesta57  
Years ago

There are only a handful of people that know the full Smith story.
Smith is not one of those people unfortunately.
Frankly, people he thought were friends within the Pioneers management did him a great dis-service.

Not the coach. my information is that he was quite clear, before Smith came to Australia that there was not a spot for him.

What followed was a powerplay with no winners.

Reply #278415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so the Poineers get another win i c.

Reply #278440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Burdon and Jeffree a combined 4-24 v Dandenong. Sutton had a 0-6 game, your not telling me this team needs Delaney and Jenkins to relieve and cover some slack? 3, 3 and 3 from Sutton is not going to get it done.

Reply #278756 | Report this post

wizzel08  
Years ago

Loose at home to NWT, whats the go ?????

Reply #278995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sack this incompetent coach! I don't know how he forged his credentials - but they have to be fake. His subs are unbelievable, the way he speaks to his players is disrespectful and what is positive about him, I personally haven't witnessed him praising his players only berating them - he need to go back to school and pick up his own chair by himself unaided and learn to speak to MEN.
He also needs to stop writing his own articles for the press to make him seem good (those who go to the games know how crap he is).
He also needs to remember it's the players kids idolize NOT THE COACH - backsides on seats - let the players get interviews and speak - he is as fake and stupid as a (use your imagination) - and too full of his own self importance.

Reply #285501 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:38 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754