Anon
Years ago

Classics Update - U12/14/16 teams to watch?

Who are the u/12, 14 and 16 boys teams to watch for in the classics? Any thoughts

Topic #23076 | Report this topic

The Banker  
Years ago

Forestville Under 14 boys

Reply #278738 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Really. How did they go at the Eltham/Dandenong tournament. I think Sturt finished in the top 8 but did not know if any other SA team did well at that age group?

Reply #278741 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

Dont think they went to eltham/dandenong.

Strong group of four teams from the boys with Mavs/Sturt/Forestville/Norwood all going and have a good chance of competing with the vic teams.

Forestville is my pick to suprise everyone at the classics

Reply #278742 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Looking at results, Sturt are clearly the stand outs in the 14 boys.

Reply #278802 | Report this post

Vic '10  
Years ago

Melb Tigers girls should clean up 12s / 14s / 16s but probably not 18s. All bottom age in 18s Tigers. Tough group though and should give it a good shot.

Reply #278808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knox, Bulleen and Diamond Valley have a show in the 14 girls as their games have been close with Diamond Valley beating Knox by a basket, Knox beating Melbourne by 12, Knox beating Bulleen easily, Melbourne beating Diamond Valley by 5 and Bulleen beating Diamond Valley by 6.

Very tight and throw in the interstate kids and their could be some surprises

Reply #278887 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

14 Boys - Melbourne, Geelong, Diamond Valley, Sturt will all be up there.

Reply #278904 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

West have only one side in classics this year, girls U14 - good team but can west develope these players into the future and turn them into the players they have potential to be or even hang onto them as a group. This has been an issue for them in the past? Thoughts

Reply #278916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

u/12 Altona girls & boys both have great teams and doing fantasic in VC. Dont count them out!! Look out you could be surprised.

Reply #278933 | Report this post

metro maidens  
Years ago

U/18 Girls will be vic dominated...No Sturt? My tip Dandenong (State team) to beat Knox or Bulleen (timms influence immense)

Reply #278942 | Report this post

';'  
Years ago

Actually West have 2 teams including 12 girls. I am guessing you are not even from West and are stirring shit!

Reply #278951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tough pool with DV, Sturt & Sandringham in the U14 boys. All very good teams.

Reply #279009 | Report this post

eric  
Years ago

melbourne tigers u16 boys have some strong players

Reply #279141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knox U16 boys have pulled out. Anybody know why?

Reply #279145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After the first round of matches what are the rules ?

Is the winner of pool 1 crossing over with 2nd place in pool 2 ? - where can you see the format for the tournament ?

Reply #279149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knox 16 boys out ???? - is this the fact or just a pre classics facebook conversation ?

Hard to believe one of the best teams would not turn up ....

Reply #279152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fact. Pools have been redrawn. My club got notified today.

Anybody got a reason?

Reply #279153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There will be plenty of good teams in the Under 16 boys.... Sturt likely to perform very well and also high expectations of Forestville going up against a great group of Vic teams including Knox , Werribee , Keilor , Melbourne , Diamond Valley - plus there are a few other VIC and NSW teams that could deliver a big surprise on the week-end.

Reply #279154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knox 16 boys - reason seems to be injuries to key players

Reply #279157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Key players? Why wouldn't you play with the rest of your kids, and give your bench a run? They have 2 teams in VC, couldnt they get some players to fill in?

The 16 boys field is wide open, any number of teams could win it.

Reply #279159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Under 16 boys Knox have plenty of good players so a surprise -.............

Redraw is giving Forestville and Sturt easier matches on Saturday so looking good for SA

Reply #279161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #279165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Knox U16 boys pulled out due to some injuries then that is a disgrace.

What about the remainder of the team - they miss out!

What about bringing in some one and at least use this as an experience for the group!

Do they have a history of forfeiting weekly games if they have an injury.

What message is this sending to the rest of their playing group.

Reply #279166 | Report this post

There must be more to the Knox story than injuries........... but that is the message around Melbourne at the moment.

Reply #279167 | Report this post

RoboCop  
Years ago

Hawthorn are strong at under 12 boys and girls this year.. could give it a shot!

In the 12 girls Altona have a maori monster and Melb Tigers should challenge them for the title.Hawthorn and Kilysth look the next two strong vic teams.

12 boys Hawthorn and Bulleen seem to be the stand outs. Hawthorn are undefeated but Tom Maher's bulleen are probably the favourites though. Knox are weak this year at 12 boys. Dandeonong have Jock Perry ex nbl Darren perry's son. He can play!!

