Isaac
Years ago

Boomers squad named, final camp June 20-24

Patrick MILLS / 183cm / 21 / Guard / Portland Trail Blazers (US)
Adam GIBSON / 188cm / 23 / Guard / Gold Coast Blaze
Damian MARTIN / 188cm / 25 / Guard / Perth Wildcats
Jason CADEE / 185cm / 19 / Guard / Gold Coast Blaze
Steven MARKOVIC / 190cm / 25 / Guard / KK Crvena Zvezda Beograd (Serbia)
Joe INGLES / 203cm / 22 / Forward / CB Granada (Spain)
Matthew DELLAVEDOVA / 190cm / 19 / Guard / St Mary's University (US)
Hugh GREENWOOD / 187cm / 18 / Guard / AIS
Brad NEWLEY / 198cm / 25 / Guard / Lietuvos Rytas (Lithuania)
Stephen WEIGH / 198cm / 21 / Guard / Perth Wildcats
Mark WORTHINGTON / 202cm / 27 / Forward / Brose Baskets (Germany)
Ater MAJOK / 208cm / 22 / Forward / University of Connecticut (US)
Alex LOUGHTON / 205cm / 27 / Forward / Cairns Taipans
Aron BAYNES / 207cm / 23 / Centre / Lietuvos Rytas (Lithuania)
Luke NEVILL / 216cm / 24 / Centre / Melbourne Tigers
Quite young - oldest are Wortho and Loughton at 27 yo. Jawai, Barlow, Maric, etc not available, I guess? Another missing name is Goulding - unavailable or not picked? Wonder if it's about blooding youngsters as anything else?

Topic #23154 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Based on who the Argentinians are sending, probably more about blooding youngsters with an aim to helping narrow down who will make the final spot or two on the WC team.

Good to see Greenwood making the squad - he deserves his chance based on his form with the Emu's over the past year.

I'm really intersted to see how Markovic goes as we have not really seen nor heard anything since his NBL days.

Cadee and Delly going head to head with Mills, Martin and Gibson would be a good test for them and a chance to prove their worth in trying to secure a backup role. A good chance for the coaching staff to weigh them up against one another.

Reply #279715 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

PS: Maric is still unavailable as he is currently playing in the Serbian Leage grand final series. He starred in the game 1 win.

Reply #279716 | Report this post

rebounder  
Years ago

They're certainly blooding a few, would have been nice to see them give Goulding a chance.

Reply #279724 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

No Anatoly Bose?

I haven't seen him play and don't know exactly how good he is, but supposedly from word of mouth a player with an amazingly bright future

Reply #279726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bose and goulding both got cut. Expect to see goulding down the line. Bose not so much. Overhyped.

Reply #279727 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

Bose is an unknown commodity to be honest.. hes put up some terrific numbers in the NCAA, but the problem is he plays for a so so team in a low major conference so he really hasnt faced good competition.

I wanna know wheres Jawai and Anderson :p

Reply #279729 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

No disrespect to the talent on show; but this Boomers series is starting to become a disappointment. Good to see Bogey involved with the commentary; but I was certainly hoping for some bigger International names to be involved.

Still a great lineup for us; but I was hoping for Scola at least to play in the lineup. Good to see Delfino is still going to play.

Reply #279731 | Report this post

Who Me  
Years ago

I see that Bose has also withdrawn his name from the NBA Draft, would that have an impact on his availability for this series, due to NCAA rules?

Reply #279732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can understand Andersen not playing as he did play a good portion of the NBA season and missed about the last quarter of the season due to a back injury which might still be hampering him but why isn't Jawai playing?

He rarely played in the NBA this season and given he's not exactly high up in Brett Brown's calculations this would've been the perfect opportunity (with so many bigs like Bogut, Andersen, Maric, Nielsen out) for him to possibly impress and help his chances of making the WC team. I would've thought his chances of making that team now would be very unlikely.

Reply #279733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who me, no you can still play for your country while attending a college.

Reply #279734 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

yeah we'll definitely need 6 point guards...

Reply #279739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai not playing??? very dissapointed also about goulding. Not enough quality forwards/Centres.

Reply #279746 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

seems very light on in bigs -
plenty of guards and not much experience
wouyldnt be nbetter to look for more size mobility

Reply #279748 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

where is andrew bogut!

Reply #279749 | Report this post

hanging round  
Years ago

"Curious" - he is on the 7pm Report

Reply #279751 | Report this post

djmojo  
Years ago

extremely weak in the centre position......absolute joke that majok is in this squad........

Reply #279753 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I'm very disappointed to see Jawai missing from this selection. He was one of the main reasons I purchased a ticket. Hopefully Mills will be good to go and stay injury free in the other games to allow us to see him. Worst case thought of course.

