dingo
Years ago

16 nbl roster spots left!

Looking at the rosters to date there are still some decent uncontracted names about. with most of these jobs going to imports where does this leave guys like corletto, o'hea, demos, vanderjagt and a few others? also will it be a 32 game season given the extra team?

blaze:
rickert davison
petrie garlepp
import hoare
harvey goulding
gibson cadee

*very versatile roster that goes 10 deep (also good mix of youth and experience). world class shooters, some quality big men. final import swingman will be the key, otherwise this team is legit. endless ball carrying options and should be able to put big points on anyone any night not to mention one of the best coaches going round. a few injury prone players probably the no.1 concern here.

wildcats:
knight trueman
redhage wagstaff
weigh tovey
lisch williamson
martin robbins

*kept most of the roster together whilst upgrading at the centre spot. not sure about tovey and trueman however. this team will be around the mark come march. may not have cap room to grab that 2nd import mid season this time round though.

tigers:
nevill helliwell
burston walker
tragardh greer
devendorf lewis
Import ?????

*talented interesting roster that will be very hard to match up on. some quality big men along with devendorf who is a legit star. will depend on their future signings and if they gel together but this team can make some noise if they want to. can see a few guys here struggling for minutes though which may effect chemistry?

breakers:
?? Pledger
Vukona Boucher
Abercrombie ??
Penney Webster
Bruton Henare

*Vukona is a great addition to the franchise however they look undersized and with an ageing bruton, cant see how this team can get to the post season. Also question marks over superstar kirk penney with interest overseas. Need some big import signings, will lemanis last the season? intangibles make it hard to say where this team will end up.

hawks:
Forman Behrendorff
Davidson Jackson
Gruber Coenraad
Saville Campbell
Import Martin

*Kept their team together mainly though forman is a massive downgrade on cam "trigger" tragardh as they will soon learn. also shouldve kept mckee as they wont find anyone better who is in that price range. will win games though playoffs unlikely.

kings:
Khazzouh B.Knight
McCullogh Janev
Import Dann
?? ??????
Cooper Martin

*seems to be a team of nbl rejects so far minus khazzouh. need some big name showman type players at the 2 and 3 spots if they want good crowds and wins on the board. hope to see them be successful though will struggle to get off the bottom atm. lol at them considering scott mcgregor as a signing.

crocs:
Schenscher Allen
Hinder Blanchfield
Crawford Williamson
Cedar C.Cedar
Import ??

*solid roster coming along here though not sure why theyd release the league mvp and i think it may well come back to bite them. can finish anywhere from 3-8 on ladder.

taipans:
Loughton ??
Crosswhite Boodnikoff
Rhycart Grabau
Import ??
Jones Williams

*cant expect much more from a low budget team. loughton is ok but cant see where their points will come from. fresh imports are a necessity here and maybe a vanderjagt type to shore up their bigs? a legit shooter @ the 2 spot a necessity.

36ers:
Johnson Dowdell
Ballinger Hill
Holmes Herbert
Import Ng
Import Carter

*i do like they players signed to date on this team though the team does lack depth and could come unstuck if injury came to a key player. needs some decent imports if they want in on that final 4. Carter could see extended minutes as a real x-factor off the bench as he proved for the dragons in that famous gf series. i rate johnson balls herbert ng carter, not so sure on the others. team lacks aggression etc, good coach may help that.

ladder prediction:

wildcats
blaze
tigers
crocs

hawks
36ers
breakers
taipans
kings

Any word on local signings and imports?

Topic #23045 | Report this topic

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Williamson and Chris Cedar are not signed by the Crocs yet... Blanchfield has not been 'officially' signed either

Reply #278256 | Report this post

dingo  
Years ago

oh ok, do you think they will be signed or is the club looking to go a different direction?

Reply #278257 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

Based on the rosters above, I think the ladder will end up more like this:

Blaze
Wildcats
Crocs
36ers

Breakers
Hawks
Tigers
Taipans
Kings

I just cant see the tigers getting anywhere unless they sign an absolute start point. Also, the 36ers will be right in the mix, they are definately as deep as at least 3qtrs of the other teams are....but alot comes down to imports.

Reply #278258 | Report this post

dingo  
Years ago

theres a few teams that could finish anywhere really from top few to bottom few. these are crocs breakers hawks 36ers tigers.

Reply #278260 | Report this post

dingo  
Years ago

Also my thoughts on the future of the nbl. league should have 10 or 12 teams. no more as it stretches playing depth and no less as fans would lack interest then.

i cant see cairns surviving long into the future unfortunetly and you would have to think a brisbane team and 2nd melb team are certainties.

the league would be best something like this:

sydney kings
wollongong hawks
gold coast blaze
brisbane bullets
townsville crocodiles
melbourne tigers
2nd melb team (dragons please)
adelaide 36ers
perth wildcats
nz breakers

that leaves you with 10 teams, leave it at that for a while to stabalise etc and future expansion could go to tasmania and a 2nd WA team (fans would embrace a tassie national pro team and 2nd wa team would create a rivalry in a fast growing area, similar to the dockers in afl).

Reply #278261 | Report this post

dingo  
Years ago

also im feeling craig bradshaw to breakers.

Reply #278262 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Feeling" Craig Bradshaw to Breakers?! Channeling the spirits! I guess it's possible but I think Lemanis is looking for more of an inside presence to cover for his undersized roster.

As for the ladder, very early as very few imports signed, but assuming most teams sign decent contributors, I will go with this:

New Zealand
Gold Coast
Perth
Townsville

Wollongong
Adelaide
Melbourne
Cairns
Sydney

I expect the ladder to be pretty close again, with the bottom teams close to or in double figures in the win column, and no team winning more than 17 or 18.