14 boys watch the Tigers 1st team. They are very good!

Reply #279172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very poor effort by Knox, not giving some other kids a chance to play the tournament.

The redraw has worked out beautifully for Forestville, losing Werribee, who i think will win it, and keeping Sutherland, who are by far the worst NSW team based on results so far. It's probably gotten harder for Sturt though, who gain Diamond Valley (who I "think" won Eltham). Either way, should be a very tight tournament.

Reply #279199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can Forestville Under 16 boys beat Melbourne ?

Reply #279207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes they can - I think Melbourne would be favourites, but Forestville could beat them on a good day.
Forestville should easily win the other two games though, and go through to top 8 (probably with a 2-1 record).

Reply #279246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't go as far as suggesting, "Forestville should easily win the other two games." They may well qualify and good luck to them but lets be honest, Sturt smacked the hell out of them in the SA Champs final, and Sturt haven't even beaten any Victorian team of good quality. The NSW teams haven only played themselves so that's difficult to factor into the equation at all.

Sturt clearly the best SA team, with Forestville easily 2nd there.

Sutherland currently 5th in NSW, so not setting the world on fire but it is a tournament and anything can happen.

Victoria is too open to call. Everyone seems to be beating everyone... Except for Knox & Werribee at this stage. Since their league split into its super conference though only 1 round has been played, with some more interesting results.

The Classic is an open race, with so many top quality teams arriving first thing Saturday morning. Should be a ripper of a weekend.

Reply #279259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The truth is the Victorian teams will dominate this age group, Sturt have never actually done well at any interstate tournaments with this team since they came together in U12. Big Fish in a small pond. As far as Forestville, completely dilusional.

Reply #279260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure Anon the VIC's will dominate .....

...will be great to see Diamond Valley play Sturt with both teams having 4 state players and remember Eagles have 3 in their team which only Werribee also have ! Some of the otherVIC teams are so up or down on the day so why not Sturt and Eagles for the top 8 ?

Reply #279264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree that Sturt beat Forestville at State Champs well, but Forestville have a far better draw, and in these tournaments that plays a huge part. Sutherland are the worst NSW team, and Nunawading are only average (5-4). They should win those two.

Sturt beat Wayverly at Easter, who I think are quality, but lost to Dandenong, who are not great. Certainly mixed form there. But in that pool will find it tough. Norwood too (who are vastly improved and not easily behind Forestville as the above poster suggests IMO) have a tough pool.

I think the best 5 teams there are all Victorian - Werribee, Diamond Valley, Keilor, Melbourne and Bulleen. Manly might sneak past Wayverly to get through, plus a team by default in pool A (who will finish 8th). Forestville should be aiming for (and get) that 2nd spot in thier pool. Good luck to Sturt, Forestville, Norwood and Southern this weekend!

Reply #279265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4 Vic Metro state players do not equal 4 SA Metro players first comment. Sturt won in adelaide not Melbourne, and I still am yet to be proven wrong this sturt group is yet to fire a shot in Victoria. Time for them is running out.

Reply #279267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't say any of the Victorian contigent is avergage... Some perhaps inconsistant to date but not average. Melbourne beat Diamond Valley but lose to Nunawading, who in turn get smacked by Diamond Valley.

Where as NSW looks to be a little clearer, manly defensively stopping teams... Sydney just beating teams with a barrage of points each week.

In SA, Sturt just took care of business each game. Forestville did the same and quite simply got smacked in the final.

Reply #279270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With Knox out Werribee is clearly the top team and Forestville is lucky they are not in their pool now .

Waverley had a draw against Bulleen last week so clearly Sturt can beat Bulleen this week-end and is it too much to assume that Eagles can win their pool now without Werribee ? - if so then it could be an Eagles - Sturt cross over match on Sunday !

GO SA !

Reply #279272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, don't assume anything! Tournaments are funny things.

Reply #279274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

C'mon now. The #1 ranked SA can't even beat the #13 ranked Vic team... Where's the logic in any of the thinking above?

Reply #279276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what?
Wayverly are ranked 7th?
They beat them by a fair bit.

They are playing two teams ranked above that though, and I think it's the toughest pool. That pool will be a struggle.

Certainly think the best 5 teams are all Victorian though.

Reply #279288 | Report this post

Granymeade  
Years ago

Do Forestville players know when to shut up?

We're going to win State Champs!

Forestville will be over Champion Club!

We're going to step up come classics!

Just another delusional Forestville person.

Your nothing but Sturt's ugly cousins.

