Isaac
Years ago

SMH editor: AFL is a dead-end, 'wasting' our athletes

SMH sports editor Stephen Samuelson recently wrote a piece that will surely get a few people offside: AFL is a dead-end sport that hinders us on global stage

Australia's most talented athletes are wasted in a code that the world ignores.
If you love this [sport at an International level] you must wish that the AFL's grand ambitions to dominate the Australian sporting landscape are thwarted.

It's a zero-sum game. The more AFL succeeds, the smaller the talent pool of the athletes available for international competition.
Take a read first and then post your thoughts here. Does he have a valid point, is it linkbait, or something in between?

Topic #23229 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

The writer is a Sydneysider with a passion for rugby who has authored a few books on rugby. Therefore I read into that a love to hate of everything AFL.

He is right in saying that the AFL deliberately targets the best athletes - but which sport wouldnt?

I think athlete education is therefore the most important thing - make the athletes aware of their development pathways in relevants sports, therefore knowing the AFL will not lead them to international stardom, there will be no World Championship and certainly no Olympic Games.

I think most other sports, basketball included, should learn a lot from the AFL in how it targets and then develops talent. However unlike the AFL, basketball does not have the financial war chest to support such an endeavour.

Also if comparing rugby with the AFL, rugby is a fragmented fraternity with no one governing body or commission like the AFL. This is why the development of the NRL lags well behind the AFL and subsequently why a lot of northerner's get their nose out of joint with the AFL.

That's enough ramble for now...

Reply #280763 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He is right, but so what, that is the reality of our country. Rugby league isnt really an international game either.

But the truth be told (from an Aussie rules person) is that there arent that many world class athletes in the AFL. Certainly there are some, probably 2-3 dozen, but I dont think the loss is as big as is made out when you consider how many sports those guys would be spread across.

Basketball has similar male participation to Aussie rules, so imagine how diluted the NBL talent pool would be if there were 50-odd teams (600 players which is similar to the AFL) even if all overseas based players were in the NBL.

That gives you an idea of the level of talent in the AFL once you start going down each clubs list past their stars.

Reply #280765 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

It's an argument that ignores a hell of alot of relevant facts. It assumes that players have an ultimate goal of international stardom and success - the fact is football clubs have such a strong social and community element and together with most players' genuine love of the game itself, why would they be looking for greener pastures?

Looking at the flipside, you could say that the AFL is so successful in attracting and retaining athletes DESPITE only being played in Australia. Says alot for the game and how it is managed.

And the salary cap argument - Melbourne Storm anyone?

Not a measured article in any way, shape or form. Probably not intended to be either.

Reply #280768 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

At what ages do you think prospects factor international pathway over financial pathway? Would young children favour the idea of representing their country while teens might like the idea of getting a good salary from a broader pool of local jobs?

An NBLer might have a great selection of jobs going in other leagues, but they're also competing against a huge pool of athletes. In Australia, an AFL prospect generally isn't losing his spot to an American out of college or a Euro kid, as might happen to a basketball player in Europe.

Reply #280785 | Report this post

uknowme  
Years ago

AFL, the only game in the world where you get rewarded for missing the goal.

Reply #280786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you don't need to be an elite athlete to play AFL. It's not a necessity. The AFL doesn't NEED the best athletes because they play one sport in one country. International Athletics NEEDS the best athletes.

If you want to win a 100m Gold Medal, you have to be an elite sprinter...you don't need to be an elite sprinter to play AFL.

Reply #280788 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

I think I remember reading that Shane Crawford had the third best 800m time in Australia circa 2000 Olympics so maybe they can play footy and represent Australia!

Reply #280790 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

As Paul said, the guys argument is solid but so what. The issue is money here in Australia and right now, if you are an average athlete in any professional sporting league, and you want to make a buck, you are better off doing that in AFL - you have a) a better chance statistically of making it and b) a better chance of pulling a good salary.

The stupid thing in this country is girls choosing netball over basketball. They have miminimal chances of making a good income, can certainly not play overseas in any decent leagues and suplement a lifestyle, and they have no limited prospects for representing their country in genuine international competition.

Reply #280792 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Does this mean Steve Hooker can get a Geelong jumper when Ling retires?

Reply #280794 | Report this post

Starks  
Years ago

I guess you could argue that a young athlete who chooses to play football (soccer), rugby, basketball, tennis, motor racing, whatever, rather than AFL will then benefit from more junior coaching etc and may have a greater chance of becoming a successful international player. If you are a talented athlete playing an international sport you should be overseas by the time you are 17 or 18 anyway. We simply cannot match the money and wealth of training knowledge that is available overseas, and never will be able to. AFL appeals for it's social and tribal aspects. Have a kick and a few beers with your mates...

Reply #280802 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Bringing this back to basketball in a way, why wouldn't talented young athletes head to football

Football: 22 Players on each team and currently 16 teams = 352 Players at national level

Basketball: 10-12 players on each team and currently 8-9 teams = 108 Players at National Level

Pathways into National League 3 to 1. So for every 1 player that is lucky enough to make it into the national league for basketball 3 are making the AFL.