Reply #279756 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

touche "hanging around"

Reply #279768 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

brett brown has always had a love for gaurds.

Reply #279771 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

guards.
a mills, markovic combo would be good.

Reply #279772 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Whilst it would be great to see all our best players on court in this series, lets take a step back and look at the big picture. Argentina are sending their development squad with none of their bonafide stars and locks for the WC team.

Argentina are sending 12 of the 14 players for their tour of Australia:
Gustavo Nicolas Aguirre
Facundo Campazzo
Jonatan Alberto Treise
Nicolas De los Santos
Matias Nocedal
Carlos Leonel Schattmann
Mariano Fierro
Sebastian Ernesto Vega
Pablo Espinoza
Federico Matias Aguerre
Nicolas Romano
Diego Leonardo Romero
Alejandro Martin Alloatti
Pablo Martin Orlietti

For heavens sake, the Argentinians are not even sending their head coach on this tour! Instead they are being guided by their assistant coach.

I like the fact that Brown and co are treating this series as a development opportunity - as that is what it really is given the team they will be playing against.

If or one would love to see Jawai and the rest of our big names in action together as a team in the lead up to the WC's, but the fact remains some of our best players are unavailable either due to team commitments, injury, or due to them taking a short break after a long season.

I know for one that Jawai recently participated in the same training camp as AJ Ogilvy is currently part of in LA as he prepares for next week's NBA draft. Maybe he is shopping himself around to ensure he remains in the NBA next season?

Reply #279779 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Couple of injuries are apparently keeping out a few key players some might have expected to have played.

Reply #279781 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Goulding , Ballinger would have been interesting,
with the big names missing.
As would Clarke , Bevo.

Reply #279784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imagine this.

G Mills v Sanchez
G Newley v Ginobili
F Ingles v Delfino
F Andersen v Scola
C Bogut v Oberto

7 NBA draft picks
4 NBA starters
2 All-NBA team members

3 of 5 Aussie starters are in the NBA, the other two are that close.

Reply #279785 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Isaac, is one of those injuries Barlow? I understand the absence of Bogut, Andersen, Nielsen, Jawai, Bruton and Maric, but Barlow hasn't played a competitive match since the end of April. I would have thought two months to be a nice rest before having a hit out with the Boomers.

Reply #279786 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Can't say.

Reply #279790 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Intriguing!

Reply #279792 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I dont mind the squad, would just like to see Matt Knight and Larry Davidson in there instead of Baynes and Majok, who both had their chance last season.

I would also like to see Ballinger given a chance, but this seems to be a youth squad which isnt a bad idea. Hopefully Balls gets an invite to a later camp.

Reply #279800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yer definately Ballinger also Khazzouh, Goulding and Tragardh.

Reply #279805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills/Gibbo/Martin
Newley/Markovic/Delly
Ingles/Worthington
Loughton/Majok
Nevill/Baynes

Reply #279807 | Report this post

Who Me  
Years ago

I could see, with this line-up, the Aussies going even smaller in the starters: -

Gibson
Newley
Ingles
Worthington
Nevill

Worthington is pretty strong and could handle the 4 spot, especially in a Zone D.

Newley is a pretty good rebounder for a 2 as well, so wouldn't miss a lot there either.

Reply #279810 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

If it's about blooding the young, I would have liked to have seen Goulding there too (but I am biased).

I hadn't even heard of Greenwood until now?! Can anybody provide a brief insight into what type of player he is and what he can offer the national program?

Reply #279817 | Report this post

:)  
Years ago

I saw Jawai at sydney airport today.. looked like he was in shape... skinny lets hope he will be playing this series...

Reply #279819 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Greenwood is at AIS and a very talented SG. averaged 14.0ppg, 5.8rpg, 1.8apg in SEABL as a starter.
Starter for the Emu's as well at recent Albert Schweitzer Tournament that won gold medal, being named to the all-tournament first team.

Here is the link to his BA profile: http://linky.com.au/9pogj

Reply #279820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this the only squad for the perth game or for the whole series because ':)' Jawai is not in the squad and Jawai im pretty sure Jawai ain't skinny.

Reply #279840 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The Argentinian team set to plasy in Australia has lost all of their games in a lead up games against China by around 20 points each...

Also, Aleks Maric was named Serbian League MVP - that's a fair effort! His team also won the title, and Maric got involved in a fight in the last game of the series!

Reply #280302 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

That Serbian game may have been the one where only 3 players from each team finished the game , after the fight. The other players were all sent off.

Reply #280304 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I just read that Sydney's Luke Cooper has been added to the squad, can anyone confirm this? was anyone cut or injured to allow Cooper in?

Reply #320638 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:33 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754