DB5
Years ago

Finals MVP : Who do you pick?

This should cause a bit of debate around here hopefully.

With such a close series, and no one player really dominating AND winning, who would your pick be for MVP at the moment? Kobe has the numbers except for in the win column as we speak, could he possibly be the second man to lose The Finals, but win MVP?

Rondo dominated game 1, but not really much else, Ray has gone Arctic since game 2, Pierce has had 1 really good game, and KG has been solid but not spectacular.

Really not sure who I would go for here, Kobe has been most valuable to his team, but just seems wrong to get the award if your team loses...

Thoughts?

Topic #23142 | Report this topic

Chewy  
Years ago

Kobe for NBA Finals MVP.

Lakers in 7. Ride the purple and gold wave baby ;)

Reply #279616 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

As much as I hate to say it I think Kobe has to get it regardless of who wins (and barring a meltdown from him or a standout game(s) from Rondo, PP or KG in games 6/7).

He is the only guy who hasn't gone AWOL at some stage during the series. If you took a Rondo or PP out of the Celtics they would still do alright - much better chance than a Kobe-less Lakers would do that's for sure.

Reply #279621 | Report this post

nvth  
Years ago

depending on the next games would have to be who ever plays better rondo or pierce

Reply #279623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ Mbenga will come on and get a quadruple double 28 points 21 rebounds 11 blocks 10 assists in game 6 and game 7 will get 36 points 23 rebounds and 14 blocks. No I actually think Kobe deserves it the most, you can just see it in his eyes and he never gives up.

Reply #279624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Celtics players have been unconsistant so you cant really pick one between KG, PP, Ray, Rondo and Big Baby. But Kobe has been so consistant an incredible player who deserves the finals MVP.

Reply #279625 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Kobe wins MVP regardless of who wins the finals IMO. As others have pointed out, he is the one guy who has performed in each game.

Reply #279627 | Report this post

jj  
Years ago

please excuse the ignorance, but who was the player to win Finals MVP in a losing side? and what were his stats and how did they lose?

cheers

Reply #279644 | Report this post

Chewy  
Years ago

Jerry West in the 1969 NBA Finals when the Lakers lost to the Celtics in 7. He averaged 38 ppg and had a triple double in game 7.

Reply #279647 | Report this post

jj  
Years ago

cheers mate. maybe history repeats?!?!

i hope not!

Reply #279649 | Report this post

Chewy  
Years ago

Definitely not gonna repeat itself mate. Lakers in 7.

Reply #279650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah they never give Finals MVP to a player from the losing team. Well not in 40 years anyway. If Kobe won it it would be a complete farce. If the Celtics win the series it will probably go to Rondo.

Reply #279653 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

it will come down to who steps up in game 6 (which I think boston will win)...if Pierce or Rondo has a good game it will go to one of those...if its another balanced, bench lead attack i think it HAS to be Kobe.

Reply #279656 | Report this post

Coopz  
Years ago

I am a Lakers fan, BUT, surely if Celtics do win it, it will have a lot to do with how well they guarded Kobe, right?

So wouldn't giving him the MVP fly in the face of their victory?

Reply #279657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some of the kids on here are idiots. Kobe would have to be dominating to even be a slim chance to win MVP if the Celtics won the series. Kobe's only shooting 43% from the field for the series and averaging more than 4 turnovers a game too. Idiotic.

Reply #279658 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Um Kobe is averaging 30pts 5reb 6ast 1st for the Finals, not sure how well he has been guarded there...

Pierce 19 4 and 3.

Allen 14 3 and 1.

Garnett 15 6 and 3.

Rondo 14 6 7 and 1.

Between Kobe and Rondo, depends on who wins IMO.

Reply #279668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about glen davis his energy and contribution off the bench has been incredible. This guy is 6'9 and is pulling offensive rebounds and difficult layups against big man like Gasol, Bynum and Odom.

Reply #279679 | Report this post

jj  
Years ago

i wouldnt rekon baby davis' stats are anywhere near where they need to be to be considered. i understand that you're talking about his all round contribution and not just in the stats book, but i still say it's pretty easy to pick from here.....

Boston win - Rondo
LA win - Kobe

Reply #279721 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Update after game 6

Kobe : 29.5p, 6.8r, 4.2a, 2.3s

Gasol : 18.5p, 10.5r, 3.7a, 2.7b

Allen : 14.8p, 2.8r, 1.7a

Garnett : 15p, 6r, 3.2a

Pierce : 18p, 4.5r, 3.2a

Rondo : 13.5p, 6r, 7.2a, 1.7st

Reply #279797 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

The game 7 refs deserve it easy

Reply #400901 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:09 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754