Reply #279289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I LOVE THE WAY THAT THOSE WHO ARE NOT QUALIFIED TO MAKE COMMENTS ON OTHER STATES CAN'T STOP AND THINK.

IF IT IS THE SAME FORRESTVILLE TEAM FROM UNDER 14'S YOU HAVE GOT A MASSIVE PROBLEM.

FOR THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.
KNOX GOT FOUR OUT INJURED,COACH DOES NOT WANT TO RISK INJURING WHAT HE HAS LEFT BY RUNNING THEM INTO THE FLOOR.3 OF THEIR BEST PLAYERS ARE NOT INJURED.AND FOR THE RECORD THEY HAVE NEVER PULLED OUT OF A CLASSIC.

LOOK WHO IS ON TOP OF THE LADDER TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IS IT KNOX IS IT WERRIBBEE IS IT DIAMONDVALLEY,SO REALLY NONE OF YOU OTHER STATES HAVE ANY IDEA ABOUT ANYTHING.AS FOR MELBOURNE????GREAT KIDS,BUT WHO BET THEM DURING THE SEASON?????LOOK UP THE HISTORY...............SO I SUGGEST YOU JUST SHUT UP AND DO YOUR TALKING ON GAME DAY.
GOOD LUCK STURT ALWAYS A PLEASURE TO PLAY.

Reply #279296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

UGLY COUSINS THAT I LIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #279298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so did Knox pull out or not. Post above says they have never pulled out so I have no idea what you are saying or what is happening

Reply #279301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville are not sturt cousins thats a joke, I reckon its Eastern Mavericks ex. Sturt players everywhere that live outside metro area, and the list looks to be growing.

Hampton
Warhurst
Wilson
Biggs
Knight
Kelton
Penno

Reply #279302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And lets not forget the mens ABA coaches.

Reply #279303 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Can anyone tell me about the 12 and 14 boys. I have heard enough about the 16s

Reply #279309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

12 boys = Melbourne
14 boys = Geelong!!!!!!!!!

Reply #279310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knox not the only team to have injuries, DV, W'Bee and Keilor all have injuries. DV missing 2 bigs for the past 3 weeks and another fwd last week, W'Bee missing big and 1 guard is injured, Keilor guard injured.

No one wins finals in June boys. My tip,

Melbourne to beat all commers

Reply #279314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good luck to melbourne.

knox pulled out and replaced cant you read!!the vjbl site has the draw

forestville are not ugly counsins,you are ugly sisters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!play like girls

regarding injury,you are all going to feel injured once we have finished with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

go melbourne.....................

Reply #279319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about the 18's

Reply #279325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KNOX GOT FOUR OUT INJURED,COACH DOES NOT WANT TO RISK INJURING WHAT HE HAS LEFT BY RUNNING THEM INTO THE FLOOR.3 OF THEIR BEST PLAYERS ARE NOT INJURED.AND FOR THE RECORD THEY HAVE NEVER PULLED OUT OF A CLASSIC.

Incorrect, they've pullled out of a Classic this week! They were in the draw as of Monday. Tuesday they were out, a redraw sent with a note saying Knox withdrew. Four out? So what! You bring others up, and give them the chance to play at a higher level. You may not win it, but the experience will be invaluable to those players. Poor form.

Reply #279335 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Without knowing the full story, it certainly is disappointing that Knox withdrew, as traditionally they are one fo the stronger teams.

Knox also have exceptional depth, and surely one would think they would have promoted a few players to gain experience in playing at the Classic at the very least instead of withdrawing.

Reply #279339 | Report this post

Eastern Melb  
Years ago

The effect of promotin g players then dis advantages 3 other teams.Knox currently have 4 U/16 Boys teams all are playing tournaments this weekend.If Players were promoted is it fair to the other teams?

Reply #279387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please... Nunawading or other 2nd rate tournaments for lower teams should not take precedence over giving players the oppurtunity to play at the best club tournament in the country.
Knox have 2 teams in VC, so have depth, I'm sure these players would only be better off having the experience of being exposed to this level of basketball.

But I guess juggling a few other players around Nunadwading teams was not worth the effort...

Reply #279389 | Report this post

Eastern Melb  
Years ago

Thats a way but what about the players you leave in the 2 team.A lot of these players are alredy dissapointed about not being in the first team and would feel no need to help anyone.I personally would rather play in the team im in ,than make up numbers for another team

Reply #279403 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Sturt's ugly cousin?

That's a big call, I mean how many six fingered banjo players do you see at Wayville?

