me3
Years ago

U/20 boys - forfeit frustration

Why is it that U20s are not included in juniors when it suits BSA.

All junior grades do not play until the last week of the school holidays except the u 20s.

Are they juniors or are they seniors make your mind up BSA.

we should not have to travel to be told sorry the team you are playing is forfeting tonight. Wake up BSA

Topic #23356 | Report this topic

Techfoul17  
Years ago

mate you need to get over it, you play mid-week just like seniors and thats what happens! happens all the time Seniors or Juniors, travel half way around Adelaide to find out you have no game, its not basketball Sa's fault, so stop complaining!

Reply #282550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm with me3. Why do some juniors get a break for holidays but not this level. Considering they have spilt div twos into top 8 and bottom eight in the middle of school holidays the finals will be impacted by who could field a full team this week

Reply #282552 | Report this post

young smart arse  
Years ago

You have the roster your players need to plan their holidays around the games not games planned around your holidays.

Reply #282558 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Reading this, your complaint is not with the travel or with BSA. It's with the forfeiting team. Make the penalty so extreme that clubs will take it seriously and do all they can to avoid forfeits. Second only to terrorism, forfeits are the greatest threat to freedom, democracy, our game and society. No more forfeits!

Reply #282574 | Report this post

fair call  
Years ago

this would be wests Under 20's again, think it is rude, if you know you are not going to have enough players a simple phone call to the opposing club wouldnt hurt. their div 1 team did the same a few weeks back, drove all the way from morphett vale in peak hour traffic for a 6.30 game and not one of them rolled up, there is club contact numbers on the website for every club!!!!!

Reply #282582 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

probably is BSA decision to move to tueSday and clash with reserves - didnt have problem when were on friday

Reply #282585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are too many forfeits in both mens and women's U20/21 and when you arrive at Morphett Vale to find out its not happening it just adds to the frustration

Reply #282597 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Might be a bit beyond BSA, but what about a broadcast system with mobile numbers for players on file (would almost everyone 17-19 years old have a mobile?) and an approved set of representatives from each club with access to use the system in appropriate cases?

e.g., Game time is 8pm. By 5:30pm, Team A realise they can't get a team together so their designated player (captain, presumably) notifies one of the approved club reps from the opposing team who can send out a message to Team B's players? Bulk SMS might be 8c. Team of 8-15 should be under $2 to notify.

Funded by early forfeit charge of $10 or late forfeit charge of $100 to motivate teams to give their opponents enough warning (so as to not waste petrol driving across town).

Bit half-baked maybe.

Reply #282607 | Report this post

rose chen  
Years ago

maybe u can contact me.thk u.

Reply #282616 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I'm enjoying rose chen's nonsensical contributions to the forum today

Reply #282620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great idea Isaac but judging by past experience about a decade away from implementation while BSA examine it and then proceed to tell us why it can't work.

Reply #282623 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

SVD, it's a spammer who doesn't realise the forum doesn't have author footers and that no one can see their email address. Kinda funny.

Reply #282631 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

anybody get data on number of forfeits this season
too lazy to look through fixtures -
be intersting to compare over lets say last 3 - 5 season - i bet this season be a peak - considerable peak
take into account the "no show teams " at state champs which just deplorable - showcase comp and only 6 teams competed i think so much for the 10 affliated clubs - bet Magic wouyuld have fielded a side -
surely somebody get a theory on why ??

Reply #282664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

State champs is an irrelevancy in today's basketball because of the way BASA and ten BSA have allowed two dominant clubs to emerge rather than develop a system that breeds competition.
We remain a toddler in a grown up world of sport and basketball is in nappies with the same people changing them.

Reply #282669 | Report this post

Charon  
Years ago

So anon are you saying that the 2 dominant clubs should be penalised for being good?

Because that would be anti competition. The other clubs just have themsleves to blame.

and PS it really is just 1 club.

Reply #282670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By the time you understand the damage this present structure has caused it will be too late to fix it. Several clubs are in real trouble in the juniors with numbers and the quality. Woodville, Wests, Centrals and Souths are struggling for junior numbers and quality and you could throw in Southern and Mavericks (post their recent influx of other club's players) into the mix.
Competition at the junior level is a non existent commodity in most age groups and across gender in way too many situations despite some individual teams surprises. Essentially for the past decade BSA & BASA welcomed this super clubs mentality.
Business long ago was forced out of monopolies/duopolies as governments recognized the dangers of such monoliths but BSA has embraced it.
BSA seems to think the association model is panacea for all its problems rather than see the numbers just don't stack up and instead of strengthening what it has is looking to add to the problems by taking on more clubs into the fold.
Their isn't a junior basketball competition in South Australia just district games in which the results are decided amongst one two or at most three teams.
When forfeits become common place and occur even at state champs because players don't give a shite it's time to look at what the word competition means.
How BSA can sit on its hands and allow the best players from the weakest clubs to transfer to the strongest and not realize the eventual impact of this is beyond me. Why call it district basketball when it really is any district basketball.

Reply #282682 | Report this post

Charon  
Years ago

The question is; is this BSA's fault, or the fault of those clubs who have failed to follow the lead of the strong and appoint a full time DO, rather than spending on imports and the such at ABA level.

How can BSA stop clubs themselves from doing the wrong thing?

Reply #282684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Okay, lets forget who is at fault as it serves no purpose but address the what is.
Is there a major problem in junior basketball at district level? Why is district basketball not competitive? Is the concept of super clubs in basketball's best interest in South Australia? Should we trim the number of district clubs to six and establish a new basketball association that is forward thinking and values competition? Can the ten team concept work with such a small population base and without radical changes to the structure? Should BSA be actively seeking to add to district club numbers or should it be introducing proactive guidelines to improve the existing competition?
Does anyone believe the association model can or will work in Adelaide given the resources and volunteers don't exist to operate them effectively?
The best way to reinvigorate the interest in basketball is to make it competitive. Blaming X, Y and Z clubs for their ineptitude, laziness or lack of foresight might be personally fulfilling but it doesn't fix the base problem.
I don't think there are not enough kids playing basketball for ten clubs to survive but if BSA is powerless to act to get rid of clubs then it should act to ensure the 10 clubs have the best chance of being competitive.

Reply #282685 | Report this post

Charon  
Years ago

How will they "make" a competition competition?

If people are moving clubs because some clubs are providing a poor service, how does stopping them from moving improve the service?

Reply #282692 | Report this post

me3  
Years ago

why should we listen to someone called "anonymous" put your name in or dont make such long comments

Reply #282708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so by putting 'me3' in you think your somehow better then an "anonymous"?

Reply #282711 | Report this post

me 3  
Years ago

I am known around junior basketball circles

Reply #282756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

me3, known by whom? Adopting a non de plume suggests anonymity to me

Reply #282767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

me3 if you're so sure you're known, then why not use your actual name?

Reply #282771 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

me 3 - hmm. me thinks youre anon.

Reply #282795 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

Does it matter who is whom ?

I would think you discuss an idea on its merits, not on the name, sex, height, skin colour or speeling ability of the person who either espouses it or brings it in from some one else -

Do you really want to make it clear that it truely is really more important to you "who" says it than "what" is being said ?

It does seem that 10 clubs, who are not spread very well around geographically, are too many, but how to change that ?

Reply #283161 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:42 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754