aussieboomers4eva
Years ago

Maric Declines Boomers Invite

Bad news for the Boomers. Maric claims to have a knee injury. It could, however, be sour grapes as he allegedly would prefer to represent Serbia but has not been cleared by BA to do so.

http://linky.com.au/ih89h

Topic #23290 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh well we've got bigs coming out of our a..aha ha Hi Kids!

Reply #281559 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

born and bred in australia.......would prefer to play for Serbia??
tell him to stick it up his ..hi kids!!!

Reply #281563 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

This is really bad news as he is a form player at his position, and with Bogut he would have been our starter at centre.

I hope it is not sour grapes, and if it is, his international career could be over and he may never get a chance to play in a World Championship or Olympics.

Reply #281564 | Report this post

jawoi  
Years ago

born and breed in australia and have played for Emus alongside Bogut.

now, he has some alibis not to. maybe because he was snubbed consecutively. now it his personal decision to follow his heart. you cannot play with heavy heart.

Reply #281581 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

WTF? Play with a heavy heart????

Reply #281584 | Report this post

WTF  
Years ago

Why is balls not on the team at SF or PF ?

Reply #281587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia's own fault

Reply #281591 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

How is it Australia's fault? Playing for your country is a privilege, not a right.

Reply #281597 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

There was no way he should have made the 08 team. Last year he wasnt selected, probably incorrectly, but his form in Europe was average. IF that is his reason, he needs to man up.

However, he may just need rest for his knee, as he never got back to top form after he injured it. I am not going to hang him without knowing the full story.

No way Australia should release him though, he is a product of our system and is now reaping the rewards of his excellent grounding (as well as his own hard work) via a big new contract with Partizan.

Reply #281610 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

WTF, obviously not rated as much by Brett Brown as by 36ers fans. At that position, I've heard that consensus amongst some is that Redhage (love him or hate him) is the better option.

Reply #281620 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

There's no way Maric could have made the '08 squad as he never played for Goorg' in the NBL ;)

Perhaps he does not want to spend his international career playing second fiddle to Bogut when he could be "the man" for Serbia. There's no point in playing hard ball though as BA would not, nor should, release him.

Reply #281626 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Totally agree - BA should not approve his release to play for Serbia let alone for any other country.

Reply #281628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

surely once you've played for a country you can't play for another one...He's played for the Boomers, so his basketball nationality is Australian...surely...

Reply #281673 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Maric hasn't yet played for the Boomers but has represented Australia at FIBA tournaments at junior levels. Therefore, you ae correct, his basketball nationality is Australian and he cannot represent any other nation without clearance from BA to do so.

Reply #281680 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Yeah, I thought that if you played for one country in an official FIBA competetion your allegiance was decided and you could not play for another country.

Honestly, would he even make the Serbian squad though?

They are extremely deep at the Center postition. They have Nenad Kristic, Darko Milicic, Kosta Perovic (7"2), Boban Marjanovic (7"3-plays for CSKA Moscow)and Zoran Erceg (plays for Olympiacos)

Reply #281681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe its not a basketball decision, maybe he just wants to chase some new fresh tail in serbia??

Reply #281682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who cares if the low life wants to play for serbia (haahaha) the let him. I dont rate Maric that much either. A centre should be rebounding the ball. Maric Struggles.

Reply #281687 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

I'm not sure that you could classify 7.3 rpg in 23.5 mpg over 57 games in Europe in this last season, including 8.4 rpg in 18 Euroleague matches as "struggling".

The fact of the matter is that were he available (and Bogut, of course, remained unavailable) he would likely be the Boomers starting centre at the WC's. His absence, regardless of anyone's personal opinions of him, makes us weaker.

Reply #281689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Umm if I remember correctly Maric was shunned over these two players: Wade Helliwell and Russel Hinder for a 2006 WC Roster spot. This could make any half normal player want to jump ship and be bitter. That is a disgrace of a pick and I too would be pissed about it, would I change countries, prob not, but I would be majorly pissed. There's your answer. Maric did not try out for the 2008 Olympic team as he was entering the NBA draft and going through all that hoopla. Thank you kiddies.

Reply #281987 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Back in 2006, Aleks Maric was a college basketball player at Nebraska...he was nowhere near ready for the WC's at that stage.

Reply #281989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And? Bogut made it as a College player in 2004 olys. Aaron Bruce made it in 06. All Im saying is Maric got overlooked whilst Hinder and Helliwell both made the team? Common seriously Hinder and Helliwell. You have no argument.

Reply #282035 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The argument is that Maric played in the lead-up games and wasnt very good. Realistically, I think he probably have been picked in hindsight, but with Bruce, Worthington, Newley, Barlow, Bruce, Kickert and Kendall in the team as inexperienced young players, Goorjian obviously wanted some experienced frontcourt guys to back up Bogut and Mackinnon.

Like I said, I think Maric probably should have been picked, but he didnt deserve to make the team, it would have been only for the sake of future development, and he would have sat on the bench as he wasnt up to that standard.

Reply #282046 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:56 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754