paul
Years ago

AJ Ogilvy signs in Turkey

AJ Ogilvy has signed with Besiktas in Turkey, the team the Brad Newley played for (and allegedly had trouble getting money out of) in the Turkish BEKO and Eurocup.

I believe Besiktas are in the qualifiers to again play in the Eurocup next season.

Topic #23283 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Although I would have loved to have seen him play fro a Euroleague side straight away, this could be good for Ogilvy to showcase he has what it takes to be a very good pro big man in Europe - a potential stepping stone to bigger and better things.

Eurobasket Link: http://linky.com.au/za710

Reply #281479 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Signing with a Euroleague would have been a bad move in my opinion, as those teams tend to play rookie imports only sparingly while they adjust to the physical style of play.

At Besiktas he gets to play in a good league in Turkey as well as (hopefully) the Eurocup which is a comparable level to the NBL playoffs. If he can excel there then the big Euro clubs will come knocking.

Reply #281490 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

Maric is a good example. Did it tough in Spain, then excelled in Serbia and now he's being rumoured to go to every big club in Europe...

Reply #281515 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Aleks has shunned the rumours though and resigned with Partizan.

Reply #281517 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

RE goddamn SIGNED.

NOT resigned (quit)

Reply #281594 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You cant quit 'with' a team, you can quit 'from' a team. Pretty self-explanatory.

Reply #281612 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

Self explanatory or contradictory?

Reply #281614 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Much of the English language is contradictory, Sector 7G, this is but one glaring example. The word resign has many meanings in English, two of which include:

To give up an office or position.

To renew or extend a contract.

http://linky.com.au/0865l

It is the latter which is most often used in sporting parlance. An intelligent person can usually glean the correct meaning from the context.

You appear to be advocacing the use of a hyphen to differentiate the latter from the former. There is no obligation to do so in terms of being linguistically correct. You are merely trying to impose your personal preference upon others.

paul has proven himself to be a highly literate poster and journalist and is the wrong target for your grammar crusade. God knows there are far more worthy targets for your ire posting here every day.

Reply #281634 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

advocating^

Reply #281635 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

Yes I am advocating the use of the hyphen and as I interpret your link above, so is Dictionary.com

I think you are confused by their use of the hyphen in their definition of re-sign and thier use of a seperator in the word "resign" where the seperator is used to clarify pronunciation.

Dictionary.com goes on to highlight that the two "Can be confused: ?re-sign, resign"

Your defence of Paul as as admirable as it is touching, but if paul is a journalist he will surely know he is WRONG.

Reply #281645 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

FFS - who really cares?

We all know he is returning to Partizan!

Reply #281650 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I also know that people who spend time picking out others' grammar mistakes on internet forums have some issues. How do you go reading texts?

Reply #281651 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

Aahhh. Personal abuse.
So you admit you are wrong.
Nice.

Reply #281656 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Kudos, Sector 7G, Mea Culpa. The seperator and the hyphen do appear to be slightly different lengths. Don't get me wrong, I too would use the hyphen were I writing the word but I see it so often without, that it just seems moot. Especially with all the should of's and your instead of you're that I see posted every day, to use but two examples that are like nails on a chalkboard to me.

But perhaps you are right to expect more from journalists. Poor paul, I still luv ya!

Reply #281657 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

I'll sleep well tonight. :)

Reply #281658 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If I wrote 'thier' instead of their, 'as' instead of is, and 'seperator' instead of separator, I would not be demanding of others' use of the English language! I think forums should be free from want-to-be English teachers!

Back to Maric, Panathinaikos are apparently keen to acquire him from Partizan, but the Serbian club is asking for one million Euros to release him from his contract.

Reply #281668 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

journalist hey?

Reply #281671 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Touché, paul!

Reply #281675 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I think it is actually "wannabe English teachers" there paul..

; )

Reply #281679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1 + 1 = window

Reply #281709 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

Paul, If you wrote 'thier' instead of their, 'as' instead of is, and 'seperator' instead of separator I would think you were ignorant.

When you write resign instead of re-sign I just think you are wrong.

Reply #281730 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:43 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754