Reply #279407 | Report this post

no  
Years ago

re Sturts current 16s group not firing a shot in Melb... They medalled U12 classics.

Reply #279408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AND FOR THE RECORD THEY HAVE NEVER PULLED OUT OF A CLASSIC.

sorry my mistake there.i thought i had read above that they had done this before!!!!in years gone by.that is what i was referring too!sorry for misunderstnding.

HEY GOOD LUCK TO ALL TEAMS PLAYING.KNOOX MISS OUT ON PLAYING THE BEST TEAMS IN AUSTRALIA.

GO MELB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #279410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Under 18 looks like being all about Melbourne or Dandenong.

What is the chance for Sturt , Norwood or Eastern to make an upset ?

Reply #279411 | Report this post

hydra 20  
Years ago

dandy 18 girls to win by a country mile,nuna under 16 girls to win both very strong teams and very well coached.

Reply #279414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hydra whats your tip as a country mile?..and who will they beat in final?

Reply #279427 | Report this post

hydra  
Years ago

18 girls ,dandy will play bullen in a good game ,in which there are a lot of very good teams wanting for the final.

Reply #279462 | Report this post

man of the moment  
Years ago

sturt boys to be the best of the 18 boys by a mile from sa, then the rest will just be making up numbers down the bottom end

Reply #279467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bulleen record looks good apart from last week result against Knox going down by 24.They may have had players out that week though....Aus squad ?...not sure...

Reply #279474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha
Bulleen's u18 girls team doesn't have anyone close to being in the AUS squad. That being said, they're still the best TEAM there. With Timms as a coach, they've got more heart then Dand-stateteam-enong.

Reply #279491 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

14 Boys
The prediction for Forestville to do well will not eventuate. Just beaten by Melb 1 team by 60+ points.

Diamond Valley went down to Sandringham and Know down to Blackburn.

Sturt look to be the only SA team which can compete with the Vics although they are have not played the tougher teams yet!

Reply #279493 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Knox 18 girls spanked Dandenong by just under 30 at classic while using a lot of the bench. Sorry but a lot of over rating in this team. Beat Bulleen last week with Bulleen having no injuries. Good coach, just outplayed. Early days but at this stage Knox traveling well as is Bulleen in girls 16s.

Reply #279497 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Top 8 in 14s boys decided
Eastern and Sturt from SA
Hills Hornets from NSW
5 Vic teams Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2, Geelong, Blackburn and Sandringham

After tomorrow there will only be one SA team battling out the semis given Sturt and Eastern face each other in the qualifying final. Hills Hornets play Melbourne 1 and will have to play well if there is going to be another state challenge the Vics

Reply #279502 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

And then there were 4!!!
14 Boys results
Semis to be
Melbourne 1 v Sturt
Melbourne v Geelong

Reply #279506 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Under 16 Boys looks very different to all of the predictons. No SA teams at all in top 4. Instead Bulleen, Melbourne, Keilor and Manly!

Reply #279507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dandenong (will win by a mile) u/18 girls knocked out of classic by melbourne
Semis: Knox vs Norwood
Bulleen vs Melbourne

Reply #279510 | Report this post

eric  
Years ago

the final of the U16 national classic is Manly VS melbounre

MANLY????? where did they come from

melbourne had a good win over keilor with some big shots from one of there forwards

good luck melbbb!!!

Reply #279514 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Under 14 boys is Melbourne 1 versus Melbourne 2 for the grand final.

Melb 1 beat Sturt by over 30 points whilst their second team took out Geelong!

Melbourne must be doing something right to have 12, 14 and 16 boys all in the final - and a guaranteed win in 14 boys.

Reply #279515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt U12 boys playing in the GF!
Well done, good luck.

Reply #279516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's called recruiting !!!

Reply #279519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

510:Confirming all the talk about wrong girls continually selected and under performing when it counts. Maybe time for an overhaul in a few states or a clean out of long term selector gurus who pick on and off the grapevine.

Reply #279520 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Selectors will never get it right becasue selection requires making choices and these will never be unanimous. Whilst I think nepatism does exist in all aspects of sport, I am not sure replacing anyone with someone else will reduce this!

Reply #279523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Recruting!!!
Under 12s is the entry point to Rep in Victoria so how are Melbourne any different to any other team? Clearly their coaching/development program at this level is sound as they have now been in the g/f twice in the last three years.

Under 14s have both of their teams in the final with 9 players the same as those who played won under 12s two years ago. Again I would suggest these kids have continued to be developed otherwise they would not be here (as with the exception of Geelong, the other top 4 from 2008 are nowhere to be seen this year)!

