Jack Toft
Years ago

R11 ABL Action

Hopefully no Forestville bias in this ABA Writeup, but I am sure the acerpic comments will flow from those poison keyboards. Ahh, let the honky tonk music play.....

Rockets-Tigers @ Hillcrest
M: Just when you give a team the kiss of death, they feast on a carcass and move to 4th. Rockets are 6 and 0 on the road - unbelieveable! They should grab a win over the mighty Tigers, but I still reckon the sun is setting…..Pero will be on a tiger hunt and should dine well.
W: Don't write the Tigeresses off just yet. There’s a logjam from 5 to 8 and with 3 wins on the trot they should go into the game expecting to get a win. Rockettes hung onto 5th last week with a win and this should be the GOTR for the women’s draw. I expect a tight contest with the arm wrestle going down to free shots in the final quarter. If playing, Jo Hill will be the key. Averaging 13 points and 12 rebounds per game, if she can be tamed, Tigers to win, if she brings a chair and a whip, she’ll be the Tiger Tamer.

Flames-Lions @ Mars
M: This Lions team offerred so much at the start of the season, yet has underperformed. Season over for them and like the Socceroos in South Afrika, the Flames will be having a Lion BBQ Saturday night.
W: Not a matter of who, but how much. Lionesses have improved last couple of games, but this is a bit like Yr 12 Norwood High vs Yr 8 Fremont High.

Sabres-Panthers @ Pasadena
M: Sabres could afford to have Jacob playing with high left arm tied behind his back and still grab a win. Things could get a little messy and the best spot to watch the massacre is behind the glass perched on a barstool at the Sturt Bar. Sabres by lots tonight.
W: Panthers one win out of the 5 and face Sturt who are cruising nicely at the top of the table. If there is a time for an upset win to keep your finals hopes alive and show everyone you're a threat, this is it. A loss to Sturt means a drop to 2nd position – does anyone know a Sturt team that if comfortable being #2?

Bearcats-Mavs @ Port
M: Bearcats on a roll, Mavs knocking of the door of the top 5 sets the scene for a great game. Gotta love the Port. Scene of much devastation over the years and was formerly known as Port Misery. Mavs will know why as their finals hopes become miserable after Saturday night. Only thing that’ll save the Mavs is if the Westies boys have a dodgy egg and bacon roll pre-game.
W: Bearcats have been down some quality stars last couple of games. Lady Mavs have got more confidence this season than a 15 yo with a fake ID down Hindley Street. Every game will be a must win game for them from now on. If they are as good as they tell us, they will get a win.

Eagles-Warriors @ Wayville
M: Eagles have lost the last two and slipped to 5th. I don’t think they will drop three in a row. Too much pride at stake.
W: The only question to be answered after this game is how will the get all the blood off the Jason Dix court before the men’s game? Eagles by plenty and will be over by quarter time. Should Sturt get pipped by South, Eagles move to top of the table.

Topic #23081 | Report this topic

WTF  
Years ago

Here is a punters tip, lions will not win another game

Reply #278780 | Report this post

gen x chromosome  
Years ago

Nice write-up Jack, love (some of) your work.

Reply #278781 | Report this post

SS Tomatin  
Years ago

Rumours at St Vincent Street have the Bearcats Women using a Bastard file on their claws.They couldnt find elbow sharpeners at Officeworks(or Hillcrest and/or Ingrainville).Lisa Coleman will foul out and Trudy and Nikki will carve up the opposition.Hopefully Nairn will get more minutes, she had Eagles measure while on.
The Men have the deepest bench.There is height and pace whoever subs on.Curtis and Bond are angry(*) for more.Just remember its 3-2-1 stone,lime,cement when it comes to top of the ladder.
(*)not telling what I mean
NB: change of name. I was using another nick used before.This represents some history I have In Port Misery.

Reply #278784 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Thanks Gen X, life is too short not to have some fun along the way!

The Tomatin arrived from Greenock on 10/3/1840, someone's a wee bit Scottish then?

Reply #278789 | Report this post

titan 76  
Years ago

WTF why do you hate the lions so much? did whitmore cut you and end your basketball dreams or something?

Reply #278813 | Report this post

gen x chromosome  
Years ago

Gees dude, cut your paws there. Dude does a write-up off his own back and you drill him? No probs with some discussion, but tell him he's wrong and tell him why, we aren't yobbos at a foody match..?

GOOOO YOUUUUUUU DDDDDOGS!

