LC
Years ago

AFL Targeting Aussie College Basketballers

I came across an article in today's The Age newspaper online about how the AFL has piblicly come out to claim they are targeting Australian basketballers currently plying their trade in the US College system.

The Age Link: http://linky.com.au/4gasi

From the article:

"THE AFL has targeted 100 young Australian sportsmen playing college basketball in the US in a bid to lure elite talent from other sports as it expands over the next 18 months to 18 teams."

"A list of the college basketballers has come from the office of AFL boss Andrew Demetriou and distributed to several clubs including the fledgling Greater Western Sydney and the Swans."

"Having struggled to unearth talent from the Sydney market through the ambitious but ultimately mediocre NSW scholarship scheme, the AFL remains determined to scour other elite sporting markets in a bid to place star athletes on club lists via the recently opened up international rookie scheme."

"Club recruiters have increasingly searched for potential AFL stars at Australia's National Basketball League talent camps and Adelaide rookie Ricky Henderson was lured from the sport."

"While Dean Brogan is the most famous recruit from basketball, Kurt Tippett, Jesse White, Scott Pendlebury and Jack Watts and are four other notable former basketballers who crossed from basketball."

I just hope that the cream of the crop stay true to their basketball roots and avoid doing a Karmichael Hunt or Israel Folau.

Topic #23189 | Report this topic

Ushiro  
Years ago

If the money that was offered to Hunt and Folau was on offer to Basketballers, I am sure that the basketballers would consider it seeing as it is more than the salary cap of an entire NBL team.

Reply #280176 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It is mostly inevitable, given that the AFL is a league that doesnt require world class talent or athleticism. The reality is that most returning college basketballers arent good enough for the NBL, which is a world class league, and therefore the chance to be a pro athlete in a high profile sport like Aussie rules is a very atractive proposition.

What Basketball Australia has to work hard on and commit funds to is ensuring elite level basketballers arent poached.

Reply #280182 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Paul is correct, you can be an absolute hack AFL level footballer and get paid much more than being a bench warmer on an NBl side. Just not sure where BA are going to get the "funds" to commit to retaining our athletes.

Reply #280200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think there are even 100 Aussies playing college ball. Happy to be proven wrong, but my money says less than 80...

Reply #280201 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Oldish list here so might be more or less now - around 80-100 from a quick estimate of that site.

Reply #280205 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

As Isaac pointed out, it is definitely around 100 mark.

That list is from last season and is missing players that played at the lower levels of colege basketball, and does not list players that have signed on so far to play next season.

Reply #280207 | Report this post

Who Me  
Years ago

NBL - 10 teams - 100 players, less approximately 20% who are Overseas Born Players, either playing as Imports or Naturalised, - 80 positions, say 40 as starter roles.

AFL - 18 teams - 720 players, less approximately 1% who are Overseas Born Players - 710 positions, 390 of which are first choice positions in a team.

That's pretty close to 10 times as many opportunities in AFL compared to NBL. AFL is stable, has strong TV rights, NBL is trying to re-positions itself, has a Free to Air rights for the first time in many years.

Pretty simple marketing plan for AFL Clubs I would think.

Can't really use the future International opportunities anymore. I mean, at full strength the Boomers will probably look like:

- Mills
- Newley/Ingles
- Neilson/Worthington
- Andersen
- Bogut/Jawai

No too many spots for NBL based players is there.

Reply #280208 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Having said that, the Beijing team had seven NBL players and three more who have played in the NBL. Just because there will only prob be 3 this time around doesnt mean that is a permanent situation.

Does anyone know of someone who would definitely have been a good NBL player that has switched to footy?

Reply #280219 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

You also need to weight up the international opportunities basketball presents, and the chance to earn good money overseas - it's not just all about the NBL.

I think for bench warming Div 1 players and lower, the AFL may in fact to be a very attractive proposition.

Reply #280220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was Brogan ever a Boomer?

Watts and Pendlebury were talented hoopers, certainly, but not locks for Boomers spots.

It's not like basketball is losing complete studs...but BA/NBL needs to/MUST provide a legitimate pathway and job/career opportunities to Australian players and coaches.

Once a player has finished College, they either need to come back and play here or go and play in Europe while the rare studs go to the NBA.

The NBL option needs to be a legitimate career move - something to provide a player with money and a long term future

Reply #280221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

andy otten from the crows played u18 state for vic metro i think

Reply #280225 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Brogan was a non factor in the NBL. Too slow and unathletic for the 3-spot, and with an average handle and stroke.

Reply #280231 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Scott Pendlebury spent a week or so at the AIS on a basketball scholarship before throwing it in for football.

Plenty of current AFL players have represented their state in basketball before. Whether they would ever have been good enough to cut it at NBL level will never be known.

Reply #280232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who me, its a good point. I would think though basketball can gain some kind of foothold in the market there would be less players to pay in each team. Perhaps there may come a day where the actual annual salaries are similar if basketball regains its rightful place as one of the top sports in Australia.

280221, I think its also a government issue. If they want our country represented on the world stage they have to invest more money into our International athletes so they get lured to a sport only played professionally in our country - Aussie Rules...

