skull
Years ago

Larry Sengstock's rating out of 10, thus far

how is everybody rating larry's performance so far?

it is still early,but so far so good.

we,ve come a long way since we hit the bottom!

now look,free to air,and 1, etc etc etc,all the building blocks being put in place.

HO - in particular,was very critical of larry,s selection,what are your thoughts now and why??

Topic #23175 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #279991 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

A Half decent Argentina team would have got him over the 7 mark, just. Big fail with this Internatioanl series. What an absolute Joke!!!

Reply #279995 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Sengstock has done a reasonable job to date. I would however have liked to see more grass-roots promotion and activities in the NBL off-season, particulalry with the reinstated Sydney Kings. I guess there is still plenty of time before the new season, but I would like to see plenty of it from now on.

I would also like to see more of the younger, newer faces and upcoming stars of the NBL and Boomers be used to help promote the NBL teams and the league. People still think Andrew Gaze when you mention the NBL.

We need more Boomers and Opals games ot be played in Australia - at least 1-2 series per year - not just in Olympic or WC yers.

Given all this, I think a 6.5 mark is warranted so far.

Reply #280007 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Achtung Baby, bit harsh blaming Larry for the decision of individual Argentinians not to play in a friendly series. That is out of his control.

I still think the Argentina series will be a very competitive one. The players they are bringing will be fighting for spots on their World Championship team so you would think they will be determined to play well against Australia.

From an Aussie point of view, we also get to see a fresh Mills looking to round into form for the World Championships. We may not see him play in this country again for quite a few years, as no doubt future NBA seasons will make it tough for him to play much in the off-season.

It will be good to see two SA boys in Ingles and Newley back from successful stints in Europe.

We get to see what a season of NBA training has done for Jawai's fitness and skill level.

We get to see Luke Nevill play and see what he can bring to the Boomers and to the Tigers next season.

Theres a ton of reasons to be positive about this series!

Reply #280020 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd rather watch Argentina B than Iran again.

Reply #280067 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The NBL was a basketcase for years. Close it down or give it to BA. Neither was ideal. But a lotta things have now vastly improved.
He wanted to ban music - let the game stand on it's own. While I struggled to play with it , it's part of our game now.
8 outta 10.

Reply #280075 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

8 & keep going mate...

Reply #280164 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

That was Frank Lowy, last nite. 'A-League needs more younger players and we'll do something about that, next season.' - That sounds like a YAP rule. If so, that's a compliment to Sengstock.

Reply #280178 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The YAP rule had nothing to do with Sengstock, it was in well before that. BA just tinkered with the details of it (ie changed it from U24 to U23 and then back again).

However, Sengstock and the board have made steady if unspectacular progress, which is exactly what was needed. Larry's efforts ensuring last year went ahead were outstanding, and the season turned out to be relatively successful.

The new TV deal seems to be a very good result, although time will tell, and there certainly hasnt been the mass exodus of players some were suggesting.

I think a very solid 8 so far, but with much work still to be done to make teams financially viable.

Reply #280180 | Report this post

Your Mum  
Years ago

Larry has done a great job, he's taken a sport that was struggling to even get a season running a year ago to having a FTA tv deal. He has rid the league of unfinancial teams and bought back the Kings, attendance also picked up throughout the league.

Anybody wanting more from Larry than we have gotten in the last 12 months is being un-realistic.

Reply #280199 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:34 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754