Isaac
Years ago

BA partner with Spalding, new NBL ball this season

Basketball Australia is pleased to announce a new whole of sport partnership with Russell Corporation and their basketball brand Spalding in a multi-year deal that will see the sport supported by the international conglomerate.

Russell Corporation, world's largest basketball equipment maker and marketers of Spalding basketballs and backboards, will be the Official Game Ball supplier of Basketball Australia, NBL, WNBL and Australian Junior Championships.

Spalding will also have the exclusive rights to produce and sell a range of licensed basketballs, backboards and mini-backboards across Boomers, Opals, NBL and WNBL team properties including the official NBL Game ball.

Basketball Australia CEO, Larry Sengstock said "Spalding are a strong brand that will supply our teams and leagues with basketballs and have really impressed us with their commitment to build an exciting licensed product range for fans and participants and a commitment to market our great game."

“With the growing support of our partners we are developing a strong retail presence and an opportunity for people to connect with us through our Network Ten partnership and with Spalding and AND1 official team wear in stores."

Russell Corporation’s Managing Director Chris Lambert said “Spalding is delighted to be involved with Basketball Australia at all levels of the sport, from elite competition to the grass-roots participation program, Aussie Hoops."

“The NBA official game ball and backboard status has made Spalding synonymous with basketball globally. This partnership gives us the opportunity we have been waiting for to demonstrate our commitment to the sport locally” said Lambert.

Spalding is working with its American headquarters on a custom designed ball for the NBL that will be unveiled at the tip-off of the 2010 season on the 15th of October with a game between the Melbourne Tigers and the returning Sydney Kings.

“With a history of firsts dating back of the invention of the basketball, Spalding is committed to innovating and supporting the sport” Lambert said.

As per standard Basketball Australia policy, the financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.
Let's hope it's a little better received than the NBA's last game ball redesign.

Topic #23227 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

can we get rid of the beachballs

Reply #280749 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

At least BA has been able to get a ball sponsor! Another good step one would imagine, but I agree with Isaac, the ball design needs to be done right - I say get a few players involved in the process.

Reply #280751 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

is there a chance we could see a white panel on the ball or maybe some other sort of difference from the tradtional look?

Reply #280755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will Footlocker sign up as a BA/NBL sponsor next?

Reply #280756 | Report this post

Ranga  
Years ago

anaon, my sources say YES that footlocker have signed and that its going to be released shortly.

Reply #280769 | Report this post

JCK  
Years ago

Will this affect all levels of Basketball in Australia (i.e. South Australian District)

Reply #280801 | Report this post

Your Mum  
Years ago

I hope they come out with a nice new ball to replace these molton balls being used the last few years. I have become used to the molten and dont mind it now, when it came out i hated it. The spalding top flight 1000 (I think it was called) was the best ball ever, super grippy and a dream to handle.

recently played a social game with a spalding and every player on the court mentioned how good the ball was and how much better it was than the molten.

cant wait to see the new spaldings in district and social comps, RIP molten I will dance on your grave.

Reply #280815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes those TF-1000's were amazing, bring 'em back!!

Reply #280826 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Its cause the TF 1000 was actual leather, to buy a genuine leather molten NBL ball (NOT the synthetic one every kid on a district team has) costs around double the price and takes ages to break in, spalding FTW!

Reply #280929 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

My TF1000 is still going strong!

Reply #280933 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Love my TF 1000. Worn in beautifully..

Reply #280958 | Report this post

Tristan  
Years ago

What are you all on about? The Molten range is the best ball I have ever owned, the TF 1000 becomes super slippery as soon as it gets even a breath of sweat on it.
I have an offical NBA Spalding basketball this also has the same issue and has taken an extremely long time to break in.
I say keep the molten and it's unique design.

Reply #280962 | Report this post

lil aussie!  
Years ago

what are the new nbl spalding basketballs called?? do they sell them yet?

Reply #295276 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:37 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754