Reply #278815 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

Rockets-Tigers @ Hillcrest
M: If the rockets play like they did last week there will be plenty of hope for North at the end of season. The duo of Pero and Zorich destroyed the mavericks and will do it again thus week at home against the Tigers, with help from Hambour and Burdon. Easy win to the rockets
W: Jo Hill will lead the rockets a win here but it will be hard work with the tigers always competitive but just unable to get over the line most weeks.
Flames-Lions @ Mars
M: The Norwood men's team is the best team going around at the current time until Sturt and the eagles pick up there game. This will be a massive win here for Norwood
W: Another team playing well is the Norwood women’s team as they look to continue with another win this weekend, Shouldn’t have much trouble casting the lions aside.
Sabres-Panthers @ Pasadena
M: Easy choice here and its Sturt to get a win. Look to see Jacob get plenty of rest and the Sturt junior will get plenty of court time and beat the panthers
W: There is no chance Sturt will loose the game when the chance of being in 2nd place is looming. It may not be a convincing victory but when that siren sounds on Saturday night the sabre will be winning.

Bearcats-Mavs @ Port
M: Mavs coming off a home loss to north which such a talent starting line up will struggle again. The bearcats will walk into this game with there heads held high and walk out that way too. The combo of Molitor and Davidson is working too cohesively for the mav’s to stop.
W: Tess and the mavericks will fight again this week but the end result will have the bearcats with yet another win and mavericks to make the long drive home. Its long drive for some from Port Adelaide to Murray Bridge!

Eagles-Warriors @ Wayville
M: Andy will have the biggest to test for the season so far for the eagles, they are in a slump and it’s up to Andy to get them out. I have no doubt Andy will do his job and the eagle will be soaring high on Saturday as they put the warriors back in its place.
W: The warriors will be walking into a massacre this Saturday night when the likes of Foley, Mahoney and Newley look to get another win and they will.

Reply #278855 | Report this post

mmm  
Years ago

SS Tomatin
Tell what this means (*) Im dying to know? when i saw them last at the north game both did well..........

Reply #278861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Banker, It's probably news to Foley that she's fronting up for the eagles Saturday............which bank?

Reply #278863 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

Well thats a type....

Too many jess' in the ABL comp

Thanks for picking that up it clearly is suppose to be Jess Fergus.

Reply #278867 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

"Well thats a type...."

Was that a "type" too?

Seriously tho - love your work.

Reply #278877 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

Their is a reason why i work with numbers and not words,

I failed english back in my school days!

Reply #278880 | Report this post

Ralph Wiggum  
Years ago

Me fail English? Thats unpossible!

Reply #278890 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

SS Tomatin it would be nice to see a few of the youngsters around the league getting more minutes - not just Nairn. There are several perennial state players and SASI members warming the bench year after year.

Reply #278893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"North coach Tracy York will be looking to reverse the result from round 1 when her side lost to the Tigers by 15 points (70 - 55), North's biggest losing margin of the season."

Huh? Might want to check your facts before your previews. Geez!

Reply #278894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mavs Girls to get the W,
stop off for Maccas at Cross Rd,
fill radiator @ the Tollgate for drive up the hill,
and grab some late dinner in Hahndorf.

Reply #278902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood and Sturt who thumped a patetic Souths firmed for the women's title after Forestville needed the umps to beat lowly Woodville.

Reply #278934 | Report this post

mmm  
Years ago

Both west teams won girls in OT

Reply #278939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West girls in triple overtime.

Madgen fouled out after having 3 fouls in first quarter.

Reply #278941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CLUTCH! amazing game J Fricker halfway shot for 2nd OT

Reply #278944 | Report this post

SS Tomatin  
Years ago

The West girls won only after a determined Counter Punch from Mavs.A-Behind-the-Half-way-Line-Swish with 1 second left to put the game into triple overtime.Exciting stuff.Irene(West) was fouled out so was Magden(Mav).Nikki and Ash then scuttled them.

The West Men didnt have a lengthy warmup waiting for the thrice delayed start.But on this cold night The Mavericks were not given any warmth,only the door.A 82-66 punt into the Port river where they sank like a proverbial.Game over by half time.One of the Maverick men was teched twice too.A long drive home pass the Cheltenham cemetary back to the toll gate?

Reply #278945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no he was only teched once and was ejected but there were like 3 or 4 techs to none

Reply #278952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont think the senior ref mcdonald likes the Mavs much he was extremly bias. Would of been happy to walk out at half time the way he was calling it.

Reply #278957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting Madgen fouled out,she usually gets away with charges almost as much as Ireland gets carried off court only to make miraculous recoveries. Heart surgeon needed at wayville.