Reply #278267 | Report this post

dingo  
Years ago

big call with nz on top. where will luke kendall end up? hes a quality player worthy of a gig somewhere surely?

Reply #278268 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Cairns are looking for good players, Kendall would be a great pickup for them - would take a lot of pressure off Williams and their import guard.

As for NZ, they were only two wins off top spot last year and had a pretty bad run with injuries and imports. When fit they were close to the best team in the league in the last 6 weeks of the season, with Penney and Bruton in super form.

Reply #278269 | Report this post

dingo  
Years ago

regarding fantasy these players are on my list of options:

centres (2spots): (i like to go 1 gun here and a very cheap backup who has potential for increased minutes and improvement)

mathew knight (will be the dominant big man and is known for his high fg %, big points boards blocks etc

Ben Allen- As below

Dowdell-cheap big man who could see minutes

alex pledger- similar to dowdell/allen

Forwards (4 spots): (probably need to save some cash here with cheap guys on the bech who can increase their value but go guns to start as shown)

Larry Davidson (numbers will rise with tragardh gone)

Adam Ballinger: probably will be starting with davidson

blaze small forward- obviously need to see who it is first but seems he will play a very key role in the team and is high end.

Thomas Abercrombie- depends on his price and pre season form.

tim coenraad- may grab him as a benchie if hes cheap.

Graham Dann- maybe a good bench option pending pre season form and cheap!

Guards (4 spots): (i like to load up here with 3 guns as guards score higher in fantasy than other)

Eric Devendorf: Will probably go either this guy or their yet to be named other import pg.

Kirk Penney- Do i need to explain?

Adam Gibson- very consistent and numbers should rise with ayinde gone.

Mike Cedar- good player and cheap who should benefit with more ball given homicides absence.

Corey Webster- hes definetly in the 10 yeah?

I finished top 20 last year out of 6000+ and plan to improve on that. also does anyone have a roy prediction yet? whos in the mix?

Reply #278385 | Report this post

dingo  
Years ago

Any teams looking at daniel dillon? dominated in high stakes hoops, got an nbl ring as 11th man and played at a big college. surely hes better than a few other nbl players atm.

im thinking either tigers in that remaining backup guard spot or 1 of the north qld teams.

Reply #278436 | Report this post

dingo  
Years ago

For a bit of fun i will project how the rosters will end up barring most imports as thats tough:

blaze:
rickert davison
petrie garlepp
import hoare
harvey goulding
gibson cadee

rotation looking like, got alot of guys who can play alot of spots:

rickert davison garlepp petrie
petrie davison garlepp
import hoare harvey
harvey goulding import
gibson cadee goulding hoare

wildcats:
knight trueman
redhage wagstaff
weigh tovey
lisch williamson
martin robbins

tigers:
nevill helliwell
burston walker
tragardh greer
devendorf lewis
Import dillon

breakers:
Import Pledger
Vukona Boucher
Penney Abercrombie
Braswell Webster
Bruton Henare

Depending on what happens they could bring in a craig bradshaw type mid season and run a lineup like this: Do people prefer penney @ sf or sg?

Import Bradshaw Pledger
Bradshaw Import Vukona
Penney Vukona Abercrombie
Braswell Penney Webster
Bruton Henare Braswell Webster

hawks:
Forman Behrendorff
Davidson Jackson
Gruber Coenraad
Saville Campbell
Import Martin

losing trigger will hurt and out of the 4 my tip, forman is overrated.

kings:
Khazzouh B.Knight
McCullogh Janev
Import Dann
Kendall Demos (is demos a legit option?)
Cooper Martin

crocs:
Schenscher Allen
Hinder Blanchfield
Crawford Williamson
Cedar ???
Import ???

Atm i personally dont rate this team but who knows.

taipans:
Loughton Vanderjagt (inconsistent but tempting)
Crosswhite Boodnikoff
Rhycart Grabau
Jones Massingale (its what im hearing?)
Mills Williams

Skip mills a chance to return? this team is way under cap.

36ers:
Johnson Dowdell
Ballinger Hill
Holmes Herbert
Import Ng
Import Carter

Got no clue here but needa get something special regarding imports. hill and holmes their weak links. is ng hitting the weights this off season?

Reply #278437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luke Kendall, Clint Reed, Christopher Cedar, Ismail Muhammad, Andrew Rice, Dwayne Vale, Todd Blanchfield, Michael Chitham, James Comino, Daniel Dillon, Tarriq Naqqash, Daniel Joyce, Sam Harris and Nathan Crosswell are some names without jobs.

I'm thinking Kendall will miss out.
Reed's done.
Cedar might steal that back-up point spot in TSV.
Muhammad could be Cairns import.
Rice is 30 and is likely done.
Vale could be squeezed out.
Blanchfield might be the Crocodiles reserve 3-man.
Chitham is young but will miss this season.
Comino is similar to Chitham but may be Cairns DP.
Dillon was suggested at clubs but will miss now.
Naqqash is done.
Joyce is very likely done.
Harris is always a chance mid-season at 221cm.
Crosswell might get the Tigers spot, otherwise import.

Reply #278668 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How is Crosswell still not signed anywhere? Never got the impression from his attitude that he'd demand more than he was worth? Didn't he start on a championship team, if not successful teams?

Reply #278675 | Report this post

ox  
Years ago

anyone know if homicide has been talking to anyone? As deficent as his outside shot is, he may fit nicely/completely destroy melbourne?

Reply #280288 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:05 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754