Isaac
Years ago

Boomers workout group announced

Looks like a list vying for spots unlikely to be locks to bigger name players (Mills, Ingles, etc):

Basketball Australia is pleased to announce the 13 athletes invited to a Golden Star Boomers Workout at the Australian Institute of Sport next week.

The Workout, from June 12-14 at the AIS, is a crucial part of the selection process for the Boomers World Challenge against Argentina on June 25, 27 and 29 in Perth, Melbourne and Adelaide respectively.

The best performers from the Workout will join several overseas-based Boomers at Boomers training camp from June 20-24 in Perth ahead of the series opener.
Ben ALLEN / 211cm / 23 / Centre / Townsville Crocodiles
Anatoly BOSE / 200cm / 21 / Guard / Nicholls State University (US)
Jason CADEE / 185cm / 19 / Guard / Gold Coast Blaze
Matthew DELLAVEDOVA / 190cm / 19 / Guard / St Mary's University (US)
Adam GIBSON / 188cm / 23 / Guard / Gold Coast Blaze
Chris GOULDING / 191cm / 21 / Guard / Gold Coast Blaze
Alex LOUGHTON / 205cm / 27 / Forward / Cairns Taipans
Ater MAJOK / 208cm / 22 / Forward / University of Connecticut (US)
Steven MARKOVIC / 190cm / 25 / Guard / KK Crvena Zvezda Beograd (Serbia)
Damian MARTIN / 188cm / 25 / Guard / Perth Wildcats
Luke NEVILL / 216cm / 24 / Centre / Melbourne Tigers
Anthony PETRIE / 203cm / 27 / Forward / Gold Coast Blaze
Stephen WEIGH / 198cm / 21 / Guard / Perth Wildcats

Topic #23106 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats Trigger doing wrong??? Surely he would get a spot at the workout especially if ordinary Forwards/Centres like Ben Allen and Majok are attending. Also Khazzouh, Come on BA.

Reply #279142 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Interesting to see Steven Markovic making himself available. Would like to see how his game has progressed in Europe over the last few years.

Reply #279147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who is trigger?

Reply #279150 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Larry Davidson is another who should be given a look in. Trigger is Cameron Tragardh.

Reply #279155 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

How many players will make the team for the Arg series? I assume that they will run with 12 players being available to play each game but will they have say 15 with 3 reserves?

Reply #279164 | Report this post

Captain Dan  
Years ago

But surely the likes of Mills, Ingles, Newley, Jawai, Bogut are already guaranteed spots in the Aus. line up and the 5 i named would likely be your starting 5...

Reply #279170 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

Bogut's not playing but i think he's commentating.

Reply #279174 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

I agree, shame Trigger's name ain't there.

He is a hard worker and exceptional offensively, but perhaps he gets overlooked due to defensive reasoning. (he's good, just not noted as being as quick and agile as others also vying for a spot)

Reply #279182 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I'd guess that Mills, Newley, Barlow, Ingles, Andersen and Jawai are all pretty much guaranteed spots barring injury. The only positions pretty much stitched up by that lot are the SG/SF positions. So mainly backup PG and big man positions that are up for grabs.

Dellavedova, Gibson, Martin and Cadee have plenty to play for in this group!

Nevill has a great chance to really get noticed as well. Will be interesting to see if Allen can challenge him.

Not really a chance for the Boomers WC team I wouldn't think, but will be interesting to see how good Bose looks in comparison to Weigh as well. Would be good to see Goulding go well too.

Reply #279191 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

I'm not sure that Tregenza's skills would translate from footy to basketball. Plus he is getting on a bit now so I agree with the decision not to include him.

Reply #279196 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

There's also Bruton who you all have missed... he's likely to make the squad, or be up there in contention.

Reply #279251 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Great to see Petrie rewarded for a few solid seasons.

Reply #279262 | Report this post

jarrad  
Years ago

what in the word is Ater Majok doing there? he had his chance in the boomers before, also in College.. and he didnt cut it! he blocks alot of shots, granted.. but more often then not he looks lost.

Reply #279281 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Majok's performance in the state's don't justify his palce. However he did manage a 10 point effort against the Chinese last year when he was in the Boomer's Development team (let's face it - most were 2nd stringers at that stage).

However IMO he has upside and will continue to get better. However the fact remains there are massive question marks over his head whether he can become a successful professional baller let alone a Boomer.

I like the fact Anatoly Bose got chosen to workout in the squad as we lack depth at the shooting guard position. He starred in Div I college basketball last season for Nicholls State.

I also love the fact Chris Goulding got invited as he has real potential too.

I'd love to find out how Markovic has progressed too as he has been way off the radar now for a few years.

I too think Petrie deserves a chance to prove himself, as does Loughton, Martin and to a lesser extent Weigh. Tragardh I would like to think should have got an invite too. Maybe Khazzouh made himself unavailable??? I would suggest the samwe goes for Ogilvy who will be undertaking workouts to try and get drafted.

Reply #279285 | Report this post

dj moby dis  
Years ago

Ater Majok LOL

Reply #279321 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:58 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754