Reply #278962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When you have Maidment blowing everyone and Ireland sucking, what do you expect?

Tough when one ump has to ref both ends. Calls not made down ireland's end were called down maidment's!

Grrr!

Reply #278963 | Report this post

hahaha  
Years ago

At Sturt stadium, the south coach was ejected again and Tech fouls called also.
Looks like players and coaches are no longer getting away with acting badly during the SA ABA?

Perhaps the South Adelaide Basketball club should do something about the coach internally - could you imagine if an AFL coach continually brought his team in to disrepute like this?

Reply #278965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahaha, you mention the south coach ejected again. When exactly was he ejected before? I think you will find that he hasn't even received a tech foul before last night.

Reply #278966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the funny thing was in the mavs game was that Hill and Madgen both got techs for swearing at McDonald and then a west player swears at him and nothing called very poor game by the refs

Reply #278969 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

quality of refs shouldnt be used by coaches and players as reasons for poor behaviour - regardless how good or bad - needs to be standards -

Reply #278970 | Report this post

hahaha  
Years ago

Previous seasons, and also times when he should have been ejected but the umpires have not had the balls.

I think that in the past he has intimidated the young officials

Reply #278972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well hahaha, I can tell you honestly the south womens coach has never been ejected before last night, regardless of how many times you believe he should have been. You are clearly talking crap.

Reply #278974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most coaches get thrown out during their career and it's no big deal, his major problem is he runs the same plays he did when he had 2 of the better bigs in the comp. He hasn't or can't adapt to life after them so he may be sin binned more in games to come.

Reply #278976 | Report this post

Young Smart-Arse  
Years ago

Anonymous #278957 in the Mavs/West game (there are 2 teams) the reason why the ref didnt tech the West player was because he didnt hear him because the Mavs coach was screaming in his ear.
By the end of the game,it seemed to me, McDonald was so sick of the Mavs coach, that when the coach went to question him, McDonald simply turned around and yelled NO!!!!

I am sick of all of these coaches that yell and scream at the refs mainly because THEY ARE LOSING!!!.

Stop blaming refs for their own (and player) inadequacies (insert stupidity and inability to keep mouth shut)

Reply #278983 | Report this post

Me  
Years ago

So which coach is getting sacked this week??

Reply #278988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Me, who do you think should get sacked?
I'd sack the entire group of refs and let each club supply an official. At least the cheating then would be balanced, lol.

Reply #278989 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

Coach Breaney?
He has been around a long time and I would suggest he is a smart coach, not the type to be in the ear of the umpires unless with good reason

Reply #278992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, the cheating! I hate one eyed supporters more than refs! Did you know that each week the refs get together and decide which teams they will screw? And which teams they will favour? You sir are retarded

Reply #278993 | Report this post

old ref  
Years ago

when i was a ref (a long time ago) if a coach had too much to say their team suffered, coaches should focus on their players, how come a ref can get 1 call wrong and have a coach all over them yet some of their star players can miss twenty shots and have nothing said to them??!!

Reply #278996 | Report this post

Me  
Years ago

i couldnt care less really just was having a dig at all the people on round10's write up wanting the centrals coach fired

Reply #278997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

old ref, thanks for confirming some refs cheat.

Reply #278999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

278999 how can you read into old ref's comments that refs cheat? have your own agenda there?

Reply #279000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"if a coach had too much to say the team suffered" seems an admission that he penalised the team to me.
A lot of refs play the man IMO.

Reply #279004 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Whether knowingly or subconsciously, they all would.

Reply #279007 | Report this post

My question is, if the coach is more concerned about the referee's then what respect are they showing their players if the coach as no control over their actions. How is it the referee's fault if a team is playing badly, when referee's dont go yelling and screaming everytime and playing misses a shot or gets a turnover?

My second question is why does it all come down to the referee?
Im just curious to why this is so. If you wish to comment please no negative comments to individual referee's. This is always some that has stunned me as I have been watching on the sidelines.

Reply #279014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there are a few refs that are completely useless, having said that none of them have ever cost my team a game, as they dont shoot the ball or defend the opposition players

Reply #279015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spot on trees, for me worrying about things you can control is the key

Reply #279017 | Report this post

Lenovo  
Years ago

Coaches get upset when referee's are inconsistent, and miss BIG and HARD HITTING FOULS. At ABL it is different as you have coaches that actually know what they are talking about.

What I get really annoyed about are the points of emphasis come out each year with the same bullshit: like hand checking of checking the cutters will not be tolerated this season. And yet two games into the season they have been forgotten and are out the window.

