Jack Toft
Years ago

R14 ABA Action (Sunda)

Double header round this weekend - great for some!
North-South
M: Battle of the tin shed dwellers today. At least they don't seem to leak. South should back up a bit weary after their mauling at the hands of the Bearcats, so go in as underdogs. North to chalk up an easy win.
W: Both teams part of the logjam. North run the risk of going in off an easy win, South off a hard game. Reckon North will have more left in the tank and should cuise to a comfortable win.

Tigers-Lions
M: Battle for the wooden spoon. What’s going on with these teams? Unfortunately, Tigers can add that wooden spoon to the trophy cabinet. Just make sure it matches the new floor.....
W: Tigeresses looking good. If they knock off the Eagles on Saturday could be a bit cocky, but should be looking to hang up the cue at half time. Finals hope still alive come Sunday night. North likely to be on their tails.

'Cats-Flames
MOTR at the Port today.
M: Battle for top spot should go down to the wire. Refs will be under a lot of pressure. Last week saw Rupert up against a master coach – is it too early to add another coach to that group yet? Is anyone brave enough to catch Davo to put a muzzle on him? Narrowest of wins to ‘Cats.
W: Another great game. Bearcats should snuff the Flames out this game.

Warriors-Sabres
M: No import? Warriors dream run over. The Sabres will be as popular as Julia at a Rudd family BBQ this weekend. Sabres by plenty.
W: Warrior women might have snared a win against the Flamettes, but Sabre women still putting teams to the blade.

Mavs-Eagles
M: Hard double act for the Mavs men. "Make the bad men stop mummy!" is what I can hear them say in their nightmares on Sunday night. Eagles swoop on a Mavs outfit who will be calling for the weekend’s misery to stop.
W: Eagles cruising will send the finals hopes of the Lady Mavs tumbling after this game. Last roll of the dice for the Mavs will see a great game. Only a chorus of vuvuzelas will save the Mavs.

Topic #23219 | Report this topic

Filthy Mexican  
Years ago

No real surprises in the womens results:

Southern def. Centrals
North def. South
West def. Norwood (No Foley or Duke)
Sturt def. Woodville
Forestville def. Eastern

Reply #280695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The south v North womens game could have been closer if not a win for south if there was some consistancy in umpiring.

As for North, some of their junior players need to be reminded of good sportsmanship. There is no excuse for not shaking another players hand after a game. Especially when its your team that won!

Reply #280698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

west men won by about 25 poor showing from norwood

Reply #280700 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Joel Goodenough hits a tough drive to put Tigers up by one with 25 secs remaining, Centrals get up court and a missed shot means no cigar. Win to the south by a point. Tough game, well played by both teams.

Reply #280701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not the first time Ireland's officiating has brought the stadium to laughter. She is completely out of her depth.

Reply #280702 | Report this post

callisto43  
Years ago

She had the same problem Friday night in her Div 1 junior games. Good for a laugh if nothing else.

Reply #280703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

more concerned that she was with another referee in his first year

combined they haven't even reffed a season's worth of games. how bad is refereeing depth if that's the best BSA can provide.

Reply #280704 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

over confident over rated
BSA making decision that are hard to follow - never
depth is a concern - refs missing blantant fouls then guessing on make ups.

Reply #280707 | Report this post

Panther fan  
Years ago

How disgraceful to turn this into a ref bash. I don't believe the refereeing was good at the game but didn't cost the panthers. Norths shooting did. Had south adjusted to the shooters better they could have got the win.
At least with 2 young officials they had an evaluator like beams there to help their development rather than tell them how great a job they did. It also isn't the referees fault that there were the matchups there were I would love to know the reason those 2 officials were paired together. Lay off the refs they are victims of a situation and need a little Lea-way

Reply #280708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ireland is out of her depth in under 12's

Reply #280709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that someone from south under 12 girls complaining? Because it certainly sounds like it.

Reply #280712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah I am not, have had her interesting umpiring ruin my game before!!

Reply #280714 | Report this post

Over it  
Years ago

Ok, I did not see the game and do agree that the pair seem short on experience to do this game together but please do not abuse Nikki on here - I would say she is a promising junior official who is breaking her way in at this level and certainly does not need this kind of negative crap.

Reply #280715 | Report this post

Cleary this thread is now a waste of time. Out of all the talk of MOTR's you have to bag referee's. How come you dont bag other teams that should have won but yet there were big upset's or unexpected margins. But yet you big manly men that sit behind your screens have to bag a young promising female. And you now wonder why basketball lacks Referee's and female referee's at that. So if you think you can do a better job on an U12 game why dont you walk the walk instead of being a dork. Ive had enough to say cant wait for the last rounds before finals.

Reply #280716 | Report this post

Cleary this thread is now a waste of time. Out of all the talk of MOTR's you have to bag referee's. How come you dont bag other teams that should have won but yet there were big upset's or unexpected margins. But yet you big manly men that sit behind your screens have to bag a young promising female. And you now wonder why basketball lacks Referee's and female referee's at that. So if you think you can do a better job on an U12 game why dont you walk the walk instead of being a dork. Ive had enough to say cant wait for the last rounds before finals.

Reply #280717 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Oh well, another round, another thread off track!

Reply #280718 | Report this post

Shotclock  
Years ago

Whos complaining about the refs in the south vs North game?Some of the sharpest elbows playing in both those teams.They could do a Ninja Elbow Movie with Quentin Tarantino.

Anyway back on track apart from Bearcats Men def Flames by 21 points and Tigers v Lions what are some of the news from the other mens matches?Just to rub it in(no humility after losing to south last'brrr'nite)the Women slashed Flames 25 points missing Foley,Duke etal

Reply #280719 | Report this post

Phobos 79  
Years ago

everybody gets on here and bashes players every week why should referees be safe from criticism???

