Antiques roadshow
Years ago

Each clubs heritage

What is your clubs heritage? I.e. Woodville came from cheltenham in the late 70s based around st clair. However there was a prior woodville club at st clair. Cheltenham came from 2 church clubs - baptist and congreational. Did you know there was a port adelaide team ?

Topic #23309 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the Tigers lineage is something like this -

Tigers part came from - Budapest Tigers, Glenelg Tigers, Noarlunga City Tigers, Southern Tigers.
Southern part came from - Southern Celtics, Southern Districts who I think merged with Adelaide BC to become Adelaide Southern Suns, then the merge with NCT to become Southern Tigers.

Reply #281823 | Report this post

w  
Years ago

According to Southern's new honour board they only started in 2004 when the merger went through. An absolute disgrace ... Would it have been to much effort to do some research and carry through past life members and acheivements?

Reply #281837 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I played for Chelt bapt in the ole days
while Vera RIP was at Chelt cong.
Some went to United Church now Sturt
I seem to recall watching Nagys playing for Budapest
Danciss playing for A.S.K and C.Y. playing at Forrestville. From there, a little jolt of Apollo - where Ken Cole brought the house down.

Reply #281838 | Report this post

ogb  
Years ago

North Adelaide started as the Panthers in 1939. They were named after a motorbike of the era because their first sponsor sold Panther motorbikes and gave them a large Panther banner. The Club changed its name to North Adelaide in the early 1950's and used the nickname -"the Roosters". "Roosters" was changed to "Rockets" in the early 1980's when the North had a team in the WNBL. "Roosters" was not considered appropriate for a women's team.
In the 1950's several clubs changed their names to that of district footbal clubs in an attempt to get the two sports aligned.
North shared the old Bowden stadium with West until 1972 when the 'new' Hillcrest stadium was built.

Reply #281839 | Report this post

6ers Fan  
Years ago

W - the honour board from Tigers is still at the club as are Uniforms from both merged clubs. Its a matter of where to display now the new building incorporates the old club rooms where there was plenty of wall space. There are windows not walls and as it is Southern Tigers now it IS appropriate to have the new club board up. But I guess the truth takes away another chance to Southern bash?

Reply #281841 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I played a few games for , I think we were called West Torrens, - now the Eagles who merged with West Adelaide to be the Sixers in NBL - I think.
Some is a little vague , with the clubs aligning names with SANFL names.

Reply #281842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

W it's better the way it is. The people that made Glenelg and then Noarlunga City Tigers the power it was would be disgusted to have their club associated with this "new" club

Reply #281844 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sounds like Southern can't win. Don't honour the past and they offend someone, honour the past and they offend someone.

Reply #281845 | Report this post

How pissweak that a club is sniped in a simple discussion of club heritage.

Having been a part of s footbsll club merger, i know the difficulties in honouring the past and beginning the new, but 6ers fan is correct, the new clubrooms have a lot more glass, hence the problem.

I do believe that life members of former clubs should be granted life membership of the new club, and should have their names put up on the board. Hopefully southern rectify this issue soon.

Reply #281853 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Woodville are 30 years old this sept
Camel 31 might be able to confirm
not sure if was port adelaide basketball club as such bearcats brought basketball to the port not sure when but there history is very deep

Reply #281897 | Report this post

hey  
Years ago

There definately was a Port Adelaide Basketball Club because I played for them and it played out of St.Ives which is Pt.Adelaide Recreation Centre. But I cant remember if West Adelaide were there as well or if Port Adelaide merged their players into Bearcats because thats who I then played for as a junior.

Reply #281902 | Report this post

point taken  
Years ago

Port Adelaide folded I believe too much ructions from within, they did at times as Port Adelaide telstars attempt to get into District Women back in the day of pro/rel Danny McLeavy and at least two of his daughters Debbie and Chris played for them with Danny coaching from distance memory. Chris married the other Phil Smyth (Glenelg in those days) Debbie married Frank Arsego, Debbie I can recall playing for west.

If you have been around basketball for long enough you will realise that there have been clubs come and go, some have joined together and become stronger very few clubs have retained the one identity through BSA history even the assocation has gone through about five name changes.

Reply #281907 | Report this post

dog 35  
Years ago

Referring to the the post ( 281823) about "Budapest Tigers" earlier Southern Tigers were in the 60's and 70's the Glenelg Tigers, who originally were CY - Catholic Youth. They morphed into Southern as we know it over those years as Southern came from - Southern Celtics, Southern Districts who merged with Adelaide BC to become Adelaide Southern Suns, then the merge with NCT to become Southern Tigers.

Norwood morphed from Budapest who had those incredible Hungarian players out here after WW2. The Nagy brothers, among others, were Norwood stars who were the best known players from that club.

Camel 31 hasn't got it quite right with the amalgamation of West Adelaide and the Eagles. The Glenelg Tigers were in the very early NBL as was West Adelaide. The Tigers pulled out and were replaced by the Forestville Eagles who then morphed into the Adelaide City Eagles and then into the Adelaide 36ers.

West Adelaide had won the NBL Championship in 1982 and played the Canberrra Cannons in the NBL final in 1983. They pulled out in 1985 and many of their remaining players were selected in the 1985 36'ers team. This is when the 36'ers started to become really successful.

Reply #281918 | Report this post

JCK  
Years ago

For club history go to this sites for

Central Districts Lions: http://linky.com.au/256an

Eastern Mavericks: http://linky.com.au/ynzzl

Southern Tigers: http://linky.com.au/e9oey

Sturt Sabres: http://linky.com.au/95aph

Sorry I could not get more links

Reply #281983 | Report this post

Antiques roadshow  
Years ago

I can recall port adel playing friday night metro at forestville - ct 2 on the indoor cement ct. Sturt where united church then pioneers

Reply #281984 | Report this post

Antiques roadshow  
Years ago

Remember watching port play metro grade friday nights at forestville ct 2 indoor cement. They had collingwood style stripes. Sturt was united church then pioneers.

Reply #281985 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

That would be WDBC 30th AGM in Sep this year Anon
(First teams played May 1980)
While United Church (Sturt) first played May 1960

Time goes by awfully fast, doesn't it.

Reply #282096 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:28 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754