Tilly
Years ago

Forestville bias in ABA write ups?

I'm curious to know why Forestville features in all the special write ups on top of the weekly ABA reviews?

Topic #23075 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville Junior James Woite (who I believe is studying journalism) has taken time out of his saturday nights to attend the games and do a write up for BSA free of charge.

Reply #278726 | Report this post

Tilly  
Years ago

Has BSA invited all the other clubs to self promote this way? BSA has dropped the ball with posting round stats and summaries when incomplete and seem to be behind in previews more often than not, that it stands out a little when the web site reflects more of Mr Woite's work than the official responsible for ABA news.

Reply #278730 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

Good to see our new BSA employee is doing his job!

The position was CABL Media Coordinator Appointment

David Tonks was the lucky man to get the job now this was done in April

What has he done since being employed???

I really haven't seen much advertisement through the paper or on the Internet

And as for James from Forestville, Good stuff mate keep it up I just wish there was more people like u who had some brains and help out your club!

Reply #278732 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

also

Why should BSA need to ask if each club if they wants to advertise themself???

Clubs should wanna do this without being prompted

Seems the smart thing to do really

Reply #278734 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Clubs could surely volunteer if they wanted to get similar material up there rather than wait and see if they're asked. Someone volunteers their time to do something presumably for nothing and gets ripped. Too often in SA basketball, more time gets spent complaining than actually doing. How often is there a "Why no Lightning threads?!!" topic rather than the poster, I don't know, actually contributing a decent Lightning thread themselves?

(Please note: only responding to this "Has BSA invited all the other clubs to self promote this way?", not the other points.)

Reply #278735 | Report this post

hrm  
Years ago

David Tonks (as in David Tonks from Eastern?) is CABL Media Coordinator? Is this a joke? I mean seriously, what does this guy know about media?
The guy struggles to handle his role at Eastern.

Reply #278736 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

Yeah David tonks from Eastern is the new media manager

and your he knows nothing which is why nothing has been happening since he took over the role

Reply #278737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you guys can do better? why didn't you apply?

Or did you and didn't get the job?

And as for saturday nights, why don't you guys have a shot at the title, get on the mike..?

Im off to by some Kevlar, cos the snipers have itchy trigger fingers.

Reply #278739 | Report this post

Filthy Mexican  
Years ago

This is a crazy topic, Forestville provides their own write up for games, if there is some bias in it, while that is to be expected.
There is no bias towards any club in the official BSA writeups, so deal with it.
If you are interested in seeing a writeup about your club then write one and pass it onto BSA via your club secretary, if it is well written and concise I am sure it will be posted.
David Tonks cannot be at every game so he cannot be expected to have a post game writeup for every team. I have been on this forum for years and I can honestly say i have no idea what you people expect from the basketball community in this state!

Reply #278740 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

Im already involved at ABL games so dont tell me to put my hand up when i already am helping

As for the position for media manager i dont expect Tonksy to be at every game but his job is to coordinate the media so he should be getting onto each club and getting a weekly from the home team so it can be published

He also needs to have a decent weekly preview & results in the Advertiser as well

And as for applying for the position i didnt apply because i already am giving 7 days a week to this sport in SA so i just dont have the time outside my 9-5 job and basketball commitments to do this job

Reply #278743 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

I applied for the Central ABL Media Co-Ordinator role.

Reply #278747 | Report this post

NO IDEA  
Years ago

(Mod: Sniping.)

Reply #278750 | Report this post

CJ  
Years ago

I believe James approached BSA re these REVIEWS (not previews) as part of his studies / assessment

Reply #278754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you have read David Tonks' articles in The Courier newspaper over many years you would understand that he has a great understanding of the game and writes unbiased articles. The Courier has won many awards for their support of Basketball over the years. I think you will find the problem is getting information from other clubs as he can't be at all games, as mentioned Forrestville do a great job. Maybe other clubs should look at doing similar.

Reply #278760 | Report this post

Tilly  
Years ago

Absolutely no slur on the writer of the articles intended just amazed they outshine and out-number the official write ups. I disagree with Isaac because most viewer would see the reviews as part of BSA's role and wouldn't think to write their own. Surely if BSA give permission for this they should notify the clubs telling them the same thing is open to them for the perception of equity.
I think the ABA site is very unreliable from live stats to posted results and I'm not sure whose fault that is but it's rare that all results are in on time if at all and no one seems to take responsibility for it. Are clubs fined for not getting results and stats in by a certain time or is it more casual than that?How can you post round leaders and reviews for a round when you don't have all the round's results?

Reply #278761 | Report this post

hrm  
Years ago

I didn't apply for the CABL Media Coordinator position as a/ I didn't see it advertised and b/ highly unlikely it would have paid enough.

Reply #278764 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Advertiser (30ish% of which is comprised of material driven by PR/publicity companies) doesn't notify any/all PR companies that they accept media releases. Instead, the PR companies work hard to push their clients above others. Nothing stopping clubs from offering free content and I don't know why they'd ever assume it wasn't worth a quick question to find out either.

Reply #278765 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

NO IDEA - try offering some substance in your criticism. Banker may have been blunt with his first assessment, but had put up a bit more info with another post soon after.

Reply #278766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So because it doesnt pay u enough, you can get stuck into David Tonks?

Reply #278770 | Report this post

Tilly  
Years ago

Can David explain why the stats for two teams are still not up?

Reply #278864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stats has nothing to do with David

Reply #278882 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:20 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754