AK-47
Years ago

Paul Pierce to opt out of deal

saw this on nba.com as well as yahoosports. interesting considering he's forfeiting 21.5 million that he's guaranteed next year. cant see to many teams wanting to throw a big enough deal to lure him away from boston.

does he resign or head elsewhere?

http://linky.com.au/jhxtg

Topic #23254 | Report this topic

Chewy  
Years ago

imo, the only reason Pierce has opted out is because he's looking to move. Ray Allen is likely leaving Boston, Perkins is apparently 6 months away from playing again, and KG is getting older. Rondo and their bench isn't a championship calliber team. Pierce has made lots of money over his career, and he is someone who would take a paycut to get on a winner. Would not be surprised to see Pierce leave the Celtics in the off-season.

Reply #281126 | Report this post

Junga  
Years ago

He will re-sign with the Celtics for a deal that is worth slightly more than his current deal but runs longer.

He's also probably doing this to avoid being a free agent next off-season, which looks likley to be heading to another lock-out. The new CBA will probably make it impossible for anyone to be able to sign a contract like the one he will sign this off-season.

Reply #281141 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

And Amare Stoudemire has also opted out...

Reply #281145 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Yes, players on their last year are definitely worried about the lockout. It seems they will be happy to make less next year in order to sign a longer contract that gets them more over the long term. Richard Jefferson might opt out FFS! He is set to earn $15m next year. I doubt he'd even get that over a 3 or 4 year contract!

Reply #281146 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Doc Rivers has just announced he's returning to the Celtics, fwiw,

Reply #281149 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Rumour is New Jersey may go after him if they don't land one of the big 3 or 4 FA. If not he will sign with Boston again. Ray Allen has suggested it depends on whether Pierce signs again with Boston as to wheter he will stay with them again or move on.

Reply #281151 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kevin Brooks on his Inside the Game Facebook page:

Yo, how many ballers get to start, win a title and finish their careers with the same team.....who happens to be the most winningest title-holder in NBA history? Therefore I can't see 'The Truth' leaving Boston! It's just an attempt to get a better contract with the Celtics!! Why would you leave? J-Fry you're hallucinating thinking PP is heading back to LA to play with the Clips! Time for bed Bro!! Holla!

Reply #281156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wade, Pierce and bosh at the heat.

Reply #281167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a C's fan i hope he stays on a deal thats good for both parties. Just not the same if he played somewhere else.

Reply #281172 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

I hope he is opting out simply to restructure a new contract. With Doc staying I think the Celtics are going to give it one more season before blowing it up which hopefully indicates PP remains a Celtic. If Doc had left I wouldn't have been so sure on PP staying.

Reply #281179 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

If I were the Celtics I wouldn't be offer PP the a max contract for 4 yrs at his age. The Celtics would be better off trying to a younger superstar eg Lebron or Wade.

A hard decision given PP loyality to the club but a smart business move IMO. I reckon they will regret the length of his deal at those $$$ if it proceeds.

Reply #281190 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Its not so much the possibility of a lockout that has players running, its the type of contracts that will be presented under the new agreement. Ideas that have been suggested include non-guaranteed contracts for all players, or maximum term of 3 years only.

So by opting out now, Pierce leaves $21M on the table, but would hope to sign a 4-5 year deal guaranteed for $60-70M - which survives no matter what happens with the new CBA. And if the Celtics don't want to re-sign him, I am sure someone like the Clippers wil pay that amount.

Obvioulsy the agent for Richard Jefferson has got strong indications from somewhere that he will be offered a 4-5 year deal worth much more than the $15M he is giving up. Maybe $8M per year?

Aside from base salary, there are other sources of income for an NBA player - a % of all revenue made from merchandise (basketball cards, t-shirts etc) gets divided up evenly amongst the NBA Players Association; Extra bonuses from Playoff participation; NBA Superannuation or pension;

So the longer a player is in the league, the more he can potentially earn outside of his base salary. And with the possibility of non-guaranteed contracts in 2011/12, 5 years guaranteed looks pretty good right now.

Reply #281196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dudes opting out is all about the projected lock-out next year. Pierce will forfeit his 21 million this season but will look to sign a 4 year, 90 million dollar deal to see him secure in the event of the lockout.

Here are my guesses on where everyone will land.

Joe JOHNSON - New York @ max salary
Ray ALLEN - Chicago on a 3-year deal
Paul PIERCE - Re-sign with Boston
Lebron JAMES - Chicago Bulls on 6-year deal
Dirk NOWITZKI - Re-sign with Dallas
Dwyane WADE - Re-sign with Miami
Amare STOUDEMIRE - New York @ max salary with Johnson
Richard JEFFERSON - Any team who will pay him $12m+
Chris BOSH - Miami with Wade on max salary.

Reply #281205 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Kenton can't get 6 years from Chicago unless it's a sign and trade...

Reply #281212 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Damn iPhone.. Lebron lebron lebron.

Reply #281213 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Haha!

Reply #281216 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Holy molybdenum! Enter David Pogue.

Reply #281221 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

You could at least fix it.....

Reply #281222 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Ha ha, nice one Bo....

Reply #281229 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

TR, then my laughing and Bo's post and DB5's post would lack context...

Reply #281233 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Talk about taking one for the forum :)

Reply #281235 | Report this post

E  
Years ago

Chewy are you saying Rondo isnt good enough to play in a championship??? If that is your point clearly you have NO IDEA!!! did u even watch the playoffs?

If there was no KOBE, Rondo would have had the finals MVP in the bag.

Reply #281265 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Kenton's Jersey

Reply #281268 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

F*****s............ :)

Isaac, give hereschenes a ball....

Reply #281297 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

lol... thanks. I think.

Reply #281344 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Pierce is set to stay in Boston for 4 years on $61 million.

Reply #281414 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:37 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754