Are the referee coaches hard enough on the referee's if they do stuff up a game or have a very poor performance?? I think not...………….

This problem is only going to get worse as there is a MASSIVE shortage of young referee’s coming up through the grades. Just have a look on Saturday mornings and there are hardly any referee’s out there.

Reply #279019 | Report this post

Fisher89  
Years ago

BSA?
you have a full time person as your Referee development manager lately there seems to be more and more solo games

I say BSA are to blame

Reply #279020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mmm so anyway. woodville men beat forestville by 2 pts at wayville. three losses in a row for the eagles isnt it?

Reply #279022 | Report this post

Outsider  
Years ago

How is it BSA's fault if junior referees decide to quit because they are sick of parents abusing them during the junior games?

I am a referee, i love what i do most of the time, it's fun, it keeps me fit and i get to interact with people that love the game like i do, but there are so many times where i have thought is it all worth it.

Through my 4-5 years of refereeing i have seen countless number of junior officials (the good and the bad) leave because they are fed up with it.

These referees give up their lives to come out here and referee YOUR games. They don't get thanked or protected or helped like any of the players.

If a referee makes a mistake, they get abused by coaches, players and spectators but on the other hand, if a player makes a mistake then everyone yells "its ok, better luck next time"

Referee's are humans, just like players and coaches, everyone makes mistakes.

Now i understand in my 8-9 years of playing district how frustrating it is to not get a call, especially if you think it is obvious. But thats life, you have to learn to move on and play to the whistle.

Now back to the parents;

Half of you parents need to learn the rules before you start abusing referee's. Go do a level 1 referee course and actually get out there and referee some decent games and you will see just how difficult it actually is. There is nothing easy about running for 3-4 hours straight (on a friday night) whilst making split second decisions and getting yelled at from everyone else in the stadium. It is not easy.

As parents you should not be saying anything to the referee's anyway, if the coach has a problem, the coach can ask or talk to the referee (there is a difference between talking and yelling) and it can be resolved that way. By parents yelling at the referee, it will not change a call, it makes it harder for the referee to concentrate so the ref makes more mistakes.

The more parents abuse referee's, the more they want to quit.

So instead of blaming BSA for not having enough referee's, have a think about why there aren't enough referees.

Who wants to do a job where you have so many people constantly abusing you?

Reply #279024 | Report this post

Thankyou Outsider, i was halfway through typing the same thing!

Reply #279026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Outsider, a few years ago I'd have agreed with you but its rare for refs to cop parent or spectator crap now and I think its produced worse officials because umps know they are untouchable and that their mistakes are meaningless in terms of accountability.
I think its healthier for everyone to be accountable and more UIC should take umps off court during games they are massacring. Coaches get the boot and so should indifferent, suspect officials.

Reply #279030 | Report this post

enjoythegame  
Years ago

I have said it before a ref might get one or two calls wrong or not see a foul, BUT how many time do players make turnovers,bad passes or even take the wrong shot.... everyone makes mistakes and the more a coach mouths off and carrys on like a tool every 50/50 call will more than likely go against them...Maybe on the next game all the refs should not turn up and then we will see how good the games are. And no i am not a reff and i would not do it for all the tea in china, but without them we dont have a game and maybe some of the people who post on here should put their hand up and start reffing themselves.I think the clubs should start paying for a third reff,,,, and have 3 reffs at all ABL games.Its alway easy to blame the reffs... Its never that we had a bad game or our shooting was only at 30%,we miss easy rebounds,our we dident defend their best shooter, Just look to the middle of the court and blame the two reffs how easy is that.....

Reply #279031 | Report this post

Fisher89  
Years ago

Outsider, BSA have employed a full time person to improve the quality and number of umpires in South Australia.

Now it is this persons job to do this, so of course the responsability is with BSA.

I agree with you that there are some very good reasons why it is hard to keep good numbers of umpires however in Victoria they have no such problem - this would in part be due to a larger population but that would be off set by many more games and teams.

I think at the end of the day BSA need to find a way to recruit & retain more umpires for all levels..........

the question I am asking is what have they tried to do to fix the problem since employing somoeone full time to the role and paying them a very good salary???

Reply #279032 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Are refs paid the same amount here and in Victoria?

Reply #279036 | Report this post

Fisher89  
Years ago

not sure, wouldnt think so?
cost of living is higher in Melb

Reply #279046 | Report this post

Outsider  
Years ago

Fisher89, you do make some valid points.

First of all, Victoria has something like a thousand referee's, we have around a hundred. They also get payed around 20-30% higher then adelaide referees.