On recruitment, you can not make people go to a club. People usually seek out a club due to reputation or coaching. Clearly if Melbourne have new players (and I believe there are 2 in the first team and 3 in the second team), these players have chosen the the club to further develop themselves. Thus they made a conscious choice that they thought it was a better environment. All clubs have open trials and accept new kids, good kids will if not being developed seek good clubs (program and coaches). So lets stop the old recruitment arguement. Tired of hearing about Sturt, Norwood, Melbourne all recruiting.

These clubs have a reputation for developing players. They clearly have expereinced coaches and a program that is working (like it or not, the facts speak for themselves - Sturt only SA team making impact in Victoria and Melbourne boys and girls doing well). Also anyone who has been in a successful and competative club will know that the coaches make the club. Coaches of good teams need to be good to manage all of the egos (particulalry the parents who all believe their "little johnny" is the best thing in town!! Listening to some parents over this weekend, there were a few in these top teams (Sturt, Hill Hornets and Melbourne). The ugly parent syndrome is alive and well in succesful teams. If you could take the parents myopic view and total focus on their own child out of the game, I think a lot of these teams would do even better!! Coaches must have one hell of a job managing this part of the game, which clearly has nothing to do with why they coach!!!!

Finally, if you want to match these succesful clubs, seek to aspire beyond what they are doing, if you dont be happy with where you are and stop complaining or putting others down. At the end of the day it is just kids sport!

Reply #279524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We will see in a few years when these " wonder kids " get recruited over and watch those ugly parents go nuts and turn into U/16, U/18 uglier parents

Good on anyone who is developing kids, just beware giving these kids a mind set that they are unbelievably good as you are seeing in 16's and 18's kids / parents of these fantastic kids now believe it is their birth right to decide who plays, who is allowed to win and go to extreme measures to ensure their teams win or at least they ( Parents ) are heard as witnessed yesterday in some games.

God help anyone coaching these super kids when they get older,

Reply #279525 | Report this post

Mimas 36  
Years ago

Hey Banker,

Thanks for coming on here and showing everyone how good Forestville people are at woofing.

If playing of last and 13th and 14th in your glory teams is making an impact then I'm a Lama.

As per usual, Forestville, arogance of Sturt, results of Forestville.

Reply #279527 | Report this post

Astor  
Years ago

The problem that I have with the Tigers program is that there isn't really much 'development' happening there at all in earlier years. What I mean by this, is that Melbourne's domestic club affiliate (Marcellin, which I call an affiliate only very loosely..) is not the place that Melbourne looks towards for development of future generations.

Clubs like Knox, Dandenong, Nunawading, Eltham and Bulleen all rely utterly on the development of kids in the U8/9/10 age group in domestic competition to form the basis for their U12 friday night teams. You're looking at a max of 1 to 2 players per team that have not come through the clubs own junior domestic program.

Melbourne does not *have* a real program to develop kids for rep basketball. I won't stop calling them out for their dubious recruiting history until they form some sort of real pathway to develop their own talent.

Reply #279533 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Agree with the last post to some extent. Melbourne does not boast their own junior competition and hence do not have a real development program. All their players essentially come from everywhere else. However for players to flock to them, they must be doing something right that other associations where this players come from originally are not able to retain them.

Reply #279534 | Report this post

anon2  
Years ago

Parents take their kids to Melbourne because of the name "Melbourne Tigers" They think by taking their little "superstars" there, they will end up playing NBL. Most of the time it ends up in tears when in u/16 & u/18 recruitment of players from other teams take their place.Parents need to get over themselves and let their kids play local with their friends.

Reply #279535 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Valid points but can any rep club claim the development of juniors prior to under 12. Certainly the club we play domestic with does little to develop any kids. You are either lucky and get someone who knows basketball and can teach the kids how to play or you get an enthusiastic parent who tries their best. Either way the real development at rep level does not start prior to under 12s. Thus for those that choose to start at Melbourne good luck.

As for the ugly parents. Anon is so right they only get ugglier and yes many do think it is their right to have their kids be super stars. Let the kids play and have fun, life is far too short!

Reply #279536 | Report this post

SS  
Years ago

Great results again for Sturt.

12 Boys 2nd.
14 and 18 Boys 4th.

Reply #279537 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

To add on
Melb girls do have a junior program before under 12s and the boys, they need their own stadium so they can develop a junior program! Can anyone help them find one!!!

