Anonymous
Years ago

Refs: Post-move & step-through - Travel or not?

A player receives in the right block, drop steps to the baseline base using right foot(1 step), dribbles and jump stops (2nd step) square to the basket and then steps through with outside foot (left foot) to finish with right hand- is this a travel or is it not and why? I thought because of the jump stop after the dribble the player is entitled to take that step (because it's as if they were pivoting).

Topic #23408 | Report this topic

if you jump stop you can pivot or step off either foot.

if it was tonight - welcome to thursday night u16 reffing - kids must stay on from miniball to ref district.

I appreciate we are short of refs - but training twice a week and driving half way over town to be reffed by someone that doesnt know the rules / mechanics....

we had the lead ref making calls from the front court (when the ball was in the back court) tonight with his back to the ball looking over his shoulder - and right under the trail refs nose.

dont get me started.....

Reply #283395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the example you have used the travel should be called only after and if the right foot lands on the ground and the player still has the ball

Reply #283474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

when you say the right foot landing, is that following the step through with the left? therefore if the right foot remains in the air until the shot is up, it is okay?

Reply #283482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats correct, pivot on your left foot, step through with your left, once you lift your pivot foot (Left) it cant come back to the floor if you have the ball still

Reply #283484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stepthrough mvoes are causing so much confusion. These moves are becoming very popular. My understanding is if you are dribbling and on the dribble jumpstop, landing on 2 feet, as the ball is bouncing you can take one step of either foot. The first foot hits the ground and you can lift you other foot but not put it back down.

I see this get called for travel but then I see the other extreme where kids pickup the ball then jumpstop. To me, this is travel.

I'm no ref just a coach that played and trying to keep track of our ever evolving game.

Reply #283487 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Really need a bit more explanation of the move made here to determine if it is a travel.

My understanding is NBA/AIS players are taught to pick the ball up while they are in the air about to land into the jump stop. This is how they get what appears to the eye to be that extra other step.

Social players who have some hand contact with the ball, then jump to make the jump stop dont get that extra step, whether it is for a step through or whatever the move is.

Reply #283503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ballinger fan, i'll try be clearer. Player has ball, the player drop steps with right and then dribbles left hand and picks up the ball when jump stopping. After the jump stop, he then steps through using the left foot.

I think this is in line with what you mentioned about nba/ais. yer?

Reply #283504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can "step - jump", but you can't "jump - step"

Reply #283521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

therefore?

Reply #283536 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

i use this move all the time and i often get away with travelling (dragging my pivot foot). i believe most refs recognise it as a legit move even if they dont understand the mechanics behind it

Reply #283540 | Report this post

thumbs up  
Years ago

if you jump stop off the dribble - you take take a step through (1 step) when the second foot hit the ground on the second step through and you have not released the ball it is travel.

if you jump stop off your shooting step and attempt a step through of any description it is travel.

so -

legal - dribble, jump stop, step through, shoot
illegal - dribble, shooting steps, jump stop, step through

Reply #283549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how is this different to a bunny hop which is 1-2-1 (step, jump stop, step)?

Reply #283560 | Report this post

thumbs up  
Years ago

bunny hop is travel

Reply #283572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thumbs up, therefore, in this example. because the player is dropstepping first and then dribbling the ball into the jump stop it is different to the bunny hop which is a step and jump stop without any dribbles?

Reply #283580 | Report this post

thumbs up  
Years ago

the player can drop step as long as he does not lift his pivot foot before dribbling - if he drop steps with his pivot or "catching foot" it is travel (if he caught off a stride step - not a jump stop).

bunny hop is different - it comes off a dribble not a drop step.

Reply #283603 | Report this post

thumbs up  
Years ago

so i have presumed he has not drop stepped with his pivot foot making that first move legal.

Reply #283604 | Report this post

thumbs up  
Years ago

this may help

http://linky.com.au/5d4e5

now this presumes they have caught it on a jump stop or have had both feet on the ground to start with.

now these guys just lay it up of a drop step.

if you can imagine a jump stop with a step through from that.....

Reply #283605 | Report this post

thumbs up  
Years ago

Reply #283606 | Report this post

thumbs up  
Years ago

now after we have clarified all that -

http://linky.com.au/6nuww

to totally do our heads in...

Reply #283607 | Report this post

Fleagle  
Years ago

Are you following this Frosty or should they type slower!

Reply #283612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thumbs up, thanks for your research. regarding the first video, that is the one i feel most similar to the original situation.

1)As in the video, the drop step happens first (from right block)player drop steps baseline using right leg and pivot leg remains stationary
2)With the pivot leg still stationary, the player then dribbles and lifts pivot leg off ground
3)Jump stop landing off the dribble
4)From the jump stop, the player steps through under the basket with left leg.

the confusion being that the drop step is the first step, the jump stop is the second and then the step through is the third.

i just don't get how it isn't a travel because it is 3 steps?

thanks for your patience thumbs up!!

Reply #283625 | Report this post

thumbs up  
Years ago

forget the first step as your player has dribbled without lifting the pivot foot - so they have not taken 3 steps - which is where your understanding is confusing you - it is what happens after the dribble.

lebrons utube gets messy because they are talking about the dribble finishing when the ball leaves the ground for the last time - but it is when it gets back into the players hand.

Reply #283628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so step 1 is the jump stop and step 2 is the step through therefore it is not a travel?

i think we have almost got there!

Reply #283634 | Report this post

thumbs up  
Years ago

forget about everything until after the jump stop.

the drop step is legal.
the dribble is legal.
the jump stop is legal.

now the first step through will determine the pivot foot - as long as the pivot foot stays planted the player can pivot step as much as they like.

once they take a "step through" and lift their pivot foot the shot must be out of the hand by the time the pivot foot hits the ground (which would be the second step through step)

Reply #283662 | Report this post

Humpa  
Years ago

ugh is there a video for this because I'm having trouble imagining it.

From what I've tried to gather: Not a travel - the pivot foot hasn't been established. I am assuming the guys doing a layup though on the last step.

Reply #283668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

getting back to that first step, to be fully clear, after the drop step, the player dribbles and the only time the pivot leg comes off the ground is to jump up for the jump stop landing, correct?

Reply #283695 | Report this post

thumbs up  
Years ago

humpa yes

anon - i imagine the pivot foot would do at least one step whilst dribbling - it's a little bit of a power move.
If you have drop stepped and dribbled, physically the next thing is a step with your pivot (or trail) leg, usually one bounce as you drop step off the block is enough to get a square up jump stop under the boards, then the one step through and hey ho a basket !

Reply #283868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Made a jump stop with a step through to the basket last night and they continually called a travel ??

Reply #313263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ever considered you didn't do the move properly?

Reply #313268 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:36 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754