Quagmire
Years ago

Boozer reality check

Friend of mine knows i'm a Jazz fan and asked if i was spewing Boozer was gone.

My reply was;

'The last time a team won and NBA championship with a power forward under 6'10 not named Rodman was the Lakers with James Worthy. Over two decades ago.'

Boozer is not an answer, he will make the Bulls competitive, second round fodder, maybe conf finals fodder, but fodder none the less. When he's healthy.

Good luck to the Bulls.

Topic #23314 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even more luck to the Jazz, Millsap inst ready to avg 20/10 over 82 games! The Bulls have gone pretty deep recently without a power forward of any kind, so id say this is a good upgrade for them.

Reply #281890 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Probably a technicality of positions, but Ben Wallace is under 6'10" and won a championship as a starting centre even though the Pistons PF (Sheed) was over 6'10". Sometimes there's a stat for everything.

Reply #281891 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I agree with Quagmire.

Boozer is a double double machine but gets found out in the post season because of lack of size and defense.

He is an upgrade for the Bulls and given they missed out on the Lebron & Bosh is a solid pick up.

The error the Bulls have made IMO is signing him for 5 yr $80 mill deal instead of a max 2-3 yr deal.

Reply #281895 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

IMO, Boozer going to Chicago was beneficial for both the Bulls and the Jazz.

The Bulls got a double-double machine to complement Noah; Bulls get another scorer to complement Deng and Rose.

The Jazz get cap relief and the departure of Boozer allows the development of Millsap at the PF position. Millsap averaged 18 and 8 during the last playoffs, so there is no question he can be a double double threat night in night out next season.

Reply #281911 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Quagmire, I think you are just looking for someone to blame fr your lack of Championships at Utah! If you think you will be better off without the Booze, think again. My guess is and i'll take a bet with you, that Chicago will win more games than Utah!!! ;)

Reply #281960 | Report this post

Junga  
Years ago

Worthy was often listed as a power forward, and indeed did play some power forward, but he was much more of a small forward. Kurt Rambis and AC Green did most of the grunt work at power forward and sometimes even Mychal Thompson when he played along side Kareem (though this was rare.)

Reply #281979 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Yesss finally another loser Utah supporter! I dont seem to find many others like me :|

Think, everyone knew Boozer wanted to leave, therefore no one really wanted him there. They would prefer others who wanted to be there and wanted to play for the team.
Now that Booz is gone, we have Millsap at the PF and Koufos and Fesenko who are developing at the C. Add in Mehmet Okur back at the PF position and we arnt looking too bad!

Reply #281992 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Have to agree with Jake seeing the Booze against a bigger forward line he does struggle quite a bit.

Reply #282005 | Report this post

Billy  
Years ago

Miami heat won with Udonis Haslem who is only 6"9 I Believe.

Reply #282015 | Report this post

quagmire  
Years ago

Nice call on Udonis. Forgot that one.

I would actually like to see AK play the four position for the jazz.

He did a great job after Karl retired and playing the four was when he really come out as a 5X5 star.

Keep Milsap off the bench, let D-Will and Memo run pick n pops with AK triggering breaks by actually defending the hoop and not the perimeter.

The reality is, i look at the Lakers and the Celtics and it just reminds me of how far behind the rest of the league is in terms winning a championship.

Even this frankenstein Heat team will not get anywhere unless they find someone to man the defences in the middle.

Look at the matchups, D-wade and Kobe is even, Odom and Bosh is even. Lebron hates playing Artest, which really leaves Gasol to dominate again. Plus Bynum.

Of course if the celts are healthy they will win it all. Should of won it this year but for Perk's injury.

Reply #282022 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

As a Jazz fan the part that hurts the most about losing Boozer is the fact that in the process of keeping him for the full season last year we lost 2 young guns in Maynor and Brewer. Both were traded away for next to nothing due to money issues and now we lose carlos to free agency and get nothing in return.

Our roster for next season i think will struggle. Whilst Millsap can step into Boozers shoes, the other bigs on the bench are not going to be up to standard. I dont really rate any either Fesenko or Koufos as first of the bench players and Ronnie Price cant back up Williams consistently, as shown in the playoffs where he wasnt really a factor.

Wes Matthews was a shining light for us last year and really stepped up in the playoffs! He has just been signed to an offer sheet by Portland. Surely the Jazz would have to match the offer. Cant lose 2 starters for nothing and expect to be competitive.

On a brighter note, I was very impressed with the pick of Gordan Hayward and im delighted they didnt fall into the trap of picking ANOTHER big white guy in Aldrich! Hayward looks very mature for his age and whilst he isnt putting up amazing numbers in summer league, looks like he could slot in nicely in place of Kyle Korver in the rotations. Very disciplined and another good fit for Sloans game style!

Reply #282124 | Report this post

Chewie  
Years ago

The difference a week makes in FA. Utah fans I think would be pretty happy with signing Al Jefferson. Really gives you some options up front by playing the 4 and 5.

Reply #282440 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:44 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754