Anonymous
Years ago

AIS Development Camp feedback

I am reading a lot of debate about the relative merits of the selected athletes currently at the u 17 girls at the Worlds. Any feedback re: the next wave of girls from the recent Development Camp at the AIS Who did well, who surprised etc.

Topic #23375 | Report this topic

anonymous  
Years ago

Were there any asked from the recent U16 Nationals from SA, I have not seen any lists of who was invited

Reply #282948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The June camp consisted of players from the 18 Nationals in April.
But did not include any of the current u/17 group.

Boys group was exceptional in terms of size and talent.

Reply #282950 | Report this post

Hydra 87  
Years ago

Do the coaches look at competition or traing drills? Going by the current U/17's it must be training drills

Reply #282957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Athletes selected on a number of different criteria. One was through observation at the 16s nationals in tassie last year. Athletes were also nominated by state ITP coaches (or equivalent) based on observation at camps, State club champs etc. You would hope that selectors have been around long enough to see through the "warm up kings" and select on ability to "play" not just train. Athletes were also nominated after 18s nationals but not solely on these as was suggested in an earlier post. At least 2 girls at this camp did not play at the 18s nationals and a few were also 16s therefore did not play either. My understanding is that potential to represent Aus was a consideration. This may result in some surprises as these athletes may have been selected on what they will be able to do, not what they currently can do.

Reply #283024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting the top scorer of the 16 nationals didn't even get offered a spot at camp.

Reply #283029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure of the protocol so i wont use names but I think the top scorer was from NSW metro with 196 points. If this is the young lady you were refering to she was invited to the camp.

Reply #283085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can confirm. She was invited.

Reply #283986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting to see if most of the girls will be invited back to September camp.
I hear from this camp they are picking a team to go to Noumea.
Hope some new players get a chance as well.

Reply #284030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New players?
Most of this group would have been at 18 nationals. With only the classics since then, to show your talents its hard to see much change.

Reply #284032 | Report this post

Europa 16  
Years ago

I assume you mean other than at ITC training each week?

Reply #284039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

when do the players get selected?

Reply #284169 | Report this post

Ariel 71  
Years ago

Any players other than those already looked at will only come via being pushed through your states ITC program. Who ever is at the head of your states program has all the say, so you will have to meet their criteria. Any queries from any parties regarding any potential talented player is also directed through your ITC head coach, metro or country. So basically, if you are not on their radar or they plainly just don't like you - good luck!

Reply #284908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Girls weren't told when they would hear whether they are invited back. My understanding is that if you get a letter you are going, if you dont hear anything, you aren't. That said, the next camp is in Sept so i guess if the girls haven't heard yet, it must be soon.

Reply #284917 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

well somebody could look at seniors eg seable d league and big v, in victoria alot of girls bottom age 18s are playing and a few killing it in this comp and i dont see any of these girls invited or even looked at

Reply #285029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am assuming that these bottom aged girls that are "killing them" would also play VJBL and possibly have tried out for the state team in which case they certainly would have been looked at. Selectors were also present at club championships. They also considered opinions from state itc and equivalent. Hard to imagine these guns did not play VJBL or try out for State teams or belong to ITC/IAP or compete with their club at club champs. If however they have not been involved in any of the above, how do you know that these girls haven't been looked at.

Reply #285036 | Report this post

Europa 71  
Years ago

There are a couple of 16 and 17 year old girls doing exceptionally well in the D-league and big V against much bigger and older girls , you only need to look at the overall stats to see that. These girls will hopefully be forging their own reputations of being actually able to play without the big P word (potential) being loosely used to push players, friends and associates through the state and itc programs with most never to be heard of again. Best advice: Get out of juniors, play, work hard and hopefully good things will follow.

Reply #285084 | Report this post

random  
Years ago

sounds like this is all over the country. we have some talent here too that are involved in ITC and are consistantly representing their state 16's 18's and club at classics (and winning classics!) but cant crack a chance to show there stuff at an aussie camp because they are not pushed forward by there respected coaches or obviously not liked as you put it

Reply #286251 | Report this post

annoyed  
Years ago

Attendance or an invite to a Aus Dev Camp definietly must not come down to strong performances at 16/s (09/10) (in the top scorers as a 14yo/15yo)nor NITP program (if you hardly ever hear from the NITP), and winning State championships. even if you have talent, work hard - there is little chance but to forgot about these opportunities and do the work needed by yourself. The further you are away from the Capital city the worse off Country QLD kids are treated.

Reply #286255 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:56 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754