I'm surprised more talented U18 basketball players don't leave the game and head to footy. At this age they are normally already at their max height and any player around 6ft4 and above would have to wonder if football is the better solution. Ok so basketballers generally dont kick the ball very well but our hand eye coordination is quite good.

Something to think about: How many basketballers go from top age 18s straight into NBL and How many top age 18s go straight into AFL. A lot more than 3 to 1.

Reply #280804 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

Actually Flinders80, your maths is wrong. 22 players on the field each week, but I think there are something like 40 on an AFL team's roster. Tilts the scales even further towards AFL!

Reply #280809 | Report this post

lotum  
Years ago

3 boys just graduated today AIS AFL academy in Sam Day, Chad Wingard and Jack Hombsch all good basketballer turned into the best 30 kids representing AFL. The AFL did not mind these boys playing both sports but had to make the choice more opportunities, better career paths and less politics and a mandatory 8 week break between season.

Reply #280811 | Report this post

ok  
Years ago

Gazza you are right. However I was trying to make the comparison with a basketball team. 10-12 players in basketball team but the squad is bigger. Just like footy. 22 on game day and squad is bigger. My point still stands though.

Reply #280812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An average AFL wage is $220,000, compared to the NBL, what $50,000...

Ten year career at around 220k or a few years on the NBL at 50k plus the connections and notoriety made through footy, give me a break please.

Reply #280856 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Average NBL = approx $80-85,000 at the moment, in recent years was prob around $110-120,000. Hard to be exact due to 3rd party deals.

Reply #280857 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

What some posters have failed to acknowledge is there are opportunities to earn very good money playing basketball overseas - soemthing you can not do as an AFL footballer. Therefore limiting the argument between just the AFL and NBL is not a terue indication of the opportunities available to good basketballers overall.

Reply #280859 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

If you love a sport.....play it. If you get paid for playing a sport you love....then you are admired by those who cant.

The AFL is no different to Grid Iron in America in the sense this guy is waffling on about so he shouldnt limit his verbal diarrhea directly at the AFL.

I dont see the problem. These athletes make their decisions on the sport they want to play and they get paid, often very well, to do that. If the individual is smart it can set them up for the rest of their lives.

I dont see a problem with the AFL, NFL or any other league like it that doesnt gain international notoriety. Its about what makes these individuals happy.

Reply #280860 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Also, what about the links from AFL to the NFL, ala Ben Graham, Sav Rocca....could be argued?! :-)

Reply #280862 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

TORNADO ,gridiron is played in the USA a country that has the population of almost 300million people.The US can have 10 sports like afl and with that population all would prosper.

Reply #280864 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

LC, if you're in the upper tier. There are cheaper leagues, but then again there are also other leagues (country, etc) playing Australian Rules and paying players.

Reply #280877 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Fair point Isaac. But still, there are leagues paying decent enough money to easily survive on.

Reply #280879 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Ringlord, I think you are missing the point? The discussion is surrounding international exposure. It doesnt matter how big the American market it is, the game at that level is only played in America, which is no different to the AFL, therefore, no international exposure or opportunities to represent your country against other countries - thats the point.

Reply #280881 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

I completely agree with the article. Im pro football and basketball (proper football that is, the world game) and i have not come across anyone that wouldnt like to see the world cup come here in 2022 except for the AFL. I remember Eddie came out and said "its all too hard, why bother" its only too hard because the AFL doesnt want to accommodate for any other code out there because they know they are a dead end and if we did get the world cup we would see a lot more of the younger generation interested and the AFL cant have that because they dont give a stuff.

Dont get my wrong i dont mind watching the AFL i just hate their selfishness, and it will be their downfall

Reply #280886 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

LC, as I said earlier, the competition for those leagues is likely beyond what you'd face trying to get a gig in either the AFL or other related leagues that pay enough to live off.

Reply #280887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They still haven't attracted a total stud from Basketball. I think Watts and Pendlebury were the closest shots at possibly playing for the Boomers, Watts moreso.

AFL have a saturated market here in Australia - they really can't go anywhere. Even their push into Sydney and the Gold Coast won't mean the death of other sports. Their logic of luring Folau and Hunt may seem OK, but I wouldn't watch Rugby League or Union just because Garry Ablett jnr decided to play the sport because it offered him more $$. NSW and Queensland are still very much NRL states and it will take years and generationd to change this.

Basketball has an International flavour and leagues in Europe and South and North America- the AFL doesn't have this so we have a small win for basketball. As a sport, at junior levels, we need to keep pushing this. You can get a free University education in the US, you can see and experience some wonderful things in your life if you choose basketball....that's our positive...

Obviously, the NBL and BA need to create opportunities for more Australians to play the sport at a high level and get well paid to do it. The great players will always go to the NBA or high European leagues (like soccer) but the rest should be given incentives to stay here and help re-build the NBL brand..

Reply #280890 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

i think if there was more opportunity in basketball it would drawthose players who play at a high level at both Football and Basketball. with football there is a lot more opportunities, in state teams everything is payed for but with basketball you have to fork out money just to compete in championships. i enjoy basketball more but once under 18s finished there was nothing further to continue basketball. AFL has alot more opportunity to make it. basketball needs more opportunties if they want to draw in those multi talented people who are on the boarder of choosing their sport.

Reply #315045 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:31 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754