Reply #279538 | Report this post

Astor  
Years ago

"can any rep club claim the development of juniors prior to under 12"
Absolutely. Many clubs in Victoria have 'feeder' programs that involve getting bottom-bottom aged players competing together in domestic teams and training with the rep sides on the weekend. Melbourne is not one of them.

Reply #279540 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Actually, Melbourne Girls do offer a Tiny Tigers training programme for kids before they start playing for the Tigers. Boys and girls can start training from around 5 years of age. I have 2 daughters that are doing exactly that and learning a lot while having a great time with fantastic coaches. They have been offered the opportunity to play domestic with the other Tiny Tigers but are already playing domestic somewhere else.

Reply #279542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There 12 Girls team that won the classic today have all been together for 4 years.

Reply #279545 | Report this post

mike  
Years ago

I play for the melbourne tigers and i personally know that they offer training programs with great coaches to develop there kids and alot of the kids doing these programs are either below U12 level or U12 , U14 or U16

Reply #279553 | Report this post

Vic '10  
Years ago

As I said two weeks ago Melb Tigers girls would be up in the mix. Grandfinals for 12s /14s /16s /and the scrappy 18's.
Two wins pretty good.
18s a complete surprise.... took down mighty Dande girls and folowed up with Timmsy's group.
Great effort for this bottom age group. Tough group of girls who seem to never lay down. Not always pretty to watch though.

Reply #279555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne tiger teams don't endear themselves to many with their behaviour on and off court

Reply #279564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In U12 Boys did Sturt's development program deliver better results than Norwood's recruitment program!!

Reply #279570 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

1 saucer of milk to anon 570 please, extra sour

Reply #279592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sour milk never tasted so sweet!!

Reply #279604 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Sturt did ok in boys 3 top 4 finishes a good effort. How for the life of me can a team lose 2 games (Mavs)and finish tenth and a team lose 3 games (sturt) in the same comp and finish 4th. - 18 Boys. I don't quite understand how these things work. Looks from results most other SA teams struggled to make top 10 finishes - I presume that is a population thing ?

Reply #279615 | Report this post

Mondialli  
Years ago

279570, Recruiting/poaching/sapping is a part of the Norwood culture and a few other clubs.

Any rumour or even thought of a player moving across to these clubs is rapidly followed up on and players promised the world but rarely the world is delivered.

The end result is the player is damaged, the team they move to is damaged and the team they leave is damaged. Poaching is more about the over inflated egos of the parents, officials and coaches involved without any consideration of the kids whose egos they inflate, the kids who get poached over or the teams the kids leave.

Take some responsibility for introducing kids to the game and show some patience and fortitude in taking that kid and developing them over a number of years.
Then you get the truly great results which brings me to say WELL DONE STURT U12 BOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #279618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood is not our nearest club, but we were directed there by SACB.

Reply #279622 | Report this post

callisto  
Years ago

Norwood u12 Boys won state Champs. Sturt didn't. Strt had success at Classics. Norwood didn't.

Well done to both clubs on their respective successes in the last month or so.
These are 10 year old boys we are talking about. To all the anonymous snipers having a go on here, GROW UP!! Let the boys play ball and stop carrying on.

Reply #279639 | Report this post

lo97  
Years ago

The funny part is that Sturt are as guilty as any other club, yet because they have success, they seem to get away with it.

For example, at u18 boys level, the past two years at least one of their starters is from elsewhere (one from West last year, one from Centrals this year). Would be pretty similar to other clubs I'd reckon.

Somebody care to explain the difference?

Reply #279640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Having 1 player and 4 players is quite different.

Reply #279643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol97 - I think the issue is not the odd one each year!

622 - I think I know what you are saying and if so that is a huge conflict of interest that needs addressing by BSA

Callisto - I haven't read anything about anyone having a go at the kids just the two different approaches of putting a good team together and the relative merits of each to both the club and to basketball generally. If you go back over this season and summer season Sturt have been getting closer and closer and ended up in front at the classics. I think many are saying this vindicates this approach to putting a team together and continually improving. I have my views on who will be our best chance at the nationals in 2 years time but will refrain from saying as it is hypothetical and may be seen as having a go at a group of kids.

Reply #279645 | Report this post

Bronze Medal  
Years ago

Eagles U12 Girls finished 3rd in a fantastic effort..

Well done girls..

Reply #279648 | Report this post

Mondialli  
Years ago

I think you will find that Sturt in most cases actively discourage kids from transferring to their club. They encourage the players to contact their current club first to try and sort through any issues. They typically contact the other club themselves to highlight they have been approached. If the kid still decides to move over then Sturt has the ability to deliver, they work hard for their kids.

