Anonymous
Years ago

Chris Paul Wants Out Now

Sounds like he wants to team up with another superstar or 2 ala lebron/wade/bosh. It;s all too likely and you'll see why if you read the whole article. The way things are going we could possibly see an NBA where the top 20 players are only spread across 4 or 5 teams and the other teams are left with nobody. This could possibly get out of hand. The true stars like MJ and Kobe who didnt need 7 other superstars to win must be sick at so many of the stars seemingly wanting to team up these days.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/13659617/new-hornets-brass-already-facing-crisis-with-paul

Topic #23405 | Report this topic

Elite  
Years ago

New York with Melo and Amare....

Reply #283373 | Report this post

bear the 2nd  
Years ago

Not that I disagree entirely with the sentiment posted above, but Gasol is definitely equal if not better than Amare and Bosh, and Shaq was at his peak in 2000-02 so its hard to say Kobe did it alone. I would also ague that Pippen was a true superstar in his own right (see Bulls 1994-1995), and his defensive abilities perhaps even put him above Anthony.

All megastars need some help along the line. My concern with these top loaded teams is a lack of support such as a Horace Grant, Derek Harper, Fisher, or Horry types.

Maybe Lebron would have been better off with the Bulls, with Rose, Boozer, Noah and a deep roster already established.

Reply #283377 | Report this post

Chewy  
Years ago

LeBron would definitely have been better off with the Bulls, their squad is far deeper and better balanced both inside and out to compete in the East.

As for Kobe and Jordan, yes, there was Gasol and Pippen, but both KB and MJ showed that they were "The Man" of their respective team. Furthermore, these guys didn't jump ship to join other "stars" which is something LeBron and Bosh have done, and it appears that Paul wants to do something similar. Kobe and MJ were the building blocks of the team, the team was built around them, and they were players who have stayed with one club for the majority (if not their entire) careers.

Reply #283396 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

CP3 is a competitor and can clearly see his current franchise is all about financial statements, not championships.

Fair call to say you want out in a situation like that- you only get one career.

Knicks would LOVE to have him, but i can see Cuban working hard for that trade to Dallas.

Magic would be an imposing situation too.

I must admit, all the rumour about the New York big three of Paul, Melo and Amare is exciting too.... but can it really happen when sign n trades need to occur and the knicks don't have much to offer???

Reply #283401 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

He really has no say where he goes. He doesn't have a no trade clause and is under contract. The hornets will just deal him to the highest bidder if they are smart. He really shouldn't have signed that extension a few years back.

Reply #283411 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

I find it funny that people hate on players for being "disloyal", but teams/franchises can trade players like they are cattle, and barely any comment is made.

Let's be honest here, Bosh would NEVER have won anything in Toronto, I know that, you haters know that, and he definitely knew it. He was a FREE (emphasis on FREE!) agent, so he moved where he thinks he can win, good luck to him. Why would he move to somewhere like, the Kings for instance, where it would ostensibly be the same situation for him? Of course he is gonna go where there is another good player or players.

And people always bringing up the "LBJ should've gone to the Bulls" argument, when trying to sledge LBJ/Miami really irks me. So it wouldn't have been just as disloyal to join the Bulls? Sounds like some bitter Bulls fans to me.

Wade = building block. One team, entire career, teams built around him.

Good luck to CP3, he does need to leave that club, they have no chance of ever winning anything with their attitude. Should've been a major player in the West a couple of years back, but have only gone backwards. Try and get to Miami CP3, the Heat would love to have ya!!

Reply #283412 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Let me preface this by saying I am a Lakers fan:

"The true stars like MJ and Kobe who didnt need 7 other superstars to win must be sick at so many of the stars seemingly wanting to team up these days."

Kobe won his first three rings with the most dominant player in the game. He wasn't the best player on the team. He won his next two rings with a future hall of famer, Pau Gasol (for his NBA & international exploits), Lamar Odom (one of the most versatile & talented players to ever play the game), Andrew Bynum (one of the most talented young big men in the game today) & for his last title Ron Artest a former Defensive Player of the year.

Jordan also had help, namely Scottie Pippen (Named one of the 50 greatest players of all time) and Dennis Rodman one of the best ever defensive players & rebounders.

Bird had Parish & McHale & a cast of superstars (Walton, DJ, etc.)

Magic had Kareem & Worthy & Cooper & Scott & Nixon & others.

Most of the best teams in the history of the league have had 2 or three superstars.

Give these guys a break, enjoy watching them play and enjoy even more the lakers getting a 3peat.

Reply #283414 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

As a Hornets fan, I've been hoping this would happen. I'd be fully in favour of a trade for the right player(s). We have an excellent drop-in replacement with Collison, and the Hornets are doomed to eternal mediocrity with the current squad. A trade for another stud or two certainly wouldn't make them any worse, and would hopefully make them better.

Reply #283416 | Report this post

Phobos  
Years ago

The problem is not their moving, but that LBJ pretty much lied to all the franchises that courted him over the free agent process and didn't give his home town team the cavs a chance to sign other people over the last 2 years by not committing and then told the cavs that they weren't doing enough.

And that the decision had been made 3 month, if not 18 month prior.