Reply #280234 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

I remember reading an article some months ago where someone from the AFL openly admitted that they regarded Patrick Mills as "one that got away". What kind of tragedy could that have been both for Australian basketball and for Mills himself. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the money Mills has earned over the past year riding the pine for the 'Blazers on his rookie contract exceeds the annual salary of every AFL player bar maybe two or three superstars.

It's one thing to poach players returning from The States who are proven unlikely to become good professional ballers but it's the stronger ones and the younger ones with untapped potential which need to be protected from the AFL's salacious appetite.

Reply #280235 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

I found the article. It sends chills up my spine even now!

http://linky.com.au/43po9

Reply #280236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The AFL, the teams and the sport, come across as if unfettered access to the best Australian athletes (regardless of the sport) is their birth right.

It makes me sick. They should back off and other sports should have the nerve and the pride in their own sport to stand up to them and say back off.

It's about standing up for yourself. This is what disappoints me. We don't. We roll over and get beaten.

Our best athletes can play at the Olympics and at legitimate world championships at junior and senior level. The AFL cannot offer this.

Basketball Australia should release a statement saying "player x or player z is off limits and add that they are targeting AFL players to represent the Boomers at the Olympics.

Have some spunk and show some leadership...

Reply #280239 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

The big problem I see with the AFL at the moment is them creating a false economy. The figures they are reported to have paid for Hunt and Folau aren't realistic if true for a domestic competition.

Reply #280241 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Smart footy clubs should advertise a day for any elite basketballers to 'come and try'. (If they all went out together for a bit of footy results would be interesting. ) Heard of a few that would want to give it a go but would like a group to go?

Reply #280245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't Kurt Tippett a pretty promising young basketball player?

Reply #280250 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yers...and his sister is currently playing at the AIS.

Reply #280252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mitch creek would have to be number one on AFL clubs hit list... he would TEAR APART the AFL

Reply #280261 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Mitch Creek though is a potential basketball star in the making. He could yet be the legit 3-man that the Boomers have lacked since Sam Mackinnon.

But you are right, he has the athletic ability that could see him prosper in the AFL, however given his basketball talent, he could earn a lot more playing hoops overseas.

Reply #280284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek and Greenwood could both play at Under 19 Worlds next year in Latvia and then get drafted by Gold Coast or GWS.

That would be a big blow. Both would be on that list.

Reply #280286 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

They may get drafted but the small amount of money available in the AFL compared to basketball overseas (especially when you consider the fact they are already basketball standouts and would be taking a gamble on footy) means they would decline the invitation in my opinion.

Reply #280296 | Report this post

yo yo  
Years ago

doesn't the NCAA rules preclude pro sports / agents targeting their students?

Reply #280297 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

jake, the AFL are not creating a false economy. Hunt and Falau are beneficiaries of the AFL's largesse towards the two new clubs. The enormous marketing contracts they have been offered on top of their playing contracts will not be on offer again in 5 years time.

Other than that, the AFL, despite a number of clubs losing money, has more than enough resources and revenues streams to continue to pay is players well. The AFL's salary cap is nearly 8 million - thats not out of proportion to club revenues.

The difference between AFL and other professional sports around the world is that the difference between what the real stars are paid and the average player is paid is not nearly as big as it is elsewhere.

The NBA minimum is something like 450k, the maximum this season close to 23 million. AFL minimum is 65k and the top rumoured to be about 1 mil. Thats a mutliplier of 52 compared to 15 or so. The difference in major league baseball would be even bigger and premier league soccer would be similar.

Reply #280298 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I don't have any problem with the AFL targeting other sports for athletic talent. If they can offer a product and system more attractive to an individual, then so be it.

The individual will consider an offer on its merits, and make a choice in the interests of themself and their family.

Other sports need to recognise this, and take their own measures to retain their stars.

Reply #280300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PAul, I don;t think any of these kids would look at the AFL whilst at COllege or look to join the AFL even straight after college. THey would be 100pc focussed on earning mega bucks in Europe or the NBA. The reality is they won't get there in most cases so the AFL is just planting the seed.

Reply #280314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

similar article in the west about the WAFL targetting Sam Harris

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/wafl/7421280/falcons-move-on-recruiting-wildcat/

Reply #280418 | Report this post

xavier807  
Years ago

I know Mitch Creek, having lived in the same town as him and playing basketball locally with him, and I believe there is no chance that he will go for the AFL.

I played at the some footy club as he did, and he hasn't played for three or four years, so I doubt he would be interested in going to the AFL.

Reply #282108 | Report this post

M.Creek  
Years ago

Hey my names Mitch Creek and this is something alot of people are talking to me about... thing is...
AFL is and always will be a passion. We grow up in Australia watching two things.. NBA and AFL. Afl is more appealing in some ways but at this stage basketball is more a focus. Travelling the world as a young person playing and experiencing new things is something not to many come upon. Maybe in the future it may happen... You never know.. If the offers are there then surely there is always going to be a decision to make.
Cheers.

Reply #282938 | Report this post

Kevin .S.  
Years ago

Money Talks and being a coach in the AFL i know that the ammount of money being offered is far to great and the ready made rock-star life style!

Reply #295429 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:42 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754