Whilst i do agree that there are some very arrogant officials that think they are above the game, this is not everyone. This is more based on their personality then their refereeing ability.

You mention the role of the referee manager. Have you heard anything about what he is doing or has done?

Unfortunately by hiring one person the quality of the refereeing is not going to be raised instantly, instead (from what i have heard) the plans the this individual has put in place is trying to provide a higher quality of officials for the future.

It is a tough job to coordinate all the referee's, everyone sees the game differently and everyone thinks it should be refereed differently to how it is, but at the end of the day it is very rare that both teams walk off happy. Especially when you have two teams with different skill levels.

As for your comment about being less abuse these days, i am sorry but that is rubbish. I admit that players and coaches are getting better because they are learning that the best way to get a referee on their side is to just talk to them in a nice manner instead of yelling at them, however not everyone gets this.

Parents though, they will never learn, because and i say this is the nicest way, but they are completely one-eyed. They continually abuse referee's about the standard of refereeing, even if it is refereed very well. The problem is parents do not understand the rules, they do not understand the concept of advantage/disadvantage, the concept of who made the contact.

There are so many different parts of the game that the referee has to think about that parents dont often see it. They think my child just got blocked, it must of been a foul.

Until parents see that there yelling and abuse of referee's is actually making the referees call less and that it is making referees quit then there will be no end to this. Also, it is not setting a good example, the kids think since my parents are doing it then i must be able to as well.

Reply #279051 | Report this post

Lenovo  
Years ago

Why should it depend on how much they are getting paid??? We are talking ABL here NOT JNRS.

Jnr's no problems at all. Parents should butt out. But ABL is a different kettle of fish.

Reply #279053 | Report this post

Outsider  
Years ago

Lenovo whilst that is true, where do the CABL umpires come from?

Juniors.

If referee's are quitting and not getting the right development at the junior level then the quality of the refereeing in the CABL will not be as high as it should be.

Reply #279054 | Report this post

lol  
Years ago

enjoythegame,

The difference is that players have someone trying to stop them from achieveing a skill. (open skill)

While refs do not. (closed skill)

Open skills are inherantly more difficult than closed skills.

Also, if a player misses a skill. They are automatically penalised by losing. If a refs makes a error, not only are they not penalised personally, they are actually penalising someone else.

And ever see a player get dragged by their coach for making an error? Yes absolutely.

Ever see that happen to a ref? No.

Until there is accountability for refs, nothing is going to change.

Reply #279057 | Report this post

Lenovo  
Years ago

outsider, im agreeing with you. In jnrs parents need to learn to keep their mouths shut.

However we cant wrap them up in cotton wool, because by the time these referee's get to do summer Season or reserves they wont know how to handle a coach that asks questions and therefor throw techs out straight away with no communication skills what so ever.

Its a fine line.

Reply #279059 | Report this post

chad  
Years ago

Maybe SA refs should be instructed to ref like they do in Vic! They allow more physical play therefore they call less and the game flows more. As a coach I love they way the Vic refs called it during Easter Carnival and State Champs! To me the way they call the game is more clear cut!

We get a bag of mixed lollies here in SA and it changes from week to week. Some refs let it flow and allow the more physical play and then you go to another stadium the week after and they call everything! That is what is frustrating from a coaches perspective.

And I agree with the statement that how many years a ref has been umpiring doesn't indicate their capabilities. Last week my team had an older ref and he was an egotistical 'I'm here for the power' type and he ruined a good game. He didn't change the result of the game but he made it very unenjoyable for players, coaches and parents. This week I had a youngish girl and a green shirter and they both were pretty good! When I shook thier hands I thought to myself I didn't actually notice you umpiring that game! And to me if you don't notice the umpires they have done a good job!

Reply #279062 | Report this post

Lenovo  
Years ago

Chad, the vic ref's o sgree are much better than the SA ref's. However the difference is, the Vic ref's understand what to call and what not to call. SA ref's (the ones coming up through the ranks) dont understand what to call and what not to call.

They are confused by the disadvatage rule. Technically in jnrs there is no such thing as advantage/disadvatnge acording to Paul Arnott's email last month.

Reply #279065 | Report this post

gen x chromosome  
Years ago

Best refs I recall were the ones I didn't notice until after the game.

To try and compare umps mistakes with player mistakes is like comparing apples and carrots.

The refs are actually there for the game's sake, the players a central theme.

Reply #279070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

under 16 girls div 1 forestville spectators are so bad. they have really bad behaviour and abuse the referee's most weeks. disgusting

Reply #279210 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:47 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754