Other clubs directly approach players - yes this happens. Parents with involvement in the clubs approach players, coaches sometimes do it. Then they promise the world and don't deliver.

Sturt have people with the skillsets, experience and understanding to work with kids and other clubs to get the best outcome for all. The same cannot be said for some other clubs. They recruit, see an opportunity for a short cut and in time burn kids.

Reply #279666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While Mr Gliddon remains in his present position and has the relationship with Sturt it will continue to thrive and have an unfair advantage.

Reply #279669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon,

I think you will find that more SASI players from Sturt have left Sturt and moved to other clubs than SASI players from other clubs have moved to Sturt.

Claiming an unfair advantage shows that you don't have any understanding of why people move.

It is usually those people who want to get better and aren't happy that move to Sturt.

Reply #279670 | Report this post

Pallas 78  
Years ago

Another lets bash Sturt and NG!!! Sooooo predictable. By the way have you asked those two players that came from West and Centrals to Sturt U18 boys why they did so. You sad grizzlers out there would do well to take the time and ask these boys you might learn something! or not

Reply #279675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

because they were asked maybe? BSA is just treading water and will eventually drown because it refuses to lead, just follow.

Reply #279677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

or because they were unhappy maybe.

Ask the current U18 State coach who is from South and was there when one of the players made the first approach.

Or better still, ask the Centrals Coaching Director about how it was handled.

Reply #279680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some more boys are coming to Sturt for under 18 next year - not happy with the coach they are going to get in their current club..... Reputation and perception , even if they are not build on facts , seems to influence some to go instead of working it out ... what a waste of all the good work having gone into building up some good teams with these players .

Reply #279684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am not sure what club you are talking about but generally it is all too easy to shift clubs when you don't like something. I think this teaches bad life skills - run away from working out problems. All efforts put in by a club to get players to a certain level is all ignored and not appreciated.

Reply #279686 | Report this post

ju  
Years ago

ignored and not appreciated by the club creating the problem?

Reply #279687 | Report this post

ceres 84  
Years ago

Allow me to explain this to all of you who don't get it:

Apparently when players go to Sturt it is because "they are unhappy with their current club".

BUT

When players go to other clubs, it is called recruiting.

Do we all understand now?

Reply #279690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ju

I hardly think ignored if by U18 they are good enough to be accepted by Sturt. If there was no development going on at the existing club then why are they good enough to move?

Reply #279693 | Report this post

ju  
Years ago

missed my point. if they were good enough to keep, why let a problem develop that might push them away? player might take the easy road in not working through a problem, but a club may take the lazy road in not doing enough to prevent that problem or sort it out quickly

Reply #279699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt do more harm than good to South Australian basketball by engineering their teams through clever approaches to players that could not be termed general well being calls.
It is in no one's interest to allow super clubs to develop yet it seems BSA will blind eye it all until it saves enough money for artificial testicles.
Individual teams will compete well from time to time on the bigger stage but until change occurs from SASI through to zones, clubs like these will dominate because what you don't see you don't fix.
District comp is wasted space with rubbish margins more times than not and country centres that have long been associated with certain district clubs have a scratch my back arrangement with them.
Everyone talks about making the comp better but it's not in the interest of certain people and clubs to want this and they give it lip service only. Where is the radical new direction from BSA that was going to drag basketball forward?

Reply #279702 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I can't get over how many threads end up being all about everyone vs Sturt!

Time to build a bridge methinks...

Reply #279703 | Report this post

Granymeade 44  
Years ago

LC,

Is it that hard to understand the tall poppy syndrome.

If you keep getting beaten by someone working harder and smarter than you, creating a better enviroment. Rather than compete, surely you should just change the rules so nobody can compete.

Reply #279705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Parents drag their kids from clubs for a lot of reasons. The big one is politics when some coaches play favourites in team selection as well as court rotations.

Example needed?
One team made exclusively of one private school, the second team was kids not necessarily at that school. One kid without any experience straight into that team. The second team would regularly beat the first team in competitive drills. Gee, that first team didn't win a game in their season, wonder why?

Reply #279706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the 2nd team won all their games???

Reply #279707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They made finals

Reply #279708 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

"Some more boys are coming to Sturt for under 18 next year - not happy with the coach they are going to get in their current club..... Reputation and perception , even if they are not build on facts , seems to influence some to go instead of working it out ... what a waste of all the good work having gone into building up some good teams with these players"

If you are certain of your facts you must be from the club in question, if they dont like the coach they are getting they should bring it up with the Club, they are currently at. They may get a sad shock about what team they are in if they go to Sturt, expecting to play Div 1 may not eventuate. My observation would be that they sort it out with the Club they are currently in.