It looks to many people that he is a massive hypocrite and F*%cked over the cavs team he told he would stay until they win, on nationals TV in a self promoting shambles. And at the same time gave them no chance to improve, but infact made it impossible for their improvement.

Look at the way Kevin durrant has done things and we see why he will quickly become the next league MVP (aka Suoerman) while Lebron become Robin to Wades Batman. And I think that means Bosh is catwoman.

(Mod: Lil ball for the catwoman joke!)

Reply #283425 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

I agree the TV 'show' was ridiculous and over the top, but unfortunately, that's what him, his entourage, and his fanboys have created....a media monster/whore.

And yes, he should have been better to the Cavs in the end too. I believe they did get a sign-and-trade in the end with Miami for a cap exception (correct me if I'm wrong), not much I know, and they could've got a better deal had he signed earlier, but still it's not like they are completely empty-handed.

And every free agent will lie to some team eventually during the process. They'll say that they're considering them, even if they know they're not.

Look, I am not a fan of LBJ (in fact, if you ask my mates, you'll find out I don't really like him much at all), I just think that to be critical of him (and Bosh, to a lesser extent) for teaming up together is crap. That is sport in the modern age, it's been happening for 20 (or more) years now.

I love Durant, but that is the difference...he has not had his ear pissed into since early High School about being the G.O.A.T. (haha!) like LBJ has. He is a level-headed, mature young man, where LeBron is not. But, mark my words, if OKC fall in a massive hole in the next 5 years, he will ask to be sent somewhere with another good player present to win as well....great players want to win, role players and scrubs will play anywhere for a cheque. Loyalty in Pro Sports is dead.

Reply #283436 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's hardly a friendly gesture to delay revealing your decision when you've obviously made it months and months beforehand, but if you want to maximise your chances of success with the Heat, you clearly want to screw up as much of the competition in the process.

Reply #283442 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

I hereby propose a new corollary for Godwin's Law: as the number of internet posts about basketball increases, the probability of the thread turning into a debate about LeBron James approaches 1.

Reply #283448 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Who's to say he made his decision months ago? Why haven't people been having a go at Wade considering he basically went to all the other clubs finding out how they were pitching to guys like LBJ and Bosh and then feeding that information back to the Heat? This is the world of sport now, it's a BUSINESS!!!

Reply #283449 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I'm a Knicks fan and CP3 is more than welcome to join the Knicks along with Melo.

Melo, CP3 and Amare in Knick uniforms. I love it.

Alan Houston might become the team's next GM.

We just need Charles Oakley back.

Reply #283453 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

There were some mumbling done early last week that the Bobcats were looking at doing a deal to obtain CP3 by using the DUST chip along with some draft picks. Previously Dallas had used the DUST chip in an attempt to get CP3, but got knocked back by the Bower (who was later sacked). Charlotte made that trade to basically get Dampier's contract, then follow up with using it in a CP3 trade if the new GM of the Hornets was told to shed salary and quickly.

In the same mumblings, there was talk that IF the Hornets agreed to the trade and CP3 went to Charlotte, then Melo would refuse to sign the extension with the Nuggets. MJ would of then dangled multiply draft picks, Boris, Hendo and DJ to get Melo.

CP3 and Melo are also part of Team Jordan.....

Reply #283456 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

And just imagine if they'd taken Lopez instead of Augustine!

Reply #283468 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Don't start me on that Juror... That sh*tty draft cost me a 42" plasma tv....

Reply #283496 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Speed44, can you forward contact details of your mates, just want to confirm your really don't like LeBron :-)

Reply #283512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Knicks want Chris Paul, Chris Paul wants the Knicks. They just signed Raymond Felton and can't trade him for 3 months. The Hornets will want Felton along with Gallinari or Randolph, also possibly throw in Turiaf to make the contracts match.

...and next year use the expiring contracts of Eddy Curry, Wilson Chandler and Kelenna Azubuike to sign Carmelo Anthony

Reply #283548 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

If Melo truely wants the Knicks we won't sign his extension and will join them next season. If he re-signs, the Knicks will need a better offer on the table than Curry, Chandler and Buike. The Knicks can't really afford to chuck 1st rounders into the deal. They still need to build their roster for the future.

Why would the Hornets want Felton at his cost?? They have a perfectly good starter in Collison who is on a rookie contract. Felton is paid too much for a back-up.

Reply #283552 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Ha! Big Ads, if I sent you my Facebook page with me bitching about my beloved Heat signing LeBron, would that be enough? ;-)

Reply #283558 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Re the comments above about all the superstars becoming concentrated on new teams, I think you'll find that this will be thwarted because:
1) teams will go back to trading star players in their final year if they think there is any chance they won't accept an extension;
2) Stern and the owners may attempt to make this sort of thing more difficult in the new CBA agreement.

Agree that CP3 should try to find a way out of NO, they have done nothing to suggest they will even try to put a team around him thats capable of challenging for a title. Probably not a lot he can do for a couple of years though as he still has 3 years (final one a player option) on his contract.

Agree with Nutwork's post above too. The idea that one player carries his team to the title is just wrong. EVERY team that wins the title has several very good players to support their main star.

Reply #283654 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:19 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754