Isaac
Years ago

76ers trade Dalembert for Nocioni, Hawes

The Philadelphia 76ers traded Dalembert to the Sacramento Kings on Thursday for Andres Nocioni and Spencer Hawes.
Dalembert was Philadelphia's longest-tenured player, but he played for seven different coaches and never developed into a dominant force after being drafted in the first round in 2001. The 6-foot-11 center averaged 8.1 points and 8.3 rebounds in eight seasons with the Sixers and often was mentioned in trade rumors.
From ESPN.

Topic #23165 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Win win for both teams IMO.

Reply #279860 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Why would the Kings make this trade? They traded away a good, young, cheap centre to get Dalembert??

Okay, Dalembert's contract is expiring, but its still only for $13 mil, whereas Nocioni’s is for about the same over two years (when you include Dalembert's trade kicker). I know Nocioni asked for a trade, but why give up a good young centre to get rid of him? What, you might be getting slightly better inside defence? Maybe they don’t like Hawes that much. Great trade for Philly I say, with the #2 pick too coming.

Reply #279861 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

The kings did this to make room for Demarcus Cousins. They just need to hope he lasts till pick 5! I would assume that they would have some pretty decent cap space after next season and may be looking at trying to bring in Carmelo to play next to Evans, Cousins, Landry, Thompson, Casspi etc.

Reply #279865 | Report this post

jacob  
Years ago

dumb trade by both teams i think .

for the kings you give up spencer hawes (offensive mindset) and nocioni for dalembert (pure defence) . If you say they are getting cousins there frontline will lack production in offense.

and for the 76ers dalambert wasnt the issue TRADE ELTON BRAND. he is chewing big money and playing horrible. but apparently dalembert wanted trade so robs a better trade for 6eers.

Reply #279876 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

I actually really like this trade for sacto, if Dalembert plays garbage they can just sit him and use him as a decent size expiring. No doubt teams will give up value for him at the trade deadline.

Hawes hasn't shown too much for the kings, he was in and out of the rotation last season and there is no meaningful court time with landry, thompson and likely another big from the draft.
Hawes also clearly doesn't fit their system now that the princeton offence is out. I see this more as an addition by subtraction type deal for the Kings.

The sixers on the other hand are going to have the single worst defensive front line in the league.

Reply #279882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Cousins is going at number 2 to Philly. Turner goes at 3 for nets as they already have Yi and Humphries at PF so why get Favors. Even if Turner goes at no.2 why not pick Wesley Johnson at 3. They already have Yi and Brook scoring in the post down low and if they dont get lebron or johnson then will need scoring help on the wings and also outside shooting which the nets were horrible at and i think Wesley was shooting over 50% in college before he had that injury. Then Favors at 4 to wolves trade off Kevin Love for a SF/SG, Yer the logical result is cousins at 5 to sacremento coming off the bench for his first season getting offensive boards and getting so junk buckets but maybe sitting on the bench for a season will cool the hot head/imatture guy down especially if he's sitting next to some veterans.

Reply #279900 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

It's not a bad trade for both teams, it not mind blowing, but it's not too bad.

The 76ers have been trying of ages to trade away Dalembert. Nocioni formally requested a trade. Hawes is an offensive centre, so the 76ers trading defense for offence.

The 76ers save about $3 mill on the deal.

No team will dare touch the contract of Brand. It's a cap killer, especially with the CBA negiotations coming soon and question marks over the cap numbers.

Noc is a small forward, and the 76ers are pretty good at that position. There maybe something in the background involving Thad Young or Iggy. You wouldn't take on Noc's contract as a 'filler'.

Reply #279901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why trade off Thad Young? Young star with plenty of potential and also can play the 4 spot aswell as the 3.

Reply #279922 | Report this post

Humpa  
Years ago

This is good for Sactown, bad for Philly.

Hawes/Brand is probably the worst frontcourt in the league. And they also added an overpaid tweener forward and lost a huge expiring for 2011.

SacTown get better obviously.

Reply #279924 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Thad Young is a great trading chip for the 76ers. They can use him to upgrade other areas. No one is taking the contracts of Brand of Iggy. They are both cap killers.

The 76ers have Brand/Speights at the 4, and Thad can't play centre. The pay an fortune for Brand, and Speights is developing nicely. Speights is also big enough to play the 5 along side Brand at the 4. Plus Thad when used at the PF position is small. Speights is 6'10", Thad is 6'8".

Iggy is not a 2 guy, so they'll slot him into the 3. That run at the 2 was a total fail. It is possible that the 76ers take Evan Turner with the 2nd pick to address the 2.

Hawes/Brand/Iggy/Turner/Holiday. Noc becomes the 6th man due to his defence. Speights backs up Brand unless Collins goes small ball (which he has never done in the coaching career).

Collins isn't dumb enough to start Brand at centre and Thad at the 4. That would be the smallest line in the league and would be destroyed.

I can also see the 76ers selecting Derrick Favors as the team is now lacking in defence and rebounding, something Turner doesn't bring to the table. If they go Favors, then they still need a better 2 guard than Willie Green. Hence, Thad Young becomes the trade bait. His position at the 4 is covered by the inclusion of Favors, and Iggy/Noc/Carney can cover the 3.

In the Favors scenario, Thad Young is a luxury which could be flipped for an upgrade SG.

Reply #279945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Iggy will play the 4 if they get Favors and if they do trade Thad young they will get a decent player back.

Reply #279948 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Iggy play at the 4???? 6'6", 200 pound guys don't play power forward. He'd get taken in the low block every single time. The 76ers will need to rebound the ball at some stage.

Favors is a 6'10" PF. Why would Iggy play the 4 if they draft Favors. Iggy is no where near being a 4, not even as a stretch 4.

Not even Don Nelson playing small ball would play Iggy at the 4.

Reply #279950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I meant at the 2 spot. I have never seen iggy play at the 4 spot.

Reply #279956 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:34 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754