Moses Guthrie
Years ago

All-time Boomers team - by position

Got in an interesting conversation with someone today about who is the all-time best Boomers team by position. Without a lot of thought, I fired off:

PG Phil Smyth (Patrick Mills well on his way though)
SG Andrew Gaze (no-one else even close)
SF Eddie Palubinskas (r/up Andrew Vlahov)
PF Ray Borner (r/up Mark Bradtke)
C Andrew Bogut (r/up Luc Longley)

Thoughts and comments, folks?

Topic #23238 | Report this topic

nvth  
Years ago

Luc longley instead of bogut

Reply #280914 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

ray borner ffs ??

thanks for the effort ray but .....(borner from the corner)

Reply #280915 | Report this post

Your Mum  
Years ago

PG - Mills/Heal
SG - Gaze/Newley
SF - Palubinskas/Vlahov
PF - Neilson/Ronaldson
C - Bogut/Longley

Reply #280924 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Longley hardley played for the Boomers. Are we talking best Aussia players by position, or most outstanding who actually performed for the Boomers?

Bradtke at the centre position, played about 6 or 7 major tournaments. Vlahov just for getting in Karl Malone's face in 96.

Reply #280935 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Smyth
Gaze
Ronaldson
Vlahov
Bradtke

In 5 years..

Mills
Gaze
Newley
Bradtke
Bogut

Reply #280959 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

My team is based on players who played a lot of games in Australian colours...

Phil Smyth
Andrew Gaze
Eddie Palubinskas
Andrew Vlahov
Mark Bradtke

Unlucky: Sam Mackinnon, Tony Ronaldson, Shane Heal and Wayne Carroll.

Reply #280961 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Me and a mate had a discussion at the game - who would you rather - Heal or Mills - we both said Heal ... I know I was shocked too.

Reply #280970 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

You must have had a few too many...

Reply #280971 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Longley played 3 Olympics and a WC! While he did miss a few tournaments that is still a decent contribution. Mills is still far too raw to think about as an all time great, but you would imagine with time he will challenge Heal for the pg spot.

My best by position:

C: Longley, Bogut, Borner
PF: Bradtke, Ronaldson, Nielsen
SF: Vlahov, Mackinnon, Davies
SG: Gaze, Palubinskas
PG: Heal, Smythe, Bruton

Reply #280997 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

At last someone has got Eddie Palubinskas in his proper position. Saw him play in the SA vs Vic challenge at Apollo stadium prior to the 1972 Olymoics. Certainly one of the purest shooters I have ever seen. He was definately a Shooting Guard at 6'2" and far too small to be listed as a small forward. The only way you could have them both in the same starting 5 would be to have Gaze play at SF.

Those older members of the Forum may recall the after game address by Werner Linde and the attempted response by Lindsay Gaze. Perhaps the modern day passion of 36ers supporters was born that night.

Reply #281034 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

PG - Heal/Mills
SG - Gaze/Maher ... last Jason Smith
SF - McKinnon/Vlahov/Ronaldson
PF - Bradtke/Andersen
C - Bogut/Longley/Anstey

Reply #281055 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I think there were 10 Vics selected by Lindsay Gaze for the 72 olympic team that couldn't beat a South Australian team.

Reply #281066 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

"I think there were 10 Vics selected by Lindsay Gaze for the 72 olympic team that couldn't beat a South Australian team."

at the AOC website - http://www.olympics.com.au/news.cfm?ArticleID=6612

"Of the twelve Australian players in Munich, eleven represented Victorian clubs and the other came from South Australia."

BUT I'm certain that the SA vs VIC game at Apollo where Linde spoke and Gaze was shut down by the crowd, was in 1976, where (I think) there were 9 Vics in the OZ team, 6 from melbourne tigers, and Ken Richardson played for SA. Cos I think I drove out of the stadium that night , & I did not have a licence in 72 ;-).

If you are talking about players who actually performed in the Green and gold, and you are going to put Bradke into PF, then Sengstock trumps Nielsen easily. Ronaldson remains if only for his 3pter and defence to get us over - was it brazil ?

C: Longley, Bogut, Borner
PF: Bradtke, Sengstock, Anstey
SF: Vlahov, Mackinnon, Ronaldson,
SG: Gaze, Palubinskas, - gap - Andy Blikavs
PG: Smythe, C J Bruton

there are a few players who did put on the uniform , but just did not get a fair chance to shine, due to injury or "coaches decision" this is really obvious in the guards. where Werner Linde, Michael Johnson, Ken Cole , David Graham (inj), Bret Maher, Cal Bruton, Danny Morseau (inj), would have been pushing themselves into the list if they had been given as much time and support by the coach as Perry Crosswhite, Nielsen, Jason Smith and even Shane heal got in their time.

I sill can't get Smith and Nielsen being captains of Australian teams, at least we never had to have heal.

Reply #281095 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

"very old" is correct, the SA vs Vic team was prior to the 1976 Olympics. The Victorian team consisted of the 10 Victorian Olympians - Ian Watson, Robbie Cadee, Tony Barnett, Eddie Palubinskas, Michael Tucker, Perry Crosswhite, Russell Simon, Peter Walsh, John Maddock, Ray Tomlinson

The SA Team contained Andrew Campbell and Andris Blicavs from the Olympic 12 and included Phil and David Smyth, Werner Linde, Ken Richardson, etc.

One of the reasons Gaze gave for the Vics losing was that Campbell and Blicavs would be in the Olympic starting 5.

Reply #281105 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Love these old stories - keep them coming!

Reply #281162 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Ronaldson hit the 3 and got fouled for the 4 point play late in the game against a Croatian team featuring NBA stars Toni Kukoc and Dino Radja.

Reply #281169 | Report this post

Your Mum  
Years ago

Is it me or when did Bradtke ever play PF for the Boomers???

Reply #281173 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

1988, 1990, 1992 and 2000. Basically whenever Longley played.

Reply #281174 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:54 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754