Reply #279709 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

PS and if they do move - let everyone on here know which club they moved from so they can all take their boys to that club to play Div 1!!

Reply #279712 | Report this post

Mimas 15  
Years ago

Anon,

If they have already brought it up with the club and the club has told them, bad luck.

What do they do next?

Reply #279719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha good to see anonymous 279702 on for his monthly anti-sturt zoning agenda. At least he left out the Forestville/country rubbish this time. Now if only "Messenger" would come on to own him again like he did in the state champs thread!

Oh, and no-one mention smaller Victorian clubs thriving like McKinnon or Blackburn, you will go deaf from the silence!

Oh, and as for the "clever approaches through well being calls".... he never provides any actual EVIDENCE. Long may the propoganda be spread!!!

Reply #279720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

720 - will a signed Stat Dec suffice???

Attraction and retention of players into basketball is a major issue in my mind. I am seeing good athletes leave the sport as a result of friends chasing glory at other clubs and they are becoming disenchanted with the game as no matter how hard they work they know they will never win when players keep leaving for perceived better opportunities at other clubs or in other sports.

He sits back and knows how good they would be if other ex team mates didn't pursue the easy way out. He has said he is finishing up at the end of the year, making his current team even weaker and another child lost to basketball.

Reply #279722 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Mimas 15 - If it is only perception about the coach in question and the player hasnt actually had the coach - the family may be doing everyone involved a disservice. One of my lads coaches had a "reputation" as well, but turned out to be the best coach he has had so far in issuing discipline to the team and getting results and developing his players. The player should at least give the coach the summer season to prove himself - you never know he may end up having the same experience as my son. And the "grass is not always greener" and there are never any guarantees, I am sure there are a number of kids that could say they were promised this and that at certain clubs but it was never delivered.

Reply #279723 | Report this post

Mimas 15  
Years ago

And if he has already had the coach for an entire year?

Reply #279736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem is all the parents think their child will play NBA/WNBA.
The problem is the parents, not the Clubs.
This competition is the elite junior comp for SA.
What a load of bullshit, any one that pays fees can play in it.
The sooner we seperate the children with real potential from the rest, nothing will change.
I think that is what Sturt does, if the rest adopted similar policy, things will change.
Until then every parent who's dream (note: not the childs) to push their child up regardless of natural talent will push the child to what they percieve as the best opportunity

Reply #279737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So in your imaginary story a player is leaving, where is the "general well-being" approaches from Sturt? Did you forget to put that into your fabrication?

As for "perceived" better oppurtunities - perhaps they are simply leaving for a better service. After all, they are paying (a lot) for this service, and if they are not happy with their current club, under your ideals, perhaps THEY would be leaving the sport instead.

Reply #279741 | Report this post

Mimas 15  
Years ago

They are leaving the sport. We have less players now then 5 years ago even though Magic and their 24 teams weren't around then. And considerably less than the mid 90s, when we were turning people away.

Reply #279744 | Report this post

';'  
Years ago

EVERY SOUTH AUSTRALIAN Club has poached one time ot another .A pointless discussion again.

Reply #279761 | Report this post

Robocop  
Years ago

Melbourne recruit rather than develop.

Melbourne under 12 boys and under 14 boys are made up of kids poached from other clubs.

Melb 12 boys had 3 boys from our area that should have been playing with us...if we had them we would have won it.

Melbourne under 14 boys are paying 3 kids petrol money to commute from sunbury, sandringham and somewhere else far away. The reason melbourne 2 made the classic final in 14s is because the kids that should have made 1s were pushed into the 2s by these boys who were specifically recruited for the 1s.

Melbourne have no development and only care about the 1s. They recruit players from other clubs to field their first team and many players who play in the 1s at 12s and 14s are nowhere to be seen at under 16 and 18s.

Reply #279905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Couldn't agree more with Robocop.

Two years ago Melbourne Tigers U-12 Boys won the Classic and finished 2nd in VC.

This year only 3 of the players from that side made their U-14 1st Boys team. The other 7 players who are in their U-14 1st team were not with Tigers in U-12s.

Their 2nd side made the final because it is predominately the same side that was very strong in U-12s.

Reply #279951 | Report this post

SSS  
Years ago

I thought only dandenong "ate their young"...

Reply #280029 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:33 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754