Isaac
Years ago

Bulls deal Hinrich to Wizards, chase two max-contracts

The Chicago Bulls have a deal in place that would move Kirk Hinrich and the 17th pick to the Washington Wizards, freeing up enough cap space to pursue two maximum-salary players in this summer's free-agent market, sources with knowledge of the Bulls' plans said Thursday.
Apparently this is as good as done. Would put the Bulls on even footing with the Heat as a team with the capacity to take on two big names. More at ESPN

Topic #23208 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Interesting times at Chicago! New coach, and able to secure not one, but two max contract free agent!

Reply #280478 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

Eastern Conference Champions Chicago Bulls!

Finally they will be able to create new history for the club instead of only being associated with MJ (which isnt a bad thing tho)

Reply #280485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Derrick Rose, Luol Deng, Joakim Noah, Hakim Warrick and Taj Gibson is a great basis. Add two max contracts to that and we will have one eye on the Bulls all season long. Whether it's James or not.

Rose
Joe Johnson
Deng
Carlos Boozer
Noah

Gibson, Warrick and others on the bench. Pretty nice.

Reply #280518 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah, the Bulls certainly couldn't ask for a much better situation going into the upcoming FA bonanza. I think they will get at least one gun player out of Lebron, Bosh or Johnson. Boozer would be a nice consolation prize.

Reply #280590 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

I'm just sort of "thinking out loud" here, but wouldn't a player like LeBron, Bosh, Johnson, Boozer etc. prefer to sign with a team fill with mid-level role players, all able to contribute to a championship rather than being teamed with another superstar?

For example, If LeBron was to sign with say Chicago, and attract the signing of another max-deal player (such as Bosh), won't that have people questioning his ability to win a championship without elite help?
Examples would be thrown around about his consistent 60+ win team in Cleveland which (in theory) had all the pieces in place to win it all, but failed when it came to crunch time.

I guess what I am getting at is:
Wouldn't LeBron be providing a better image for his "legacy" if he was to move to Chicago (or New York, or anywhere really), and encourage 2nd tier players to join him and fill out a reliable roster?

Imagine in Chicago, who now have the space to sign 2 max deal players (plus assets to pull of a Sign-and-Trade for a 3rd) if LeBron could bring in:
- a Shooter (ala Ray Allen)
- a Defensive big man off the bench (think Ben Wallace/Tyson Chandler mould)
- a Solid backup PG, capable of coming off the bench to rest Rose (someone like a Farmar or Duhon)
- a Veteran Big Man (ala Drew Gooden)

In Chicago, they could essentially go 10 deep with players who can all contribute on a given night, without completely crippling themselves financially. It also keeps young assets plus reasonable contracts to use to facilitate trades for future picks etc.

Just a thought I had....

Reply #280636 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:08 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754