Reply #280723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was the one who posted the first comment, all I said was that had there been a little consistancy ,there would have been a large difference.
The same calls needed to be called at each end.
J Hill practically got away with murder

Norths shooting was excellent yes. And South did not adjust well to it, however the game could have been closer. There were a lot of instances where the ball was turned over because a very obvious foul was missed or just ignored.

Reply #280725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well you can rest assured that if this is the case, as panther said, John beames was the evaluator and would have done and said alot more to help these referees than what this pathetic bitching will ever do.

Reply #280741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt it, the evaluaators would have siad they were great and everybody else was wrong, because they are scared that if they give criticism the refs will quit.

Reply #280742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players cop criticism so why the hell shouldn't refs when they are bloody awful, cop the same? If this girl is one of our most promising ones, God help us.It's a joke that we have to pussy foot around crap umping performances because BSA think they'll quit.The only thing global protection for officials has done has given poor performing officials more scope to butcher games and boy are they good at that.

Reply #280743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because players are allowed to retaliate on here. Refs arent.
Refs can be critised but arent allowed to defend themselves.

Reply #280753 | Report this post

Filthy Mexican  
Years ago

Anon 753... do you really believe refs dont post on this site?
Another round for my friend at table 753 please!

Reply #280759 | Report this post

yeah dudes

Reply #280770 | Report this post

ease up  
Years ago

anon 280698

you have no idea, clearly.
you are obviosuly from south. stop complaining about the refs - you lost bcoz south are shit.

Reply #280771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ease up,

you are obviously one of the more stupid refs going around.

Reply #280775 | Report this post

Ranga  
Years ago

South are shit yet bet West the night before!!!!

Reply #280779 | Report this post

ease up  
Years ago

no i dont ref, just hate people bitching about refs all the time instead of blaming their team!

Reply #280782 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

Ranga,

and yet - south lost to woodville.

Reply #280784 | Report this post

hey hey  
Years ago

south lost to woodville. hence they aren't great this season. but they will develop, hopefully.

Reply #280787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South will be great they have so many juniors coming up they beat west. Also they have a great coaching staff. Give them time.

Reply #280795 | Report this post

Filthy Mexican  
Years ago

Why cant woodville be a growing side, they have beaten North and South granted these teams are not top 4 sides but still able to get some good results.
Woodville has the likes of Christie, Perkas, Richards all of whom are upcoming quality players, losing to woodville isnt the massive upset this year that it has been in recent times.
Woodville on a good night can run with almost any team in this league and dont deserve to be a wooden spoon benchmark anymore!

Reply #280796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South have more problems than that dud ref and its of their own making with the senior felines successful in getting another player to quit. It's a damn shame that Charlea's gone but understandable

Reply #280797 | Report this post

what!  
Years ago

where did charlea go??
or undecided

Reply #280800 | Report this post

??  
Years ago

Interested to know what happened here. She was never someone who lacked confidence (if anything, she had too much of it), so curious to know what's happened. Can anyone shed some light??

Reply #280822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Charlea has not left south, she is still playing reserves, 21s and Abl, she has asked for some family time during the season.

Reply #280823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about the umpiring decision at the end of the Men's game!!! Ball was tipped in after the final siren, both umpires were unsure if it counted so they went and asked the bench! Bench said yes so they counted the final bucket putting them up by 2 points!!! Surely the fairest way if both umpires are unsure would be to go OT? Even the North players and coaching staff were saying it shouldn't have counted!!! Disgraceful....

Reply #280834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

read your rules what the umpires did is correct scorebench are officials in the game and are to be consulted on such things if the umpires are unsighted or unsure - players etc are caught up in the moment and bench officials are trained to watch for those things

Reply #280844 | Report this post

hydra 93  
Years ago

Perhaps if bench officials were not home team officials some credibility may be gained.

Reply #280870 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Back 2 bball, did any1 see the mens woody V sturt game on sun? I heard it was a very gd game, close until sturt blew it out in the last 3-4 mins! Woodville men have been huge improvers this season!!

Reply #280871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt were without Daly/Maynard/Warbout 3 of there starting 5, so it wasn't a surprise to see Woodville were close.

Reply #280873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hydra - the bench chairperson is always an independent

Reply #280875 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Yes tru but woodies were without Wilson/mckay & Brink, arguably their 3 best! in their absence tho their was a small guard no# 21, neva seen hime b4?? but he stepped up and if it wasnt for Ng's amazing shooting in the 2nd half the game could have gone either way!!

Reply #280894 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What about: if it wasn't for Woodville scoring nine points in the fourth quarter?

Reply #280896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very arguably their best. Their 3 best would be Egel, Knight and Brink by most setimations. Wilson and McKay would in the next tier down. Still a great effort by them.

Reply #280897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beamesy one of, if not best eval going around. I'm a coach, not a ref.

Reply #280901 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

If Sturt didn't score more points than Woodville...

Reply #280910 | Report this post

young smart arse  
Years ago

1) If all the refs quit we wouldnt have any games at all. Umpiring is a hard job and not as easy as it looks from the sidelines. I admit i miss a lot of things in games but i am human and cant be everywhere and i will make mistakes, it does not mean the tunnel vision spectators can have a go. If you can do better be all means be my guest and give it a go, we always need more refs.

2) Who cares who was away. West had 7 PEOPLE for the Lions game and still won by 6. Missing two players should not make such a big difference in a game (specially a 25 point difference[talking about the West-Norwood game]).

Reply #281132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey ease up.

I think you should take your own advice and
ease up yourself!

Clearly you're from North and will jump at any chance to bag the teams you beat.

Reply #281133 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Suggest woody womens team be even better next year with further experience and changes.plenty up side.

Reply #281260 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:12 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754